Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

Okay, I haven't been much of a Remender fan lately, but damn, Uncanny Avengers #25 was amazing! The man completely retconned Wanda's and Magneto's relationship, but I don't even care; it had more emotional resonance than anything Marvel has published in ages. Really excited about Axis now!

Thor #1 and Guardians 3000 #1 were pretty great as well.

And, on sadder news, All-New X-Factor is getting cancelled. From the looks of it, no perspective of it being relaunched for now. :crying:

"If you kill the genocidal Nazi psychopath who's been active for 80 years in his concentration camp while he's using the stolen brain of the most powerful telepath on Earth, YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN HE IS!"

Yes, seriously.

Anyway, are people reading Silver Surfer? Because it's probably the most fun book out there. I strongly recommend it.

In fairness they tend to tell us the end of events anyhow. At least this way it is via story instead of a news channel

Heh, is that a DC dig?

Thor #1 was nice but felt a little short on story, and I'm a bit annoyed the wielder is mysterious despite the story suggesting a particular person.

Green Lanterns New Gods #1 was good too. Better presentation of the New Gods than I expected. Beings who think in terms of universes as battlegrounds/traps and collections of planets, if not galaxies, as acceptable losses and/or fodder...but who nonetheless are fighting something worse.

Guardians 3000 #1 was intriguing. Feels a bit Edge of Tomorrow, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do get a bit worried when time travel comics don't have the words "Grant" and "Morrison" on the cover...

Heh, is that a DC dig?

I forgot DC had that newschannel back-up. No, it's mainly at Marvel broadcasting the changes way before the issue comes out. The most recent being captain Falcon or Thor losing his hammer (but sharing his name) to a female character.

Okay, I haven't been much of a Remender fan lately, but damn, Uncanny Avengers #25 was amazing! The man completely retconned Wanda's and Magneto's relationship, but I don't even care; it had more emotional resonance than anything Marvel has published in ages. Really excited about Axis now!

Thor #1 and Guardians 3000 #1 were pretty great as well.

And, on sadder news, All-New X-Factor is getting cancelled. From the looks of it, no perspective of it being relaunched for now. :crying:

They want to have Quicksilver with the Avengers in time for the film.Not sure if he is the be all and end all of that title but maybe sales were bad. I think X-factor always had a small but loyal fanbase. The relaunch may have been a jumping off point. A similar thing occurred between the Avengers Arena and undercover relaunch where it damaged sales.

I really have to give props to DC, just three years after the reboot their universe feels as hard to get into as ever. Way to go!

just three years after the reboot and they actually start releasing some bat books that look and feel different too

Birthright #1: Good stuff. Has an 80s fantasy feel to it, but with a darker twist.

Wytches #1: Not scary but relatively interesting. The bullying stuff was a bit cliched, and the foreshadowing....well, it's all very Snyder so it's on the nose.

Annihilator #1 & #2: Gorgeous art from Irving, good story from Morrison. Of course the whole living fiction thing is Morrison's trade mark but he's made things different enough here that I'm hooked.

AXIS #1: Okay. Remender is forcing the old school feel, and the lack of foreshadowing of the final plot twist made it feel rather weak. Not sure where this is going, as we've seen him do a Red Skull story and so far this is just an extension of that. Heck, the villains in Battle of the Atom felt like more of an existential threat than Red Onslaught....also the fact they call him "Red Onslaught" in the comic...sigh...

Avengers 036: I like the new status quo, but I would like to see something of the last 8 months. Hopefully this story hasn't been completely shortchanged by this 8 month thing...though IIRC it's Hickman who wanted this time jump? Or was it Remender?

AXIS wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. At least the heroes were only fighting each other when manipulated by the Red Skull, and they all acted like adults in recognizing the bigger threat. I do agree with Sci-2 that the ending felt weak and out of left field.

Avengers #36- I'm enjoying it, though of course I was hoping for more information; that said, I'm not sure Hickman is allowed to reveal anymore than he already did.

The Manhattan Projects #24- Well, it wouldn't be TMP if they didn't kill

Kennedy

with psychotic science. I used spoiler tags, but frankly, if you know anything about the comic, you already know what I hid there.

I agree with the general feeling that AXIS #1 wasn't as good as it could have been, as it's all over the place, but for a first issue, I think that's acceptable. But since it's the first time since... 2010?... that we see all X-Men fight on the same side (not counting OGNs), I don't mind the rest. And while the art seems rushed most of the time, some of the panels were amazing, particularly the ones of Wanda using her magic.

Amazing Spider-Man #7, on the other hand, was really fun!

Avengers 036: I like the new status quo, but I would like to see something of the last 8 months. Hopefully this story hasn't been completely shortchanged by this 8 month thing...though IIRC it's Hickman who wanted this time jump? Or was it Remender?

Nah, it's probably all Hickman, since his story happens long after AXIS. But I agree that it's a bit frustrating not to see those 8 months.

Nah, it's probably all Hickman, since his story happens long after AXIS. But I agree that it's a bit frustrating not to see those 8 months.

Thanks for that!

Jesus, though, what a fucking cluster-fuck. I still can't tell if there's a good reason for any of this time jump crap...seems like Infinity fucked up whatever Hickman's plans were...

Wytches was very solid (better than Outcast) and I thought the art was genuinely creepy along with the "pledged is pledged" line/scene. I may read it in trade though.

Black Science 9 - love the art and the writing but I have to admit this is far too confusing on a monthly basis. I genuinely thought I'd missed an issue and the unwillingness to ever tell us who someone is (or which version of the someone it is) is starting to ruin my enjoyment. I'm also going to switch to trades on this and hope it makes more sense but the fear then is that I get even more confused over the 6 month gaps. It's a shame as it's something that could be easily fixed.

Black Science 9 - love the art and the writing but I have to admit this is far too confusing on a monthly basis. I genuinely thought I'd missed an issue and the unwillingness to ever tell us who someone is (or which version of the someone it is) is starting to ruin my enjoyment. I'm also going to switch to trades on this and hope it makes more sense but the fear then is that I get even more confused over the 6 month gaps. It's a shame as it's something that could be easily fixed.

I feel the exact same way. This was the first issue where I actually thought wtf am I reading?

I feel the exact same way. This was the first issue where I actually thought wtf am I reading?

Glad it's not just me having a poor attention span! It'll be a massive shame if the book loses readers because of inaccessibility, It's funny as I usually think that term is for comics with too many crossovers and long-standing storylines. This is less than a years' worth of issues and it's losing me already. Maybe I should email them and point it out.

Nothing really exciting from the NYCC for me so far. A groan at secret wars and a sense of panic over "no more mutants".

walking dead comic:

way back in the early days of the zombie apocalypse rick and friends learned you could cover yourselves in zombie gore and they would not notice you.

maybe four years in, we have bandits who are wearing zombie skin masks, walking around with the dead, using them as cover and shock troops against the living. i like it. there are only so many new ways to be innovative and to evolve in the battle against the dead.

i am excited to see who these freethinking assholes are!

Thanks for that!

Jesus, though, what a fucking cluster-fuck. I still can't tell if there's a good reason for any of this time jump crap...seems like Infinity fucked up whatever Hickman's plans were...

My general optimism for Hickman resolving "who the hell is Rabum Alal" in a way that's 1) elegant 2) narratively satisfying has dwindled pretty much to zero, with the announcement of this whole Secret Wars thing.

My god, what if Rabum Alal, the Multiversal Destroyer is...the Beyonder? WHITE SUIT TIME!

In other multiversal news, I still want to destroy everyone working on Earth 2, except for the artists, with my mind.

New Avengers #25: Decent issue, definitely a middle of story type thing. Really not sure how to feel about this time jump.

Avengers World #14: Interesting journey over the last fourteen issues. That said, feel like I have to reread these from the beginning to really get a better sense of what happened.

Axis #2: Okay. Really feels like something is missing here.

New Guardians #35: This whole New Gods thing is actually working for me...

New Avengers #25- I mostly agree with Sci, although there's interesting information: Brian is

The LAST Captain Britain I suppose it makes sense that a multiverse threat would target them, but damn..

Which is the kind of detail that makes me wonder if the story happening in Hickman's books is truly set in 616 continuity and, if so (and I believe Brevoort and him have said it is), how they will avoid doing something similar to what Remender did in Uncanny Avengers after Planet X.

Axis #2: Okay. Really feels like something is missing here.

Do you mean, the excitement, and general sense that it's going somewhere? Part of the problem might be Remender's choice of focusing on just Stark, though. Have you read Magneto #11? It better explains his actions, at least.

Marvel's teases for what looks like a "best of" of their events. Any guesses as to what that's all about? Nostalgia for the days people cared or are they so desperate they just repeat them? Without the FF ever being involved of course.

Archived