Dothraki: The most Villainous Culture?

Mal Malenkirk

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Ghiscari are the worst. One of their public entertainments is throwing slave children into bear pits and make bets on which one will get eaten first, another is to have old women and dwarfs kill each other with hammers and meat cleavers. Two of their most important exports are Unsullied (their creation process being described quite explicitly to Dany in Astapor) and trained sex slaves.

While the Dothraki commit plenty of atrocities too they don't tend to be as thought out and systematic as what the Ghiscari do. A lot of the wars they fight are indirectly caused by the Slaver's Bay's demand for fresh slaves, too.

I love the Dothraki.

I love the tribal customs, the nomadic lifestyle, everything.

I was involved with a group called Tuchux ( not SCA but we went to sca events sometimes) which remind me very much of the Dothraki....they are so similar I always wondered if Grrm was familiar with the SCA or had ever been to Pennsic (a HUGE ren-fair/war in pennsylvania every August for like the past 40 years )

It's a matter of perspective, I always defend the Ironborn in post like these too...but I have a serious fondness for the horselords.

Why should they have regards for anyone outside their circle?? That's what a Tribe is. (the ones that last longest anyway)

I really like the scenes of Vaes Dothrak with all the statues of stolen Gods everywhere....sue me. :smoking:

so ill just dip by your house later, ill start the afternoon off by raiding your fridge, fucking your girlfriend and then enslaving your grandmother. this is when the night really heats up.. you know those really nice things you have?

the tv, the laptop, the car.

naaah, fuck that.

they're mine now.

its all good though, im dothraki.

so ill just dip by your house later, ill start the afternoon off by raiding your fridge, fucking your girlfriend and then enslaving your grandmother. this is when the night really heats up.. you know those really nice things you have?

the tv, the laptop, the car.

naaah, fuck that.

they're mine now.

its all good though, im dothraki.

Wow.

Such moral indignation!!!!! Especially since this is a FANTASY.

My grandmas dead but she would have kicked your ass probably in RL....hard ass that one.

Absolutey. If anyone in the storyline doesnt have somthing useful to them in some way (dragons) and can't respect the Tribe(Jorah respects the tribe and is strong) then get out of the way. You are dead.

and yaknow what? It's all good because they are Dothraki.

Also, since you're having such a violent response to this, I think I'll use it as my next tagline or somthing.

"I'ts all good though, I'm Dothraki"

Wow.

My grandmas dead but she would have kicked your ass probably in RL....hard ass that one.

Absolutey. If anyone in the storyline doesnt have somthing useful to them in some way (dragons) and can't respect the Tribe(Jorah respects the tribe and is strong) then get out of the way. You are dead.

and yaknow what? It's all good because they are Dothraki.

Also, since you're having such a violent response to this, I think I'll use it as my next tagline or somthing.

"I'ts all good though, I'm Dothraki"

my point exactly,

they only value strength.

they're literally the ass end of the genetic pool. they eat horse and dog. and have little capacity for brains.

just a sad, angry people, content with squatting in the desert. they can display strength, but too chicken shit to get on a boat.

yeah, fuck that.

real impressive culture there.

Wow.

I see more indignation in your post than his, which was pretty funny.

Yeah it's fantasy. It can still be pointed out that the entire Dothraki culture behave like Gregor Clegane and his men but with a veneer of 'noble savage'.

my point exactly,

they only value strength.

they're literally the ass end of the genetic pool. they eat horse and dog. and have little capacity for brains.

just a sad, angry people, content with squatting in the desert. they can display strength, but too chicken shit to get on a boat.

yeah, fuck that.

real impressive culture there.

O.k.

We'll see who ends up Dead and who doesn't. Pretty simple?

oh and (hehe)

Squatting in the desert? sad??? No way. They love their way of life!

Changing them would be Tragic.

I see more indignation in your post than his, which was pretty funny.

Yeah it's fantasy. It can still be pointed out that the entire Dothraki culture behave like Gregor Clegane and his men but with a veneer of 'noble savage'.

That would be an awesome read though, wouldn't it? That's what's funny.

I remember the Mercy chapter when Daena told her: "And Westerosi. They’re terrible savages, Mercy. Best stay well away from his sort.” That was fun to read and somewhat true. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote, if you were neighbour to the Ironborn and happened that the Dothraki replaced them, you'd pray for the old gods and the new for them to return.

I love the Dothraki.

I love the tribal customs, the nomadic lifestyle, everything.

I was involved with a group called Tuchux ( not SCA but we went to sca events sometimes) which remind me very much of the Dothraki....they are so similar I always wondered if Grrm was familiar with the SCA or had ever been to Pennsic (a HUGE ren-fair/war in pennsylvania every August for like the past 40 years )

It's a matter of perspective, I always defend the Ironborn in post like these too...but I have a serious fondness for the horselords.

Why should they have regards for anyone outside their circle?? That's what a Tribe is. (the ones that last longest anyway)

I really like the scenes of Vaes Dothrak with all the statues of stolen Gods everywhere....sue me. :smoking:

Interesting. Where are they from? Can't search now.

Changing them would be Tragic.

Considering they are based on the Hun, the Mongols and maybe the Sioux, being forced to change one way or the other is exactly what's gonna happen. The way the mongol empire was absorbed culturally by the very people they conquered is the happiest outcome they can hope for in the long run.

I remember the Mercy chapter when Daena told her: "And Westerosi. They’re terrible savages, Mercy. Best stay well away from his sort.” That was fun to read and somewhat true. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote, if you were neighbour to the Ironborn and happened that the Dothraki replaced them, you'd pray for the old gods and the new for them to return.

Interesting. Where are they from? Can't search now.

If I was neighbors to the Ironborne and they moved in I'd pray to the old gods I was Dothraki most likely :):))

They are mostly in Pittsburgh and loosely based on the book "Nomads of Gor" by John Norman (?) They have words like "La Kajira"(I'm your slave) and "Ubar" is like the Cheif of Chieftans and what not....

Considering they are based on the Hun, the Mongols and maybe the Sioux, being forced to change one way or the other is exactly what's gonna happen. The way the mongol empire was absorbed culturally by the very people they conquered is the happiest outcome they can hope for in the long run.

Whoah.

Ask someone who's Sioux if wanting to change someons culture is anything but villainous??

Back to your question, I just don't consider the Dothraki villians at all. I consider alot of Westerosi household way worse.

If they weren't doing somthing right they wouldn't be so massive. Their an entire culture. Not a household.

Not trying to be rude at all but maybe some people just understand Tribal culture better than other people???

Not on an intellectual level but a cultural one.????(i.e. people with native/tribal/clannish heritage vs. someone who that is very foreign to them?)

Has Grrm said how he feels about it?

Nothing I read about them make them seem like "Villians" at all, to me.

Whoah.

Ask someone who's Sioux if wanting to change someons culture is anything but villainous??

Back to your question, I just don't consider the Dothraki villians at all. I consider alot of Westerosi household way worse.

If they weren't doing somthing right they wouldn't be so massive. Their an entire culture. Not a household.

Not trying to be rude at all but maybe some people just understand Tribal culture better than other people???

Not on an intellectual level but a cultural one.????(i.e. people with native/tribal/clannish heritage vs. someone who that is very foreign to them?)

Has Grrm said how he feels about it?

Nothing I read about them make them seem like "Villians" at all, to me.

villians?

not exactly.

primative and vicious?

especially so.

If you read the OP, I said that calling them a 'villainous culture' was tongue in cheek meant to draw attention.

What I said is that they are the worst possible neigbour in ASOIF. Objectively, they are.

And yet, it changed.

The Dothraki live a parasitic lifestyle. It can't go on forever.

If you read the OP, I said that calling them a 'villainous culture' was tongue in cheek meant to draw attention.

What I said is that they are the worst possible neigbour in ASOIF. Objectively, they are.

And yet, it changed.

The Dothraki live a parasitic lifestyle. It can't go on forever.

You do realize the Sioux are still around, right???

Are you saying the Sioux's lifestyle changed because they were parasitic and bad neighbors?

I'm just kind of at a loss right now.

"Let me tell you, Mr. teacher.

When you say you'll make me right.

In 500 years of fighting,

not one Indian turned white."

"drums" Johnny Cash

You do realize people have Sioux and other Native American ancestry right???

First of all, I just mentioned the Sioux in passing as being part of the influence

Yes, and you do realize that they are no longer roaming the plains and attacking other settlement, right? The way they lived 300 years ago is extinct. That's my point regarding the Dothraki. And I've always been talking about the Dothraki here. I just mentioned the Sioux in passing as one of the culture that influenced the design of the Dothraki and you are letting it completely derail you.

Beside, the Sioux are nowhere near what the Dothraki are. There are just hints of Sioux and other native americans in the Dothraki, they are more like the Hun (circa Atila) and the Mongols (circa Genghis Khan). Which side they'll lean is up in the air. The Hun eventually got exterminated and the mongol conquered the lands and then got assimilated.

The only reason the Dothraki can live the way they do is because of the power vacuum left by the fall of the Valyrian empire. During the empire, their ancestors were just nomads of not much consequence. Now they fill the gap. But they produce nothing and leech the neighbours. Sooner or later a new power will rise. It may well be them, and they will conquer, settle and then change/assimilate until you no longer recognize them in a few générations. Or another power will rise and will break them. It's what the history of our world has shown, anyway. In the long run, states win over nomads every time because they outproduce them.

Archived