Bakker XXVII: Shimeh by way of Momemn

Rhom

I wonder if the lack of news is related at all to his complete disappearance from the interwebs. No new blog posts in almost a month. About 3 weeks since his last tweet. Kind of unusual for Bakker to be quiet for so long.

While early on in my reread of TWP, this struck me: Why does Akka have to teach Kellhus algebra? While certainly the Dunyain weren't around for Ajencis, they had to have an original understanding of algebra and higher math didn't they? Why wouldn't they have learned that as part of their training?

But why would they bother? Logic would help them reason better and make objective choices at the level of the individual, and logical argument could help them in a variety of societal choices.

Group theory wouldn't contribute much to that, save where it might intersect logic. Plus, from a meta-perspective, IIRC Bakker wasn't very familiar with higher math until talking to HE about some stuff?

I wonder if the lack of news is related at all to his complete disappearance from the interwebs. No new blog posts in almost a month. About 3 weeks since his last tweet. Kind of unusual for Bakker to be quiet for so long.

Yeah, highly unusual. If something happened to him we would know, right?

Yeah, highly unusual. If something happened to him we would know, right?

After reading the manuscript, the thing called Madness peeled his face off and dumped the body in a nearby canal.

Unjon, thought so. I believe with whoever said it, that it will have something to do with a baby being born while the no-god walks.you have any idea who the no-god will use as a vessel? I'm leaning towards lil Moe or Cnauir. I say this cause I believe Cnauir is alive and is with the Consult. Just my crackpot.

Anther thing, no one has commented on me finding 'ecstatic' being used to describe Yatwer's followers during the sex scene. Now I believe it was used in the right context there. But, u clearly can't tell me that's what he meant to call the Dunyain. That's a misprint. You dont use to different definitions of the word to describe two different cults. That just way too confusing. The Dunyain are ascetic, and Bakker clearly made a mistake. And describing Yatwer's followers as ecstatic is the proof.

Anther thing, no one has commented on me finding 'ecstatic' being used to describe Yatwer's followers during the sex scene. Now I believe it was used in the right context there. But, u clearly can't tell me that's what he meant to call the Dunyain. That's a misprint. You dont use to different definitions of the word to describe two different cults. That just way too confusing. The Dunyain are ascetic, and Bakker clearly made a mistake. And describing Yatwer's followers as ecstatic is the proof.

Your prize. Your proof!

But anyway, I haven't commented on it, because if it's a misprint, well, big deal. If it's not, then... also no big deal. Pretty minor issue all around.

I think you're waaaaaay too hung up on that. Beyond the fact that Bakker has confirmed it as accurate, he never said the Dunyain were an ecstatic cult, but that they came from ecstatic cults, a significant difference. The term "ecstatic cults" can actually have a variety of different definitions depending on the context and there are definitions of ecstatic that fit very well with what the Dunyain are trying to do. Ecstasy (philosophy): "According to Plotinus ecstasy is the culmination of human possibility." Sounds kind of like the self moving soul to me.

I'm not sure if we've discussed this before, but I was starting a reread of tDtCB and I realized that we really don't know about how or why the Dunyain became who they were (or are).

More interesting though is, how did they know where to find Ishual? Or are we to think they just blindly happened upon it? It seems really unlikely to find it on blind chance, since for 2000 years after that no one else does, but I guess it is possible.

I'm not sure if we've discussed this before, but I was starting a reread of tDtCB and I realized that we really don't know about how or why the Dunyain became who they were (or are).

More interesting though is, how did they know where to find Ishual? Or are we to think they just blindly happened upon it? It seems really unlikely to find it on blind chance, since for 2000 years after that no one else does, but I guess it is possible.

Just my opinion, but I think Seswatha founded them and sent them there.

Archived