Start Reading?

iLofthenorth

I recommend you start with the prologue of the first book, A Game of Thrones, and read them in the order they are meant to be read.

Even though the first novel was adapted more faithfully than the rest, there are still changes made and information missing in the show.

Skip the first three books and just start with A Feast for Crows.

Jokes aside, AFfC might be the least confusing book to start the series with, with the exception of AGoT ofc ;). It has only half the characters, making it easier for the reader to get to know them and the story. It also has many 'new' storylines - Brienne's quest could be interpreted as a starting point for that character, everything before that being its history.

Not reading all of the books in a series makes no sense to me. You don't go through a mid life crisis and then go through puberty. <_<

But seriously, you have to start with AGoT, its amazingly detailed and enchanting at times plus it forms the basis for most of the plots and theories that come in later books.

Sun,

Ned's dream providing context to R+L=J is irrelevant?

For now, yes. It will be revealed in time for him. There will be more clues coming both on the show and the books.

How anyone would not want to read the books is beyond me.

In particular (having watched the TV series only sporadically) it seems to be that several characters are translated somewhat, hm…, haphazardly to the show, which might lead to a slightly jarring experience.

The strongest argument, however, must indeed be made from the fact that several major themes in the books (in particular, Jon’s parentage) play no role at all in the TV show. The TV show is concerned only with the surface plot of a subset of the characters (which is fine and completely valid) but leaves big parts of the book themes unexplored. Jumping into the middle of the story at, say, book 4, seems ill advised, in particular if the OP desires more of ASOIAF after the show. There’s plenty of ASOIAF in the first three books that never made it to the show.

Your mileage may vary and all that.

I will never ever understand this whole throwing the book across the room phenomenon.

Some people are more demonstrative than others I suppose. But it's still a super duper mega overreaction.

Wish you'd told me that sooner. Now I have to buy a new computer.

I also just bought all the books, I can't bear waiting for season 5, plus I heard the books are MUCH better than the tv-show, mostly because D&D allow their personal opinions affect how they decide to portray certain characters (cough, Stannis, cough). I've heard that they've had to ignore alot of important stuff in the books on the tv-series, so I will personally start from book 1:).

Last year I did the same thing and started with ASOS, but once I completed ADWD I had a strong feeling I missed out from not starting with AGOT. So I went back and read the first two books. I was amazed at all the valuable information found in all the dialogue that the show only barely touched on.

The show is garbage next to the books.

No fucking Stannis chant, and the fact that there are like 15 wildlings while stannis has like tens of thousands of men. Also wtf no mammoths or giants, they were an important part of that battle.

Just read the books. Getting through all five of them won't hurt you.

Until you learn that the book and tv series are different you'll begin to appreciate both.

Read from book 1! I watched seasons 1 through 3 before I decided to read the books. I learned a TON of helpful stuff, particularly when it came to the history before current events. Rhaegar and Roberts Rebellion was lost on me before I read them. Now I feel like a historian when it comes to this stuff lol.

Skip the first three books and just start with A Feast for Crows. You might be a little confused at first, but just tough it out until you get to the parts with all the major characters like Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, and Bran and you'll find your bearings no problem.

I see what you did there ;)

....And I agree completely. Every storyline in this book is SUPER concise and essential. While Brienne only has 92 chapters, it totally makes sense to add all of them. Nothing tedious here.

to actually answer the OP's question (if you are still reading this),

Books 4 and 5 cover the same time period (which immediately follows this last episode). You can start there and you will be mostly fine (though some details will be different).

Although the first three books really are fantastic and you should read them!!! :)

Start from the beginning.

Book 1 does follow season 1 closely, but you learn a lot more about Robert's Rebellion and Ned Starks dream/being haunted by Lyanna Stark's memory is some of the best writing in the whole series.

I started reading the books after watching the first two seasons of the show and I read them all in about four months. I just finished another reread of the entire series between seasons 3 and 4. It's worth it, I promise you.

I read all five books this past March -- took me about four weeks (but I'm retired, so I've got plenty of time these days!). I definitely suggest you start from the beginning with the first volume, but mainly because the first three books are so damned fabulous. I wasn't a big fan of the last two, so starting with 4 might be a downer.

One warning, though -- reading the books will change how you see the TV show. I absolutely loved the show until I read the books. This season was the first one that I didn't like all that much. It's not that the writers are changing things (some changes -- like Robb's wife, for example -- have been good for the show), but so much of the complexity in the books is missing. Martin writes from the POV of many, many characters, and these POV chapters give us great insight into what they're thinking (stuff that's hard to do on screen).

Last night's Tyrion stuff was disappointing to me, but I doubt it would have been had I not read the books. Part of me wishes I had waited until the series was over to start reading. Well, maybe not! The books are great, and it's worth your time to start from the beginning. But the show won't feel the same once you do. Just know that.

Hey, first of all, as a person who started reading the books after I started the show... I can say you won't regret your decision to start reading. You think you like the show? You will LOVE the books. It's a far better experience, all around. So, good decision :)

I started with book 3 since I started reading after season 3. I do believe the show followed the books WAY more closely for the first season at least. Having said that, I would agree with everyone else who says that starting at the beginning with book 1 is ideal. The show deviated from the books a lot this season. Chances are, if you started on book 4, you wouldn't really have that great of an idea what's going on. There's at least one major thing that happens in book 3 that hasn't happened yet in the show.

Start from book one. I saw the first season and then decided to read the books. I actually didn't watch seasons 2-4 until I finished all five books, because I was so in awe of the books and couldn't stop reading. But keeping in mind that they did change a lot of stuff, and you'll probably end up liking the books more.

Yea well I can understand after the season finale folks just being so excited and wanting to know what comes next but having said that I would highly recommend reading the books from the very beginning. There is so much more to the books that the tv seres just cant cram into ten episode seasons. I assure anyone who is thinking about reading the books that they will not be disappointed and can enjoy the wealth of extra material that their missing out on just watching the tv show. Go and grab q copy of A Game of Thrones- give it half an hour and ill bet you cant put it down!!

Archived