Books 4 & 5 - Read as written, or chronologically?

I was a bit late to the game, so by the time I discovered the novels all current 5 were written and they were on season 3 of the show. I followed a chronological reading list for books 4 & 5 and never read them seperately. (Yay for the Kindle and making it easier to swap between novels!)

On re-read - should I do that again or will I gain anything from reading as GRRM wrote them?

I think it depends on what your main interest in rereading is.

If it's simply for enjoyment, then I suggest you follow how you did it initially since you enjoyed that way.

ADWD and AFfC were divided based on continents and areas, so if you want that experience during your reread you can read them individually.

i read the books seperatly first and now im currently reading them together following the chronological order. One thing that was sort of a suprise was revealed much earlier and jon and sams chapters are almost identical and i found that a bit blah when i read it them straight after one another in the chronological order. I personally though am enjoying reading them together more than when i read them seperatly though as you get all your old favorites and the new characters split rather evenly.

• 3 weeks later...

I read them in order at first and I liked them--they we're good, but didn't hold a candle to the first three.

I started reading the 2 chronologically recently and I'm actually enjoying it a lot more. A lot of the character arcs parallel in ways I didn't notice before.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived