Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Apocalypse, the Messiah, certainly has a nice ring to it. I sort of disagree with you; one of the things Apocalypse wants is to ensure evolution, isn't it? He'd need the mutants for that.

My take on him from the 90s was that he was all about "survival of the fittest". He's only interested in the strong mutants - I don't even think they need to be mutants just stronger. In which case he'd be fine with the crappy ones dying out or the entire race as long as there were other candidates eg Inhumans to fill the void. Then again, who knows what they've turned him into of late as I gave up on Apocalypse after the awful Milligan X-men story just after decimation. Remender's run doesn't exactly count as it doesn't have Apocalypse in it.

The problem with inversions is that they always get complicated when you try and think of every type of opposite. If Cyclops likes chocolate does inverted him like vanilla?

They had set up cyke as apocalypse for a few years. I really hoped remender would be the one who would pull the trigger on it.

I'm also pleased Remender is in charge of this one - he's one of the few Marvel writers who seems to care and know about the X-men. That APocalypse/Cyclops story must be a decade old at least. That's almost Claremont level dangling plot.

Unwritten: Apocalypse #7: Not a bad issue, but definitely feels like the middle of a story...which is weird seeing as there are only 5 issues left. Does this whole thing go out with a whimper rather than a bang?

Saga #21: The slow burn toward what Hazel has already told us is going to happen is sad. The comic is still good though it is hard to move ever closer to the event given how likable the characters are.

So Marko cheats on Alana, who is doped on drugs and likely almost hurts Hazel somehow? Hopefully it's more unpredictable than that.

Supreme Blue Rose #1: Gorgeous artwork, and a promising story. Hopefully Ellis doesn't fuck this one up!

I haven't caught up with Saga yet... still on 18. I went to buy the digital issues on Amazon and I didn't see them. Are they only available through the Image site now?

I was taken aback by the art on previews for gotham by night and Gotham academy. I thought DC had to look pretty much the same throughout the line. Looks like the BAt Editor from Vertigo is willing to think outside the box which is promising. I wouldn't usually give either book a chance but the art alone will probably get an issue 1 out of me. I guess DC are hoping to drag in some new readers, if "gotham£ tv is a hit, and are willing to try different art styles to catch them.

It's a shame I have no confidence in Templesmith sticking around after the "ten grand" fiasco. At least in this case I imagine he's only contracted for the opening arc. Lets hope he can manage that - I want to trust his output again as he's a unique skill in comics.

Weird, I didn't see this thread the last few days. Sorry I missed your question Lady Olenna!

So...thoughts about Multiversity? Has some echoes of Seven Soldiers, with the Gentry being a word for the Fey but we know how he likes to get holographic with his books.

Beyond that...I loved it. I actually felt a little disoriented reading the book at first, but in a good way, given the shift from comic to reality to comic and so on. The Gentry are appropriately creepy, harkening back to the days of Doom Patrol.

I like that you don't just bring yourself, but your laws of physics with you as you travel the multiverse. Or at least the Supper Rabbit guy does?

Will have to read again, naturally, but so far I think Morrison is right to call this one of his best books. Ideally it's worthy of the...what? 10 years? it took to come out.

Will have to read again, naturally, but so far I think Morrison is right to call this one of his best books. Ideally it's worthy of the...what? 10 years? it took to come out.

10 years to finish I suspect, too.

Looking forward to grabbing it as I don't think I can wait,

I really liked Multiversity. I think you summed up my feelings perfectly Sci.

I picked up Brubaker and Phillips new title The Fade Out as well. Enjoyed that one too. Definitely has potential. Idk if it's Phillips art, but I like it much better than Velvet. I dropped that after only a few issues.

I really liked Multiversity. I think you summed up my feelings perfectly Sci.

I picked up Brubaker and Phillips new title The Fade Out as well. Enjoyed that one too. Definitely has potential. Idk if it's Phillips art, but I like it much better than Velvet. I dropped that after only a few issues.

Me too with Multiversity. I guess there must be more pages than usual but it was still one of the densest reads I've had in a comic for some time. I hope the rest of the series is as strong and sticks to a schedule. I'm also releived it's been left as a small event - no 52 spin offs attached. Yet...

I suspect Brubaker saves his best ideas for Phillips. I don't blame him the two go together perfectly (a bit like Morrison and Quietly but quicker). Does this mean "fatale" is over?

I suspect Brubaker saves his best ideas for Phillips. I don't blame him the two go together perfectly (a bit like Morrison and Quietly but quicker). Does this mean "fatale" is over?

Yeah, Fatale is over. Is was just a 24 issue run. Not my favorite Brubaker story ever, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Yeah, Fatale is over. Is was just a 24 issue run. Not my favorite Brubaker story ever, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Will try and give the first trade at home ago. Sleeper is still my favourite work by the pair although criiminal was good too.

Sleeper is great. Miss Misery <3.

I haven't started Criminal yet, I just got it recently and it's on my to read shelf.

I think Criminal is one that will work well reading as a series of trades. It's a bit like "100 bullets" in the sense that the characters and events all intermingle even though on the surface it appears to be an anthology.

• 2 weeks later...

Nooooo Marvel cancelled Elektra. Probably the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen in a comic book. Check out these images. This stuff was in a freaking comic book.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/03/Elektra_1_Preview_1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/fa1d0c917952b98dac0d584b7586b602/tumblr_n185g11Dxs1rxqzeco1_1280.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/0/40/3821703-w1+elektra2014002_int2.jpg.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/ELektra-2-2-c17f4.jpg

Mike Del Mundo is incredible. Good news is that Marvel was blown away by Blackman and Del Mundo's work, but Elektra's book just wasn't selling, and that they'd love to get them on something else ASAP.

I'd love to see them do a Doctor Strange book, or something else that's either supernatural/occult or cosmic.

Damn that's some nice art.

So I finished Original Sin...and I didn't understand what secret BPanther and Dr. S were keeping from Cap. I'll go back and check but the whole thing was ultimately so tedious hoping someone can let me know if it's just the Incursions.

Damn that's some nice art.

So I finished Original Sin...and I didn't understand what secret BPanther and Dr. S were keeping from Cap. I'll go back and check but the whole thing was ultimately so tedious hoping someone can let me know if it's just the Incursions.

I thought, in that case, the secret they were keeping from Cap was just what Fury had been up to all these years? But yeah, terribly disappointing event. But I liked the tie-ins I read, at least, which was a first.

Nooooo Marvel cancelled Elektra. Probably the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen in a comic book. Check out these images. This stuff was in a freaking comic book.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/03/Elektra_1_Preview_1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/fa1d0c917952b98dac0d584b7586b602/tumblr_n185g11Dxs1rxqzeco1_1280.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/0/40/3821703-w1+elektra2014002_int2.jpg.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/ELektra-2-2-c17f4.jpg

Mike Del Mundo is incredible. Good news is that Marvel was blown away by Blackman and Del Mundo's work, but Elektra's book just wasn't selling, and that they'd love to get them on something else ASAP.

I'd love to see them do a Doctor Strange book, or something else that's either supernatural/occult or cosmic.

Del Mundo in a Strange book :bowdown: Or it could be in the inevitable Scarlet Witch solo that should be announced soon, since it seems she'll become Sorceress Supreme in Axis; any of those is good.

The art was amazing, I agree, but the story... And Elektra is simply not that popular a character to work in an actual solo series instead of just a mini or team-up.

Del Mundo on a Strange book is a good call. Marvel need to get him on a good project ASAP though before Remender or any of the other Image guys snap him up to do a creator-owned title. Then again, I'd probably prefer to see him cut loose on a new image title.

The Elektra dancing/killing page is a one piece CV screaming "I'm hired".

For those disappointed with Original Sin, don't worry there's another Marvel event (that will change everything) next month. No doubt it'll be another case of their being a decent 4-6 issue are of uncanny avengers in there but it will be blown out of all proportion, dragged out and ultimately castrated to tie into their next "nothing will be the same" crossover event that will start in February.

There's more chance with "spider-verse" in the sense it will just be the spider-books (although you can never rule that out) but it too will get bogged down with too many minis - I'm hoping some of them will be fun though like with the Flashpoint:Batman a few years ago.

I saw a few people on the Internet say how the story itself and the experimental artwork just didn't fit the character of Elektra . Not sure what that means as it was the first time I had ever read one of her titles, but I don't fault the story for not being mind blowing yet. I assumed the first arc was just supposed to kind of re-introduce us to her character and to really get inside her head and find out who she was as a person, and then the action was really gonna pick up in Arc 2.

I was really looking forward to Elektra in New Orleans, and the idea that she would maybe take over the Assassins Guild there.

I saw a few people on the Internet say how the story itself and the experimental artwork just didn't fit the character of Elektra . Not sure what that means as it was the first time I had ever read one of her titles, but I don't fault the story for not being mind blowing yet. I assumed the first arc was just supposed to kind of re-introduce us to her character and to really get inside her head and find out who she was as a person, and then the action was really gonna pick up in Arc 2.

I was really looking forward to Elektra in New Orleans, and the idea that she would maybe take over the Assassins Guild there.

I'm trying to think of a time when an Elektra solo has worked and it escapes me. Even the Frank Miller one worked because it was a mini-series as opposed to an ongoing. She's best as a supporting character, I think. I can see why they want to push the character though.

Archived