Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Good luck, red snow! Let us know once it's out there! :cheers:

And as for this week's comics... *sigh* Axis #7 is not even worth discussing. Marvel screwed up. Badly. And unless that is reversed (and I very much doubt it will be, for obvious reasons), I'm no longer spending my money on anything Avengers and Inhumans, not watching Avengers 2, and watching the new Fantastic Four at least twice on the first weekend. Because f*** you, Marvel. :bang:

And as for this week's comics... *sigh* Axis #7 is not even worth discussing. Marvel screwed up. Badly. And unless that is reversed (and I very much doubt it will be, for obvious reasons), I'm no longer spending my money on anything Avengers and Inhumans, not watching Avengers 2, and watching the new Fantastic Four at least twice on the first weekend. Because f*** you, Marvel. :bang:

Not going to forswear Avengers but yeah, that was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. What utter contempt for their own continuity.

Thanks for the support everyone. Looks like a useful link, Sci. I'll post something up soon. Hopefully I can get someone to work with me without paying upfront on the assumption we'd get paid IF anything was picked up. Then again, I can see how the artists may want something for the time put in regardless. I'll see how the fishing goes.

I'm bracing myself for that one. I'd heard some "daddy" issues have been retconned in time for Avengers 2 but was unaware of any FF meddling. I'm sure it was mentioned here or on the MCU thread that someone at Marvel had promised Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were not going to be retconned into inhumans. Why lie about it? The funny thing is Quicksilver was an Inhuman for a time after the decimation event where he wound up with a load of terrigen crystals stuck in him. There and back, and there again.

I've been catching up on East is West again. Loved the scene with the oracle and the eyes - eww.

Axis #8: Garbage.

Overture #4: Trippy.

Multiversity Thunderworld: Excellence.

Bugger - didn't know multiversity was out this week. It's one flaw with the covers in that they don't really scream "this is a new issue of multiversity" when on the racks. They are nice designs once spotted though.

I enjoyed Wytches too. They make good use of turning the page as the equivalent of a shock moment.

Manifest destiny is still proving enjoyable too,especially with regards to the monster designs.

Multiversity was great again. This is probably the title I'm enjoying the most right now. I really liked the art in this issue. I'm not all that familiar with Cameron Stewart, but his art fit perfectly with this story. It seems that's been true of all the issues so far tbh.

Speaking of artwork, Overture looked great as usual. The color's on that book are insane.

Might have to pick up the trade of Wytches when it's out. Hearing a lot of positive about it.

Multiversity was great again. This is probably the title I'm enjoying the most right now. I really liked the art in this issue. I'm not all that familiar with Cameron Stewart, but his art fit perfectly with this story. It seems that's been true of all the issues so far tbh.

Speaking of artwork, Overture looked great as usual. The color's on that book are insane.

Might have to pick up the trade of Wytches when it's out. Hearing a lot of positive about it.

Morrison is really writing stories that perfectly suit the artists he has worked with in the past. It really is a "best of" in every sense. I'm off to read my copy now :)

I'll wait for the no doubt deluxe hardcover of OVerture when it's finished. Have to admit that while it took forever for Multiversity to launch it has stuck to its schedule upon release (which I never expected). Guess it depends on the editor.

Wytches is great but, much like "ten grand" I don't think it would work with any other artist. Hopefully Jock is on board for the whole thing.

Green Lantern Corps: Things are shifting around, and I fear some of the momentum has been lost. Still a good crossover, but sadly only at the level of Infinity at this point. The compelling Good vs Good aspect has been replaced by Good vs Evil-that-thinks-it's-Good.

Wicked & Divine #6: Good issue. Loved the Prince "cameo". I love the world building that's going on, though I admit without the 'net I wouldn't catch things like Shelley and Byron being part of previous Pantheons.

Not going to forswear Avengers but yeah, that was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. What utter contempt for their own continuity.

But it's a retcon of a retcon, and it means that we'll never again maybe get shit like Bendis having all the Avengers talk about how doomed Wanda was from the get-go thanks to her father. I'm willing to roll with it JUST FOR THAT.

Wicked & Divine #6: Good issue. Loved the Prince "cameo". I love the world building that's going on, though I admit without the 'net I wouldn't catch things like Shelley and Byron being part of previous Pantheons.

Just got done catching up on this. Read the trade and #6, I missed that as well.

You're talking about the paintings right?

Seems like a fun book, will probably start reading this one monthly.

But it's a retcon of a retcon, and it means that we'll never again maybe get shit like Bendis having all the Avengers talk about how doomed Wanda was from the get-go thanks to her father. I'm willing to roll with it JUST FOR THAT.

I haven't read AXIS but was this retcon another "wanda says so" deal or was there actually some effort put into altering the story? Regarding retcon of a retcon I'm interested in knowing what the original orgin was for these two characters? I vaguely recall some BS about them being adopted or something, in which case I need to take the new development with a pinch of salt.

I do wonder if Marvel should just cave and relaunch everything as the cinematic version because it is cringeworthy to watch the non-sensical bending over backwards that any long term reader is observing. At the least they should just do an imprint serving that function so they don't have to do it with the regular books.

Just got done catching up on this. Read the trade and #6, I missed that as well.

You're talking about the paintings right?

Seems like a fun book, will probably start reading this one monthly.

Yeah, I enjoy the writer notes KG posts on his blog. I'd miss most of the music/art history references otherwise

Not into the whole tumblr cosplay scene that seems to follow KG & JM, though I appreciate that sort of thing is out there. Everyone now and then one of those fans really does manage to bring JM's drawings to life.

I haven't read AXIS but was this retcon another "wanda says so" deal or was there actually some effort put into altering the story? Regarding retcon of a retcon I'm interested in knowing what the original orgin was for these two characters? I vaguely recall some BS about them being adopted or something, in which case I need to take the new development with a pinch of salt.

I do wonder if Marvel should just cave and relaunch everything as the cinematic version because it is cringeworthy to watch the non-sensical bending over backwards that any long term reader is observing. At the least they should just do an imprint serving that function so they don't have to do it with the regular books.

They were just the Maximoff twins for the first ten years. I don't remember when Django and Marya Maximoff were first mentioned, but Wanda and Pietro found out they had been adopted by that Romani couple in 1974. Around that time, Marvel decided it was a good idea to make them the Whizzer and Miss America's children (I doubt there were too many people around who still gave a damn about those characters, but whatever), and Wanda started calling herself "Wanda frank", after her new dad. That lasted for five years. In 1979, Bova the cow told them they weren't really the golden couple's kids, that those children had died in childbirth along with Miss America, and the good old cow decided to present them to the Whizzer as his kids, but their actual mother was a woman named Magda - and, in an X-book published that same month, it was revealed that Magneto had been married to a Magda. Magneto finds out that he's the twins' father soon enough, but that's only revealed to Wanda and Pietro in 1983. So, yeah, that's one of the most convoluted origin stories in the Marvel Universe about to get even worse thanks to Wundagore, the High Evolutionary, a talking cow, and now Disney.

Alright, nothing is sacred in comics anymore, at least not since Bucky came back, we get it. But being related has been a fundamental part of those characters for thirty years - and even before that they already had a complicated relationship thanks to the Brotherhood years, which made that reveal all the more brilliant. If I'm not mistaken, all the times Magneto tried to become a better man since then were at least partially motivated by thoughts of his children. And so was practically all the character development for Wanda, and especially Pietro. To throw that away, all for corporate reasons, and make nearly all the characters and readers experienced on that front null, that's disgusting. I'm with you here - I wish they would just announce the end of the 616 universe and create something new where no one tried to disguise what was truly going on. Maybe Secret Wars will finally do that, they've damaged 616 enough already.

All that happened on AXIS so far on that front was: inverted Wanda was out destroying Latveria having a great time, when inverted Magneto and Pietro arrived to stop her from killing inverted Doom, which allowed him to escape. Wanda got angry, when "Chton mode", cast a spell that was supposed to inflict great pain on her blood relatives in the area, but only Pietro was affected. She got confused, and then came to the triumphant conclusion that "YAY! I'M NOT RELATED TO MAGNETO!" and proceeded to spend the next several panels going on a Magneto-like speech about how happy she was that they were nothing to each other. And that continued on to the next issue, until Doom arrived with Doctor Voodoo who made his brother's spirit possess Wanda (because when does anyone ever waste that opportunity) and next issue will show us the result of that. Too much nonsense, right? I'm still left wondering how much would have gone differently if Marvel had allowed Remender to do his thing and not fill the company's mandate.

Anyway, that's it so far: Wanda's spell showed her she doesn't have Magneto's blood in her veins. If not for the fact that Brevoort and Alonso have pretty much admitted all of that will be better developed in Uncanny Avengers Vol. 2, the solicits mentioning Wanda and Pietro making shocking discoveries about their past, the inclusion of the High Evolutionary, the "No More Mutants" teaser featuring Wanda and Pietro, how the first arc of UA will end around the same time Age of Ultron will hit theaters, and how corporate synergy has infiltrated the comics so thoroughly, I'd agree that it would probably be explained by Wanda having messed up when casting a spell again. Alas, we're left with an event called "Axis" where the Romani-Jewish children of two holocaust survivors will cease to be both that and part of the most important minority in the Marvel Universe.

If all of this, along with several previous actions, were just part of a plan to make everyone celebrate the line-wide reboot when that happens, great job, Marvel.

Axis #9: Not good...but not as bad as I expected. Was hoping for something more definite on Xavier's resurrection but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

New Avengers #28: Good but my usual complaint applies - what's up with this 8 month jump? That and you can tell Hickman losing the second Avengers issue he was supposed to get took its toll on this story. Seems like he was really planning for some more gravitas here in the way of his FF run.

Axis #9: Not good...but not as bad as I expected. Was hoping for something more definite on Xavier's resurrection but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Pretty much my feelings as well. I actually kinda liked the ending with Sabertooth.

Did anyone else read Uncanny X-Men #29? So they have retconned how Professor X got paralyzed? And are making what happened in First Class canon? Or did Magneto paralyze him in an alternate storyline or something? I thought a character called Lucifer paralyzed X.

Liked Magneto #13. With the exception of the couple tie in issues to Axis this book has been great.

Black Science #11 was pretty good. Packed with action (and a giant hippo!), and all the different timeline characters finally came together in one issue. Hopefully that will create a story that's easier to follow going forward. Saw it's taking a couple months off, back in March.

I picked up the first 3 issues of Wytches too. Haven't read them yet, but just flipping through them the art looks pretty good.

Did anyone else read Uncanny X-Men #29? So they have retconned how Professor X got paralyzed? And are making what happened in First Class canon? Or did Magneto paralyze him in an alternate storyline or something? I thought a character called Lucifer paralyzed X.

Magneto paralyzed him in New X-men. Well, it was Xorn, but nobody cares.

Archived