Discussing the Children

Westeros

No good place to put this , can't start a topic on this subforum, but would like to see something like a SEASON 4 DISCUSSION thread.

O wait there is a Season 4 Impressions thread on the next page.

Lets just accept that the show will not impact the way the books will be written and that the showrunners know the ending and hence can make a more informed decision on what has to stay in the show for it to get all done in 7 seasons than we do because we have not read books 6 and 7 and so we're just hoping that LSH actually amounts to something. maybe it does, maybe it doesn't but fact is they know where the main characters end up and we don't and if they have to take shortcuts to get there by leaving out things like the siege of Riverrun and LSH then I can't blame them because they're not making a 1:1 adaptation and I'm really surprised that people are still expecting them to do that at this stage, when they have told us repeatedly that they'll diverge more and more as the show goes on. I find LSH to be a stupid plot device in the book that only comes into play at the end of a boring and needlessly long travellogue brought to us by Brienne of Tarth and so I don't mind if they cut that whole thing short to its bare minimum or even leave it out entirely. What will probably end up happening is that Beric will fill LSH's shoes because he feels guilty for not helping Arya and so they'll probably try to avenge the Starks by hanging all the Freys. There, problem solved. It's like Jojen taking over Coldhands' role in Bran's story. Some of this stuff can be given to characters that are still alive and hence there's no need to get a great actress like Michelle Fairley back to essentially give her a thankless role playing a silent revenant.

The show has not fared as well with the magical elements and I'd rather they stuck to what they're good at than failing at trying to do something they clearly don't seem to want to put a lot of focus on.

This could very well be true. My only addition is something that has been said before but may really prove to be the difference in the LSH storyline. The way you tell a story in TV is different from the book. If LSH has significance in the future, the TV audience will need more immediate knowledge of her than the Book reader. Therefore I do not think she needs to be revealed in the show until she has significance to the overall story. If she is ever going to be part of the show her significance will be revealed about the time she is revealed in the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived