Would you consider Gregor Cleganes somewhat physically realistic?

fabio012

It is definitly possible, but incredibly rare for a human being to grow so big and still have normal proportions. I certainly doesn't stretch my willing suspension of disbelief though.

Take Angus MacAskill as an example. He stood 7 ft 9 in/236 cm and was thus just a little shorter than Gregor Cleganes 7 ft 11 in/241 cm. And like Clegane MacAskill had a normal mans proportions and incredible strenght. So yeah, Clegane might be freak, but there's no magic involved there.

The tallest man ever recorded was Robert Pershing Wadlow and he stood 8 feet 11 & 3/4 inches. Thats approximately a foot taller than the Mountain is supposed to be. The current record holder is Sultan Kosen at 8 feet 3 inches about four inches taller. So yes it is within the realm of the possible.

It is definitly possible, but incredibly rare for a human being to grow so big and still have normal proportions. I certainly doesn't stretch my willing suspension of disbelief though.

Take Angus MacAskill as an example. He stood 7 ft 9 in/236 cm and was thus just a little shorter than Gregor Cleganes 7 ft 11 in/241 cm. And like Clegane MacAskill had a normal mans proportions and incredible strenght. So yeah, Clegane might be freak, but there's no magic involved there.

Gregor is not 7 foot 11. He is merely described as "closer to 8 feet than 7" That could be anything from 7 foot 6 and a half inches, upwards.

Reading this thread has convinced me Gregor is probably around 7 foot, and that the characters the who describe him are no better at judging height than people in the real world are at guessing the heights of WWE wrestlers.

Problem is that Martin is the one who stated that he closer to 8 feet than 7. So his height is legit.

There are two problems with this, one is biological and the other is mechanical. The biological part (giant's blood, if it is possible for a human like we know humans to reach this height and general build) i think we should ignore because it is a fantasy world. The other, more substantial problem, is if this kind of height and weight can be sustained by a humanesque structure of bones and muscles.

You can't just scale a human person into twice their size, by keeping the same analogies because all forces that apply to the body would be multiplied four times (squared). That's why a fly is of much leaner built, which would be impossible for an elephant, which has huge feet and is shorter.

8 feet tall is not that much of a difference with a normal human. If he had thicker feet and a broad built with big bones i think a Gregor would be possible, while still looking like a normal human. A giant would have to have a lot broader feet to be able to stand and he would be slower, like the ones presented in the show.

Btw there is the same problem with dragons that grow infinitely, without mentioning the problem of flight.

Reading this thread has convinced me Gregor is probably around 7 foot, and that the characters the who describe him are no better at judging height than people in the real world are at guessing the heights of WWE wrestlers.

IIRC Sansa said the Mountain dwarf'd even Hodor. So he's pretty damn big and most certainly near 8 ft I reckon.

The closest real life equivalent (in terms of combat prowess) that I could find was Pier Gerlofs Donia. He was said to be about 7 feet tall, and wielded a 7 foot great sword in battle. However he lived about 500 years ago and much of his life is shrouded in legend, so these claims can be disputed. Also, he would still be nearly a foot shorter than Clegane.

That said, he could probably still give Gregor a run for his money, especially if he could wield that sword with ease.

The problem with the Mountain is that it's not only his height, he's also a physical powerhouse in terms of muscles.

Sure in this day and age tall people can get huge (most often with a little "help" from the wonderful world of drugs), but Gregor can't run down to the gym for 4 hours every day and I refuse to believe he lives on a proper work out diet either.

So ya, he's a bit over the top. But meh, as long as he gets killed. Again.

In our world, sure. But bear in mind this is a world with giants, so someone that big could easily just have some giant's blood in his veins.

:agree:

I've always thought of two things. Like other people here I have always thought maybe he's not 8 feet tall but like in pro wrestling its an easy exaggeration once people are freakishly tall so maybe he is just the size/strength of the S4 mountain. Which is more than big enough. But if he truly is close to 8 ft and meets all of the strength/speed abilities the way Gregor is described I always just assumed the Cleganes have giant's blood. Same as Hodor, and same as the Greatjon

The tallest man ever recorded was Robert Pershing Wadlow and he stood 8 feet 11 & 3/4 inches. Thats approximately a foot taller than the Mountain is supposed to be. The current record holder is Sultan Kosen at 8 feet 3 inches about four inches taller. So yes it is within the realm of the possible.

Did you read how unhealthy Robert was though? He needed bracers on his legs.

Archived