What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

Fermented fish products. So fucking good.

I so love pickled herring or pickled northern pike. Just had some Halloween night. It seems like it should be horribly disgusting and instead it is magnificently delicious.

We had chicken, mushroom, and onion quesadillas using chicken leftover from this weekend.

Last night I got home really late from work and had a headache, so I dug around in my freezer and found some frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (egg whites, turkey sausage, cheese, on an English muffin). They were okay, but I was expecting a cheerful guy in a sun costume to pop out of the box and serve me a delicious meal (you know, like the commercials!). False advertising! :p

Last night I got home really late from work and had a headache, so I dug around in my freezer and found some frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (egg whites, turkey sausage, cheese, on an English muffin). They were okay, but I was expecting a cheerful guy in a sun costume to pop out of the box and serve me a delicious meal (you know, like the commercials!). False advertising! :P

Who really wants a smart-ass sun around in the middle of the night, anyway.

Giant Eagle sells delicious rolls that unfortunately only go on sale from roughly late October to Easter. Simple-looking, but so tasty. Eating them with mashed potatoes, roast beef or chicken, stuffing, and gravy always does the trick. :cool4:

I just hate that the rolls are only sold for about five months out of the year, but I suppose that is what makes them all the more enjoyable as well.

Last night I got home really late from work and had a headache, so I dug around in my freezer and found some frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (egg whites, turkey sausage, cheese, on an English muffin).

i do not believe there is such a thing as a frozen sandwich, and furthermore that people would buy them.

tonight i shall be eating a shit hot curry made with some serious chillies (and lots of them), with coconut rice.

Homemade pizza & chips. Not exactly the healthiest of dinner options - though the fact its homemade as opposed to store bought makes it a bit better IMO - but I only have it once or maybe twice a year.

But I've had a shitty week and wanted to spoil myself.

On Sunday I got the best possible sort of compliment on my cooking. The girl I'm seeing informed me that she no longer order eggs out, because they are never as good as mine. :)

I'm asking around in a few places, but what do y'all like for breakfasts? I get up early so I can make a nice hot breakfast, and my go-tos are:

• Eggs - usually scrambled, occasionally omelettes. With some combination of the following sides: toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, skillet potatoes, bacon.
  • Oatmeal - typically with walnuts, pecans, almonds, and dried cranberries, sweetened with either brown sugar or cinnamon.
  • French toast or pancakes - usually French toast because it's faster.

Once in a blue moon I make paranthas, but that's a bit of a time investment for a weekday morning. I want to branch out, these are great but variety is the spice of life. Now requesting suggestions, with the following criteria:

1. Hot. I can make granola or whatever, I've definitely done it, but I have a strong bias for hot meals.
  2. Fast. Doesn't need to be instant, but this is some weekday shit right here. I give myself plenty of time most days, but I don't want to spend all of it in the kitchen during the work week.
  3. Vegetarian-friendly not required, but preferred.

Please don't insult both of us by suggesting Pop Tarts or whatever. Thanks in advance!

On Sunday I got the best possible sort of compliment on my cooking. The girl I'm seeing informed me that she no longer order eggs out, because they are never as good as mine. :)

I'm asking around in a few places, but what do y'all like for breakfasts? I get up early so I can make a nice hot breakfast, and my go-tos are:

• Eggs - usually scrambled, occasionally omelettes. With some combination of the following sides: toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, skillet potatoes, bacon.

• Oatmeal - typically with walnuts, pecans, almonds, and dried cranberries, sweetened with either brown sugar or cinnamon.

• French toast or pancakes - usually French toast because it's faster.

Once in a blue moon I make paranthas, but that's a bit of a time investment for a weekday morning. I want to branch out, these are great but variety is the spice of life. Now requesting suggestions, with the following criteria:

1. Hot. I can make granola or whatever, I've definitely done it, but I have a strong bias for hot meals.

2. Fast. Doesn't need to be instant, but this is some weekday shit right here. I give myself plenty of time most days, but I don't want to spend all of it in the kitchen during the work week.

3. Vegetarian-friendly not required, but preferred.

Please don't insult both of us by suggesting Pop Tarts or whatever. Thanks in advance!

Ini, we make individual frittatas in small souffle bowls, with lots of different fillings, roast vegetables would be the most popular, pumpkin and fetta is my favorite, all the omelette-type fillings work well, as does asparagus, and spinach. I do a lot of vegetarian varieties, because you really dont need meat in them though bacon is, of course, lovely in them (I keep meaning to blend the spinach into the egg, and make green eggs and ham for the Dr Seuss fans)

They dont take long in the oven in individual sizes, and are nice cold with salad.

Was trying to find a similar recipe to mine, found this and this

Operation Learn-To-Cook is going rather well, and has kicked into high gear the last couple of weeks. I've started to actually enjoy cooking rather than forcing myself to do it, and I've tried a few things outside my initial comfort zone. Even though I'm still clumsy as hell in the kitchen and screw things up constantly. So far nothing catastrophic has occurred though. Some things I've made recently:

Chicken Tikka Masala (Not so great, misread the recipe and used way too much cumin)

Chicken Tikka Masala take 2, way better.

Chicken Pot Pie, a childhood favorite. Mom's is better :P

Coconut Curry Shrimp, probably my favorite thing I've made so far.

From tonight, Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops.

None of it is very pretty looking, but aside from the botched Tikka it was all pretty delicious. I also made a Shepherd's Pie, Chocolate Creme Pie and Leftovers Fried Rice that I didn't take pictures of. Please ignore the lack of veggies :P (there were some in the pies!). I know I need to implement them more often but I always get wrapped up in the main part of the dish and forget about them >.>

Archived