Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Started reading Reload by Warren Ellis. Tis terrible and infantile with bad dialog and lazy plot. Stopped. Remembered WE is insane now and doh-ed. Or was it frank miller, hard to keep track.

Never heard of it, is it a new one?

Warren Ellis is a mixed bag for me - some of his work is amazing and the rest is usually meh. Having read one of his books I think he's better off in that medium now as you get the crazy characters. I think it's easy to spot the books he does because he's stoked about doing them vs the ones he's doing for the paycheck. The thing is it isn't a simple case of those being creator owned vs work for hire.

Unwritten had an interesting ending...I think I liked it but I need to reread all of Apocalpyse now to see how it fits. Or maybe do a series reread...

Haven't looked at my Multiversity Guidebook yet, though I am a bit sad we're past the hump with this story. GM has been firing on all cylinders here.

Haven't looked at my Multiversity Guidebook yet, though I am a bit sad we're past the hump with this story. GM has been firing on all cylinders here.

This issue is where things tie together more clearly. It's like a history of the DC universe with an excellent map of the multiverse tying everything together. I hope they keep this map as it is really elegant. Hickman will be jealous!

It is pricey though. Then again, it's going to take me 2 evenings to read it properly.

New issue of Hawkeye today. It might just be the massive delays between issues, but I feel like this dropped off in quality over time and became more than a little self-indulgent, which delayed the resolution to the main plotline rather needlessly.

Also: it seems to me that an escalation of violence to this scale should maybe attract the attention of a few of the dozens(?) of superheroes living in New York. Of course that would go completely against the basic premise of the book.

Overall this has been fun, but I'm also glad that the next issue will not only be the last of this storyline but will also mark the end of the current creative team. That way I won't feel obligated to keep following this.

Though I will probably still check out what the new writer does with this a few months down the road.

Picked up Nameless, Saga and Bunker. Causes trouble at the checkout as the barcode reader doesn't work on the "kid proof" plastic bags they put them in.

Was it the last issue in the current run of Hawkeye? Marvel must be pissed at the creators with this one. Just as the series was hitting momentum with awards and word of mouth, it grinds to a halt. I didn't start reading until august 2013 and I'm pretty sure I've read new 4 issues since then.

Was it the last issue in the current run of Hawkeye? Marvel must be pissed at the creators with this one. Just as the series was hitting momentum with awards and word of mouth, it grinds to a halt. I didn't start reading until august 2013 and I'm pretty sure I've read new 4 issues since then.

Second to last. They managed to put out five issues in 2014, but only 1 was in the second half of the year.

Lots of good stuff for me this week. Spawn #250, Saga #25 (glad it's back!), East of West #17, American Vampire #6, Wyches #4, and Nameless #1. Really liked the cover of Nameless, between it and being written by Grant Morrison I figured I'd like it,and I did. Definitely has potential. Will have to reread it though as it was typical Morrison.

Lots of good stuff for me this week. Spawn #250, Saga #25 (glad it's back!), East of West #17, American Vampire #6, Wyches #4, and Nameless #1. Really liked the cover of Nameless, between it and being written by Grant Morrison I figured I'd like it,and I did. Definitely has potential. Will have to reread it though as it was typical Morrison.

was spawn 250 any good?

I'm trading east of west but still digging it a lot. I discoverd wytches was on my home pull list (still dont have the heart to ditch the store owner) so I'm no longer buying two issues.

I'm hoping Nameless is Grant's take on FF. It's a shame he never wrote the FF - he's one of the people who could make it relevant again.

was spawn 250 any good?

I'm trading east of west but still digging it a lot. I discoverd wytches was on my home pull list (still dont have the heart to ditch the store owner) so I'm no longer buying two issues.

I'm hoping Nameless is Grant's take on FF. It's a shame he never wrote the FF - he's one of the people who could make it relevant again.

I thought Spawn #250 was pretty good. I've always really liked Sam and Twitch, and they were in much of the issue. I'm glad Al is back, I can't believe it's been 65 issues since his death. That's a hell of a lot longer than most titles wait to bring back a dead character. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new creative team will do with the book. Paul Jenkins I'm familiar with, Jonboy not so much.

Just found out Nameless is only a 6 issue miniseries. I thought this was going to be ongoing. :(

Well, he did write Fantastic Four, although not as an ongoing.

When and where? Was it any good?

I thought Spawn #250 was pretty good. I've always really liked Sam and Twitch, and they were in much of the issue. I'm glad Al is back, I can't believe it's been 65 issues since his death. That's a hell of a lot longer than most titles wait to bring back a dead character. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new creative team will do with the book. Paul Jenkins I'm familiar with, Jonboy not so much.

Just found out Nameless is only a 6 issue miniseries. I thought this was going to be ongoing. :(

I've never really given spawn much of a chance but it's nice they keep moving forward with their stories and 65 issues is a decent stretch (I guess marvel covers 65 issues in 18 months these days).

Nameless was pretty good. It's not really what I was expecting but that's typical Morrison. Seemed to be a weird Inception homage for most of the issue. Burnham's art really reminds me of Quitely but lacking that dynamic edge. It's still pretty good but it's a bit like when someone really looks like Jim Lee but can't do Jim Lee as well as Jim Lee. If that makes any sense?

Great artist as well. It must have been my student finances of the time that caused me to miss it. Then again, i get the impression Morrison improves with age as I didn't appreciate a lot of his work until more recently. I think it was only after his X-men run I started checking out his work more eg The flith and We3. Although i loved Animal Man instantly after reading it in 2001. The invisibles didn't grab me but I'm thinking it's probably worth revisiting.

Great artist as well. It must have been my student finances of the time that caused me to miss it. Then again, i get the impression Morrison improves with age as I didn't appreciate a lot of his work until more recently. I think it was only after his X-men run I started checking out his work more eg The flith and We3. Although i loved Animal Man instantly after reading it in 2001. The invisibles didn't grab me but I'm thinking it's probably worth revisiting.

I'm reading the Invisibles right now, it is absolutely blowing my mind. I have to finish it to judge it properly, but right now I'm thinking I would rank it as one of my absolute favorites along with some of the classics, Sandman, Watchmen, etc.

I can't believe more people don't know about how badly The Matrix completely ripped off The Invisibles.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the Invisibles right now, it is absolutely blowing my mind. I have to finish it to judge it properly, but right now I'm thinking I would rank it as one of my absolute favorites along with some of the classics, Sandman, Watchmen, etc.

I can't believe more people don't know about how badly The Matrix completely ripped off The Invisibles.

I need to give that series another go, Like I said, I think I was too young for it the first time I gave it a shot. I recall the MAtrix thing being quite widespread in the comics side of the internet. A bit like the books of magic character and HArry Potter.

I was looking at this sales list yesterday. From what I could gather the most people they can get to buy a comic within the general readers market is 300K. Anything higher than that is driven by multiple cover variants which is a sad state for the industry. I'm pretty sure most of the top 10 all rely on multiple covers with the possible exception of civil war and cap america's death.

Multiversity Mastermen - Good stuff. Wish we learned a bit more about what's going on here. Feels like there is a lot of the final Multiversity comic to cover?

Avengers World 17 - Nice bit of catch up on what the heck happened 8 months ago. Wish there'd been more focus on the characters in the main storyline where they wasted 5-6 issues on Cap traveling through time.

Autumnlands Tooth and Claw #4: Really shaping up to be the best fantasy I've read in awhile. Loving this and Birthright.

This issue is where things tie together more clearly. It's like a history of the DC universe with an excellent map of the multiverse tying everything together. I hope they keep this map as it is really elegant. Hickman will be jealous!

It is pricey though. Then again, it's going to take me 2 evenings to read it properly.

Yeah I really liked it. I think I'll have to get the mega hardcover for Multiversity when they put that out.

Also, Nameless fucking rocked. Is it really only 6 issues?

Autumnlands, Lazarus, and Multiversity all were great this week. The trial by combat in Lazarus was pretty cool, and the ending looks to be setting up some all out craziness.

Jim Lee doing an issue of Multiversity was a bonus for me, he's one of my absolute favorite artists. Is there really only one more issue? :(

Archived