Netflix's new epic drama - 'Marco Polo'

AncalagonTheBlack

Yeah, 3 episodes in and I'm not seeing the what is so terrible about it. It's pretty good. The gratuitous nudity is about the same level of Game of Thrones, most of the acting is very good. Marco Polo isn't the most magnetic protagonist ever but it's often the case that side characters become more popular than the hero.

Is this any good?

I quit at episode 3.

ETA: Didn't think it was terrible, even if a few scenes already mentioned earlier in the thread had me rolling my eyes:

blind Kung Fu master, the Song concubine's "experience" line and later two soldiers scene, Kublai's single combat

I could've lived with all that, though. For whatever reason it just didn't hold my interest.

I agree with this.

I think some people went into it, thinking it's going to be shit because of the reviews, and never really gave it a fair shot.

I think it's more likely that people went in with really high expectations because it was a Netflix production and it was cited as being among the most expensive tv shows. These two facts alone builds up some serious anticipation. The letdown naturally feels greater when when you go in expecting something extraordinary only to be given a product that is barely mediocre.

I think it's more likely that people went in with really high expectations because it was a Netflix production and it was cited as being among the most expensive tv shows. These two facts alone builds up some serious anticipation. The letdown naturally feels greater when when you go in expecting something extraordinary only to be given a product that is barely mediocre.

I knew almost nothing about it until I saw it advertised on Netflix. Then I watched a bit and went and saw the reaction and reviews.

No doubt the constant hype and comparisons to GoT have hurt it but, honestly, I feel as if we're just spoiled now. Or I am. If I watch a historical epic I want...more. Especially if the problem isn't one of price but will.

It's the Dark Knight Rises problem, we sound harsher because we care about what happens.

I just watched the first two episodes and I'm really liking it.

Yes, coulda done without those stupid drugged out orgy scenes -- especially as this was a long time before the opium era of China.

Also the fighting of a woman naked, could really done without. Probably this was written and shot before the backlash that's going on about these matters as gratuitous bs that a lot of viewers could do without.

This is only two episodes watched, but it's hard not to suspicion that somebodies somehow leaned / paid hard on some peoples to trash Marco Polo.

That was stupid, really stupid. The best naked fight scene I can think of has to be from Eastern Promises. I don't know if anyone could call that gratuitous.

Speaking of Camelot:

Man I wish that show did not get cancelled, lucky enough the maker of that got to do Vikings though, so a silver lining.

I really wanted to like Camelot, but it really, really sucked.

I think Marco Polo still has potential. The casting for Kublai is great. I do and don't really understand the changing of history in dealing with his brother Arig though.

I think Marco Polo still has potential. The casting for Kublai is great. I do and don't really understand the changing of history in dealing with his brother Arig though.

I assume it has to do with (spoilers for everything)

Deferring the conflict till next season and focusing on the Chinese war plot while letting us know that it's an issue

Also, money? It's really much cheaper to shoot a single swordfight.

In theory they really could have just kept Ariq around and built it up instead of giving Rick Yune the same plot, unless they felt they had to stick to some timeline and it was easier to kill Ariq than show Kubali out-manoeuvring and killing everyone around him

I assume it has to do with (spoilers for everything)

Deferring the conflict till next season and focusing on the Chinese war plot while letting us know that it's an issue

Also, money? It's really much cheaper to shoot a single swordfight.

In theory they really could have just kept Ariq around and built it up instead of giving Rick Yune the same plot, unless they felt they had to stick to some timeline and it was easier to kill Ariq than show Kubali out-manoeuvring and killing everyone around him

I meant that they killed Ariq at all. I get the "coolness" and affordability of a single swordfight, but he could have beaten him and still kept him alive killing off his main cohorts as actually happened. I think keeping him alive shows Kublai's character differently than beheading Ariq as in the show.

I think Marco Polo still has potential. The casting for Kublai is great.

Benedict Wong is a great actor ! I was so pleased to finally see him given a prime role, after years of tertiary (but often very memorable - Sunshine !!!) tertiary ones.

I meant that they killed Ariq at all. I get the "coolness" and affordability of a single swordfight, but he could have beaten him and still kept him alive killing off his main cohorts as actually happened. I think keeping him alive shows Kublai's character differently than beheading Ariq as in the show.

Well, yes. But I imagine that some writers might think that people today think that what happened on the show is more in keeping with what they imagine Kublai Khan to be than what actually happened in reality. It has that truthiness quality.

I admit, though I like it, there are some scenes that can just go, one being the blue princess, she is so unneeded it is not even funny, and the alot of the chancellor and his sister scenes can just be cut, I know showing both sides of a war makes them more human, but honestly, it would have been better just to show the Mongol side with the way it was handled.

Well, yes. But I imagine that some writers might think that people today think that what happened on the show is more in keeping with what they imagine Kublai Khan to be than what actually happened in reality. It has that truthiness quality.

Yeah. I think it would be better to subvert their misconceptions rather than pander to them.

My problem with Marco Polo.... besides the dialogue .... is that its not sure what kind of show it wants to be.... sometimes its rooted in history/reality (or at least it tries to be),,,, and sometimes its a special effects/fantasy show.....

The war/battle scenes are pretty cool.... as are the high wire/acrobatic fight scenes.... but they don't belong in the same show.

I don't care about Polo, I just want to see the Kublai/Song conflict unfold.

My thoughts exactly. :) Sometimes I even forget that Polo is on the show.

I'm up to Episode 7 (watching now) and loving this show, so far. Empress Chabi is a bad-ass. :D

Absolutely beautiful scenery, too.

ETA: Wrapped up Episode 10. Dayummmm that ending!

Archived