What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

So I made this strawberry-rhubarb pie yesterday, and it's my new favorite. Better than apple if you like sweet-tart taste.

It was a bit of a mish-mosh, though. I had run out of flour, so by the time I had to thicken it, I was out of luck. I found a recipe that called for instant tapioca, so I threw some of that in. (Yes, I had some instant tapioca, but no flour. :angry:)

Anyway, we lurves it!

Despite it being a sunny warm day here I think I will have a stew. Why, well I've two duck legs and some italian sausage that need to be used so I think I'll make a tomato stew based on cassoulet.

Well, it turns out that a lot of folks are prejudiced against rhubarb. At the Father's Day gathering, when I unveiled my splendiferous lattice-topped pie of strawberries and rhubarb, I got a sea of curled lips. Almost everyone wouldn't even try it and went for the apple instead. Woe is I.

I would say, More for me, but then I left without it. :bawl:

Well, it turns out that a lot of folks are prejudiced against rhubarb. At the Father's Day gathering, when I unveiled my splendiferous lattice-topped pie of strawberries and rhubarb, I got a sea of curled lips. Almost everyone wouldn't even try it and went for the apple instead. Woe is I.

I would say, More for me, but then I left without it. :bawl:

That's strange!

One of my cake suppliers does a strawberry/rhubarb Cheesecake tart, with the fruit swirled through the cheesecake, its really popular!

Sad you left without it, I'd've come round to help you finish it off!

found a linky

That's strange!

One of my cake suppliers does a strawberry/rhubarb Cheesecake tart, with the fruit swirled through the cheesecake, its really popular!

Sad you left without it, I'd've come round to help you finish it off!

found a linky

Wow! That looks yummy. :drool:

I'll pick the pie up tomorrow. It's too good to feed to the birds.

The crowd I was with looks at rhubarb and thinks of it as a weed that grows in the alley, not something to eat. Small minds...

Wow! That looks yummy. :drool:

I'll pick the pie up tomorrow. It's too good to feed to the birds.

The crowd I was with looks at rhubarb and thinks of it as a weed that grows in the alley, not something to eat. Small minds...

we had some growing in the garden where I lived in England, we used to abscond with the sugar bowl and raid the rhubarb!!

Mmmmm. Rhubarb. Love it. I would have been all over that pie Tears. I've rhubarb in my glasshouse and outside and I love it.

No recipe I'm afraid Fragile. Made it up on the hoof. Browned and rendered the duck legs. Poured out most of the fat and took the legs out. Chopped up a large onion, two carrots and seven or eight mushrooms. Sautéed those in the duck fat. Added the sausages and four sausages, and browned the sausages. Poured half a bottle of red wine in, brought it to the boil. Added 350 of chicken stock, and a tin of tomatoes. Covered and let simmer for and hour. Took the duck out and shredded it. Added back the shredded duck and turned up the heat a bit and reduced uncovered. Ate with a baked potato

Mmm, strawberry and rhubarb!

It's cold and rainy here today. simmering thinly sliced potatos, shallots and sweet italian sausage. added a little leek soup mix.

A couple of days ago I made English Rose Cake. . . I only made a 2 layer, and actually found real double cream here in the US! The icing turned out a little thin, though would be divine over ice cream. . . probably all the raspberry juice. Will definitely need to hop back on the exercise wagon now.

a couple immediate choices this evening.

i have a nice little amish chicken brined and then marinated under it's skin in a peruvian style. if only i had a charcoal rotisserie to roast it over.

the other option is a smoked jalapeno sausage studded with dice of mozzarella that i made.

a couple immediate choices this evening.

i have a nice little amish chicken brined and then marinated under it's skin in a peruvian style. if only i had a charcoal rotisserie to roast it over.

the other option is a smoked jalapeno sausage studded with dice of mozzarella that i made.

This Peruvian-style chicken is intriguing to me. How do you marinate it under its skin? and with what is it marinated?

Do you just lift the skin, marinate, then replace it?

I've got a really good grill we broke down and bought last fall with a rotisserie on it that I haven't even used yet. I've been dying to break that mutha' out.

tears of lys,

the chicken was delicious!

here is how....

first, i suggest a brine before the marinade. it is going to take things even further in the category of moist and awesome.

1 gallon water

1 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup honey

1 lemon (quartered)

3 bay leaves

1/2 a bunch of thyme

tablespoon of peppercorns

bring this all to a boil. chill it. add your bird. allow it to brine overnight. the salt and aromatics will penetrate your bird and help it stay nice and juicy.

marinade:

olive oil

lime juice

paprika

black pepper

cumin

coriander

garlic

dry oregano

amounts are pretty much up to your tastes. blend everything smooth in a blender. gently pull the skin up from the breast of your chicken and from over the legs. be careful not to poke any holes in it. put a liberal amount of marinade under the skin. pull the skin back into place and rub the rest of the bird with the marinade. it should have a nice red hue to it. allow it to marinade six hours or even overnight. yes, this is a time consuming process. yes, it is worth it!

tie the bird. i roasted mine. first at 425 for thirty minutes to promote browning and then at 375 for another hour or so until it was 155 when temped in the thigh. let it rest covered in foil for thirty minutes, carve and enjoy!

Archived