Start Reading?

iLofthenorth

Hi, and welcome!

A couple of things:

1. The show by its very nature has to leave a lot of things out -- the real place to start is the beginning of book 1!

2. The show is not following a strict plan where part A of Season Y is from book N, and then part B is from book N+1, which carries through to Season Z.... There are threads from several books coming into play now. However, I believe that most of the events from last night (which I have not yet seen, so don't know for sure) came from book 3, A Storm of Swords. Be careful, though -- there's a big reveal in the epilogue of that book that I hear hasn't been seen in the show. There are also some things that have come from (or been changed from) later books, like Sansa meeting Bronze Yohn.

With this in mind, you might be able to start with book 4. However, I'd probably recommend going back at least to Edmure's wedding in ASoS, about two thirds of the way through, and starting there. Well, really, I say just read from the start, just as I wouldn't tell someone to start watching the show with Season 4.

Jackson,

But he's still missing a lot of detail. For example Ned's dream and "Promise me!".

On the contrary, he just went ahead and spoiled the entire series for himself by reading the wiki and some popular theories here and there. So he missed nothing, just the books :lol:.

On the contrary, he just went ahead and spoiled the entire series for himself by reading the wiki and some popular theories here and there. So he missed nothing, just the books :lol:.

So, he missed nothing other than everything that makes these books as great as they are?

To each their own, but nothing you can put on screen can make me feel the way I did when Ned was executed or when Red Wedding took place.

I literally threw the book across the room on the latter. No movie or TV show has EVER made me feel that gutted. Some sport events did, but that's a whole different story ;)

I will never ever understand this whole throwing the book across the room phenomenon.

Some people are more demonstrative than others I suppose. But it's still a super duper mega overreaction.

Skip the first three books and just start with A Feast for Crows. You might be a little confused at first, but just tough it out until you get to the parts with all the major characters like Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, and Bran and you'll find your bearings no problem.

The show is garbage next to the books.

No fucking Stannis chant, and the fact that there are like 15 wildlings while stannis has like tens of thousands of men. Also wtf no mammoths or giants, they were an important part of that battle.

Just read the books. Getting through all five of them won't hurt you.

I will never ever understand this whole throwing the book across the room phenomenon.

Some people are more demonstrative than others I suppose. But it's still a super duper mega overreaction.

It's not as if I throw the book across the room on a daily basis.

I never do that and, other than right after reading about Red Wedding, never have.

The fact that the book provoked such a reaction from me is definitely proof of the book being special.

Archived