Can you read Cersei's chapters first?

FacelessMan7

Finishing up ASOS right now, and would like to know if, for AFFC, you can just read all 10 of Cersei's chapters first and then go read all the other chapters? Are there any other chapters that go long with her story? I just don't want to get to Cersei VI or something and be confused when they mention huge plot points I don't know/understand yet.

Thanks in advance!

The Jaime chapters largerly take place in between the Cersei chapters. With both of them at KL, you might not understand what is going on in a Cersei chapter when you've skipped the previous Jaime chapter. In her chapters, Cersei also talks about stuff that happens in the chapters of other POVs, besides Jaime. So you'll spoil that for yourself by reading only Cersei.

So if I have to recommend something, I recommend reading the book in its entirety, all the chapters in the order they've been put in the book in. Stuff that happens in chapter 21, for example, will be spoiled if you read the Cersei that follows it, chapter 24, before reading chapter 21 itself.

I would recommend using this list that allows you to read Feast and Dance combined chronologically.

I don't think you should read an individual character's chapters first, because like Rhaenys_Targaryen said above, it will spoil stuff from other chapters. That's not really worth it IMO. You can always read both books in order, as written; that's the way it's meant to be read. But in my experience, reading each book individually didn't really work for me. I got about halfway through Feast, and then stalled out. I missed a lot of the characters that I was familiar with. And I thought there wasn't as much going on. Combining Feast and Dance combats that problem. The list that I linked is put in an order so as not to spoil anything. It is very well done, IMO.

Hope that helped. Bottom line, don't read the Cersei chapters alone. Let me know what you think!

I would honestly say you should just read Feast straight. parts of it may drag, but i think skipping chapters is dangerous, because you miss subtle little nuances in the story, and if i know Martin, he likes to sprinkle little clues and plot points throughout his book. Skipping chapters means you're going to skimp yourself on some of the main plot points (hint hint Brienne)

Hmm, I think I will try reading AFFC and ADWD at the same time then. I have both on my Kindle, so it's just a matter of going back to the TOC's every chapter. Thanks!

I regret not doing this. I had only just found out the books weren't chronological right before I finished AFFC

Archived