Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Massive delays with Fraction or Aja or both; it's ending, and being relaunched with Lemire/Perez as the creative team.

And it also started doing one issue for Clint and one for Hawkeye (ette) meaning it took 3-4 months for a new story, Considering the publishing pace of most marvel books these days it's almost glacial.

Saga #24 was solid - shame we have to wait until new year for more but the cliffhanger wasn't too painful. Loved the "spinerette" conversation and the little farmer dude.

Multiversity #3 was probably my favourite of the bunch. Lots of in jokes meta commentary on the older heroes (especially regarding Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman book). Favourite aspect was how effortlessly Morrison was writing the 2nd gen characters of Damien and Chris - almost made me wish we were following these characters over their parents (but with some fighting of villains at least). Strongest contender yet for a spin off series for me. It reminded me quite a bit of a series from several years ago by Wildstorm that desperately tried to be modern and hip with superheroes. Forgotten the name though - I think it was by Joe Casey though - yup it was him "the intimates"

Saga #24: Late to the party so I'll say it was good but I really need to sit down and reread all this. Hard for me to remember all the pieces.

Axis #4: This was interesting, better than the last three but annoying in its own way. Everyone acting as evil versions of themselves...well it's kinda boring. Evan becoming Apocalypse - just hope this reverts at the end of all this as I find it really corny. Black Nick Fury in 616 just confuses me.

Green Lantern #36 (New Gods war still happening): This event is honestly one of the best I've read in years. Feels like things happening make sense, pacing is not jarring, and as a New Gods fan I'm really enjoying their depiction. I thought this was going to be garbage so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Have some more books to read, but also started the Great Darkness Saga collection. While the art and dialogue is "old school" I actually find this series to be really enjoyable. But be warned - the first 50-65% of the book is setting things up before the Saga happens.

The losers (Vertigo, from 2004). Pretty good rogue special forces thriller.

It was also a film. Jock's art and covers are solid throughout.

Axis #4- So, everyone who was nice is a dick and everyone who was a dick is supernice. That's the whole premise of an event, ladies and gentlemen.

Axis #4- So, everyone who was nice is a dick and everyone who was a dick is supernice. That's the whole premise of an event, ladies and gentlemen.

At least we know they've hit rock bottom as the next event seems to literally be a best of all the previous ones

AXIS #4: Remender, you used to be better. But I'll confess that my impression from the inverted Avengers is that they continue to act as they always have, but dropping all pretense of being nice. And imagine a teambook of the mutant race led by Storm, Cyclops, Apocalypse, and Havok, going against Avengers and Inhumans, but being in charge and united for once? That's certainly better than what we're seeing in the X-books. But at least the art is nice.

All-New X-Factor #16: it really shouldn't have been dragged into this mess of an event, but it's still good enough to make you hate Marvel for cancelling it. :bang:

Tooth & Claw #1: both art and story are amazing, Busiek at his best. I haven't been this impressed by a comic book in some five years, at least. If I had to read only one series for the rest of my life, this would be it. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

It reminded me quite a bit of a series from several years ago by Wildstorm that desperately tried to be modern and hip with superheroes. Forgotten the name though - I think it was by Joe Casey though - yup it was him "the intimates"

About to say: desperately trying to be hip and modern? At least half odds that it's Joe Casey! He did Final Crisis: Dance, with the Super Young Team, too.

You can usually sum up events in one sentence, they end up being all about the execution. And I've been enjoying Axis way more than I thought I would, but I have a soft spot for anyone who can make a good Dick Rider joke and the fine points of how the inverted Avengers are behaving. It's also got a nice feel of "shit keeps happening, woah", which is also what I read events (but do not buy events) for.

Tooth & Claw #1: both art and story are amazing, Busiek at his best. I haven't been this impressed by a comic book in some five years, at least. If I had to read only one series for the rest of my life, this would be it. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I might have to check this out. I'm not familiar with Busiek's work, is he mostly known for Astro City?

I might have to check this out. I'm not familiar with Busiek's work, is he mostly known for Astro City?

Astro City, Marvels, Avengers Forever, Avengers Vol. 3 (the first 50 issues or so), and much more. He's one of my favorite writers, and, though it's still only one issue so far, I feel like I can say that Tooth & Claw has the potential to be his best book.

Astro City, Marvels, Avengers Forever, Avengers Vol. 3 (the first 50 issues or so), and much more. He's one of my favorite writers, and, though it's still only one issue so far, I feel like I can say that Tooth & Claw has the potential to be his best book.

And he wrote the original Thunderbolts team. So much fun.

Tooth & Claw #1: Like Lady Oct said this was great. Shaping up to be one of the more interesting fantasy series I've read in awhile. Great art as well, fits the writing like glove.

Axis #5: Sorta okay...I can't help but feel this is a very heavy handed event. It feels like a story that should be three parts, not a real event.

Superior Iron Man #1: Interesting, though like Axis itself I can see this wearing thin. The main thing to look forward to is the Iron Man vs Daredevil battle coming up.

Thor #2: Good stuff, and I liked the ending. I do hope we get some closure on who Thor is given we can see her thought bubbles.

Birthright #2: Another great fantasy comic with well done writing and art. Good to see fantasy making a comeback into comics.

Axis #5: Sorta okay...I can't help but feel this is a very heavy handed event. It feels like a story that should be three parts, not a real event.

Well, this is Remender, he doesn't do subtle.

I like Superior Iron Man, although I doubt it can work for too long.

Silver Surfer continues to be the most fun title out there.

This week in Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy, Wolverine's death inspires Lady Deathstrike to become a better person. Lady Deathstrike, a xenophobic terrorist leader that hates Wolverine. It just doesn't make sense.

Just be glad she didn't show up alongside Dr. Doom & Magneto to help look for survivors on 9/11.

Picked up Tooth and Claw #1. It's definitely as good as Lady O said. It's right up my alley. 48 pages felt like they flew by. Can't wait for the next issue.

The Fade Out #3 was pretty good too. I'm loving the stuff about old Hollywood in the back. Apparently Brubaker and Phillips are doing a 48 page Criminal one shot to coincide with the books re-release.. I'll be looking forward to that. I just finished Criminal recently, and absolutely loved it.

And he wrote the original Thunderbolts team. So much fun.

He was good at a time where it was almost required to be shit. Good to hear he still has it.

Just be glad she didn't show up alongside Dr. Doom & Magneto to help look for survivors on 9/11.

I'm sure Dr Doom wouldn't be there now - don't want to help out Fox. I'm still unclear on Magneto's status these days. I'm sure I read a while ago that he's never killed any innocents in an act of terrorism and that all the times he did he was a clone or some shit. It doesn't really wash with me as I still see him as a killer. A sort of reformed one though like cuddly Wolverine.

Axis #5 was only worth it to see Magneto saving Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch acting like Magneto. Everything else, just... ugh.

Superior Iron Man had a good, fun start, and will probably be the first IM solo I'll bother reading for more than five issues.

All-New Cap is already better than the previous run, but not good enough to keep me interested, such a pity.

Guardians 3000 #2 just proves that this should be the only GotG book right now. Perfect.

Nightcrawler #8 was the usual fun, absolutely 80's story. It's such a relief to have Claremont around to make at least one X-book stay fun - and remind me of how terrified I used to be of Shadow King.

I'm pretty sure Remender originally thought it as the final arc to the first volume of Uncanny Avengers, maybe a crossover with Magneto and a few other books, no more than that, but had to rearrange his plans and turn it into an event. He kept saying, in old interviews, he planned UA to be 35 issues, so, if things had gone as they should, that final arc before Axis wouldn't have felt so rushed, and Axis itself would be better structured and more organic, like most other RR stories. Oh well. :bang:

Archived