Start Reading?

iLofthenorth

Hi all,

Just finished the fourth season and I cannot wait a year to see what happens. Which book does season 5 correspond to so I can start reading? Thanks

I watched up to the end of season three and then read the books from the start.

I can't recommend doing that highly enough, so that would be my advice. You've got nearly a year to get through them, more than enough time.

to actually answer the OP's question (if you are still reading this),

Books 4 and 5 cover the same time period (which immediately follows this last episode). You can start there and you will be mostly fine (though some details will be different).

Although the first three books really are fantastic and you should read them!!! :)

This. Funny that it took 34 posts before someone just answered the OP's damn question.

This. Funny that it took 34 posts before someone just answered the OP's damn question.

We answered the question the OP should have asked. He was deceiving himself, being wilfully blind to what came before, so as to better flatter his preconceptions.

Ever are OPs deceived.

I read all five books this past March -- took me about four weeks (but I'm retired, so I've got plenty of time these days!). I definitely suggest you start from the beginning with the first volume, but mainly because the first three books are so damned fabulous. I wasn't a big fan of the last two, so starting with 4 might be a downer.

One warning, though -- reading the books will change how you see the TV show. I absolutely loved the show until I read the books. This season was the first one that I didn't like all that much. It's not that the writers are changing things (some changes -- like Robb's wife, for example -- have been good for the show), but so much of the complexity in the books is missing. Martin writes from the POV of many, many characters, and these POV chapters give us great insight into what they're thinking (stuff that's hard to do on screen).

Last night's Tyrion stuff was disappointing to me, but I doubt it would have been had I not read the books. Part of me wishes I had waited until the series was over to start reading. Well, maybe not! The books are great, and it's worth your time to start from the beginning. But the show won't feel the same once you do. Just know that.

This. Definitely. Times a million.

This is pretty much verbatim what happened to me. I understand SOME of the changes the show writers have made. (Not even saying I like them. Just that I understand) But this fourth season was a huge let down for me. And I believe it is bc of the reason kacunnin gave above. I have different expectations now from the show that I don't think they will fulfill. Therefore I'm just looking at the situation as I have two awesome stories to follow, the show GoT and the book series aSoIaF.

Hi all,

Just finished the fourth season and I cannot wait a year to see what happens. Which book does season 5 correspond to so I can start reading? Thanks

There is no one place to jump in from the conclusion of season four. Season four covered parts of books three, four, and five (of the show material that is actually from the books). But different characters and locations are at different parts in the books. Some book three stuff still hasn't finished for some, while others are nearing the end of their book four or five material, and others are part way through, or just beginning.

If you are interested in reading them at all, I would start with book one. If you are just going to jump in anyway, I suppose you should start with book three, where you will reread a lot of stuff that happened in some form or another over the last two seasons, but will at least have some clue what is going on in books four and five.

IMO there is a lot of development in books four and five, but I wouldn't say a lot "happens." They are not like ASOS, where something seems to be happening almost all the time. I don't think they would be as rewarding only having watched the series, and not read the first three books.

I actually really like books four and five, but I could see someone not even bothering to finish book four if that is the first one they ever picked up.

I would recommend spending the time between seasons reading all the books in the order in which they were written. I had a convoluted introduction to the show and the books during season three. I had watched Season 1 episode 2? and did not like it. I swore off the show when Lady was killed. I came back for Season 3 episode 3 and was hooked, but very much confused as to what was going on. Ended up binge watching season 2 and first two episodes of season 3 as season 1 was not available on HBO on demand at the time. Had to settle for wiki plot summaries. Immediately after the Season 3 ended I began reading the Books. I have read them straight through twice and some chapters multiple times since. I also have watched the show from season one through season 3 straight through twice.

My recommendation now that we are through Season 4 is to go right to the books and read them all before coming back to the series. That way you will be better able to keep the two similar but different stories straight.

I read all five books this past March -- took me about four weeks (but I'm retired, so I've got plenty of time these days!). I definitely suggest you start from the beginning with the first volume, but mainly because the first three books are so damned fabulous. I wasn't a big fan of the last two, so starting with 4 might be a downer.

One warning, though -- reading the books will change how you see the TV show. I absolutely loved the show until I read the books. This season was the first one that I didn't like all that much. It's not that the writers are changing things (some changes -- like Robb's wife, for example -- have been good for the show), but so much of the complexity in the books is missing. Martin writes from the POV of many, many characters, and these POV chapters give us great insight into what they're thinking (stuff that's hard to do on screen).

Last night's Tyrion stuff was disappointing to me, but I doubt it would have been had I not read the books. Part of me wishes I had waited until the series was over to start reading. Well, maybe not! The books are great, and it's worth your time to start from the beginning. But the show won't feel the same once you do. Just know that.

Very much off-topic, I know, but Robb's wife was one of the worst changes the show has made.

Start from the beginning. Book one, page one. That's the only correct answer. If you don't want to do that, don't read the books at all.

You can't just jump in at some point. The books are the books and the show is the show. Tons of stuff is in the books but not in the show. Some stuff is only in the show but not in the books. Many characters, including major ones, are portrayed differently. Some relationships are downplayed in the show, other cut, others exist in the show but not in the book, some are completely different. Characters are cut or merged with others. Timeline is changed and events moved around. And finally, the books provide a lot more backstory, and let you inside the characters' heads.

This is true of book 1, too, whatever some say. A few things that come to mind: A lot of important backstory, especially concerning Jon's parentage, is missing from the show. Also missing is a big scene important for a relationship between two characters that hasn't been done justice in the show. And some elements of Cersei's backstory are completely different.

And IMO the books are superior to the show.

Sure, you can read the wiki summaries of the plot, but that's hardly the same. That's like saying you don't have to watch the show if you read episode recaps.

If watching the show is your priority, just watch the show until the end and, after it ends with season 7 or whatever, start the books from the beginning. If not and you want to read the books now, start the books from the beginning now. In any case, don't "jump" in anywhere, you'll just be confused about lots of things, misunderstand other things, and it will be an unsatisfying experience.

Oh, and the poster who said to start with A Feast for Crows was making a joke that's understandable to book readers.

Very much off-topic, I know, but Robb's wife was one of the worst changes the show has made.

My point was that this change was "good for the show," since it helped develop Robb as a central character with a more fleshed out personal life. It also made the conflict with the Freys more immediate and understandable. It also made the Red Wedding scene more shocking, which again, worked within the context of the show.

It's hard to say how I would have felt had I not seen the first three seasons of the HBO show before reading the books. Perhaps I would have agreed with you that this particular change wasn't a good one. But it didn't bother me, and I actually liked seeing Robb with someone he loved before he ended up dead.

I felt very differently about the changes made to Tyrion's escape (and the lack of the Tysha reveal) in the season 4 finale, but in that case I had read the books first. Makes a difference, I think.

The first book was a bit boring, but mainly because it was quite similar to the show so that I could basically predict the next chapter,but that's not a bad thing, especially for new readers to the series. Book 2 & Book 3 have been amazing, however.

House of the undying in Book 2 is way different, and I love Olenna Tyrell even more because of ASOS

I'm about to start book 4 soon!

I'd start from the very first, but if not, you could jump right into AFFC

Google anything you miss including

LSH

I'd start from the very first, but if not, you could jump right into AFFC

Great idea if you want to be confused about a whole bunch of things during books 4 and 5. Like: what's up with this

Marillion

guy now? Wait, did <spoiler> actually kiss <spoiler> and what's this cloak she's on about? Why is Tyrion obsessing over this <spoiler> chick? Why is Brienne acting like she's never killed anyone before? Aren't these guys supposed to be dead?! Who is this character now?! Wait, why does no one mention the fact that Thenns are cannibals?! etc. etc.

Not to mention that being thrown right into a bunch of new characters is hardly the best way to 'jump' into the series.

A friend of mine started reading where the series left off, but there was so much he didn't get he just gave up the attempt. Starting from the beginning will also give you the advantage that by the time you're finished, the next season will be that little bit closer ;)

If you don't want to read the whole series, I'd recommend reading this website's wiki entries for your favourite characters; that way you know their full story, and you could just go from there and keep clicking until you get a general idea of everything that's happened in the novels thus far. Several of my friends did this (they started from summaries, then spent a few nights browsing the wiki), and they seem quite knowledgeable.

All of that being said, if you still want to read where the series left off, start with A Feast for Crows :)

A friend of mine started reading where the series left off, but there was so much he didn't get he just gave up the attempt. Starting from the beginning will also give you the advantage that by the time you're finished, the next season will be that little bit closer ;)

If you don't want to read the whole series, I'd recommend reading this website's wiki entries for your favourite characters; that way you know their full story, and you could just go from there and keep clicking until you get a general idea of everything that's happened in the novels thus far. Several of my friends did this (they started from summaries, then spent a few nights browsing the wiki), and they seem quite knowledgeable.

All of that being said, if you still want to read where the series left off, start with A Feast for Crows :)

Reading Wiki doesn't give nearly the same amount of info as reading the book. And look at this forum, people who have read the books disagree on so many things regarding characters, even POV characters - what they are like, why they did what they did, what they meant when they said something, how they feel, what their motivations are, etc. Wiki just gives you cliff notes, omits important character stuff, or gives one particular interpretation of certain moments. It's no replacement for actually reading and coming up with your own view.

Reading Wiki doesn't give nearly the same amount of info as reading the book. And look at this forum, people who have read the books disagree on so many things regarding characters, even POV characters - what they are like, why they did what they did, what they meant when they said something, how they feel, what their motivations are, etc. Wiki just gives you cliff notes, omits important character stuff, or gives one particular interpretation of certain moments. It's no replacement for actually reading and coming up with your own view.

Oh I agree, it doesn't, but I do think it's just as useful as reading from A Feast for Crows onwards. It's a very poor replacement for the novels, but so is the show + AFfC and ADwD - it just won't give you the experience of really reading the series, so if you won't start from the beginning you might just as well not bother at all.

I fully recommend reading the entire series, so that's why I started my post with suggesting just that. I didn't have much to add as to reasons why the OP should read the entire series, as the other posters in this thread have already done that. So, I thought I'd suggest something a few of my friends have done who didn't want to read the series, and what I honestly think is just as useful as reading from AFfC onwards.

Just in case I didn't make myself entirely clear: I fully recommend reading the whole thing, and am one of those obnoxious people who has given AGoT to all their friends and family for their birthdays, just to force them to read :p

My point was that this change was "good for the show," since it helped develop Robb as a central character with a more fleshed out personal life. It also made the conflict with the Freys more immediate and understandable. It also made the Red Wedding scene more shocking, which again, worked within the context of the show.

It's hard to say how I would have felt had I not seen the first three seasons of the HBO show before reading the books. Perhaps I would have agreed with you that this particular change wasn't a good one. But it didn't bother me, and I actually liked seeing Robb with someone he loved before he ended up dead.

I felt very differently about the changes made to Tyrion's escape (and the lack of the Tysha reveal) in the season 4 finale, but in that case I had read the books first. Makes a difference, I think.

They could have fleshed out his romance with Jeyne just as well - or much better - as they did with "Talisa". It is fully understandable they wanted to expand his storyline and a right decision. But Talisa is just a bad character.

I also think Robb did love Jeyne.

Archived