Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

If this report is true - it's the most promising bit of news I've heard from DC in a long time. In general the new 52 has been pretty conservative in approach and style. I haven't read any of the new Batgirl/academy/ or the templesmith books yet but they do stand out as looking different. It looks like bringing a vertigo editor over to the batbooks is working wonders. I guess the same was true when Marvel brought Alonso over several years ago. Fingers crossed we get some more unique voices in DC over the next 12 months.

It's funny to see DC innovating (cross your fingers!) while Marvel recycles all its past plots akin to the way I try to make a new meal out of leftovers or Taco Bell claims to have a "new" burrito that's really just a rearrangement of ingredients.

Secret Wars again? How fucking unoriginal can you get?

Edit: I just realized how negative my occasional posts in this thread has become, so I decided add end it on a more positive note :). I dug up my Usagi Yojimbo collection from a box a few days ago and damn, I had forgotten how much I love that comic book. Great art and storytelling, a great combination between whimsical and deadly serious and with an amazing consistency throughout. Stan Sakai is a god damned master.

Marvel is cancelling two of my favorite series (She-Hulk and X-Factor) while drowning more and more in an endless cycle of the same events, the relaunch of Uncanny Avengers will probably be as bad as AXIS has been or worse, the Scarlet Witch still doesn't have a solo ongoing, and nothing happens in the X-books anymore (really, Bendis, just get to the point already! Oh, Wolverine is dead, and so seems to be his side of the Schism; but then, that has been the case since the end of Aaron's WATXM, so...). I'm thinking this is the time I move my loyalties to Image for good, or maybe even DC. The end is nigh.

Marvel is cancelling two of my favorite series (She-Hulk and X-Factor) while drowning more and more in an endless cycle of the same events, the relaunch of Uncanny Avengers will probably be as bad as AXIS has been or worse, the Scarlet Witch still doesn't have a solo ongoing, and nothing happens in the X-books anymore (really, Bendis, just get to the point already! Oh, Wolverine is dead, and so seems to be his side of the Schism; but then, that has been the case since the end of Aaron's WATXM, so...). I'm thinking this is the time I move my loyalties to Image for good, or maybe even DC. The end is nigh.

I wouldn't worry about Scarlet Witch. As soon as they demutant her (keep her powers just not have them being related to a Fox owned property) she'll be everywhere. If she doesn't have a solo there'll definitely be a Scarlet/Quicksilver book out in time for Avengers 2.

The big two are companies you should really only dip into as opposed to becoming entrenched in them :)

AXIS #3: A new, pointless conflict between Avengers & X-men in which the X-men are shown as the irrational ones? Ah, Remender, you almost tricked me into thinking you were branching out. Besides that, not sure what is going on here or what's the point of all this blather. None of the other books seem to care about this AXIS stuff, AFAIK...

Avengers #37: Great issue. Probably one of the best in a long while, which is surprising because it's so talky. Makes me hope Secret Wars II won't be complete garbage.

Mutliversity - The Just: Another awesome world brought to us from the mind o' Morrison. Felt he captured the right blend of Teen Drama plus Superheroes. One issue that was way better than Mark Millar's take on this idea.Hope they definitely make at least a limited series about this world.

Red Lanterns #35, New Gods Issue: Good issue, haven't seen what Guy's been up to in some time. Knew he was a Red Lantern but guess he pseudo-retired from that.

The Unwritten Apocalypse #10: Interesting issue given there's only two left. Not sure where this is headed but I am hopeful Carey & Grossman can wrap things up despite - AFAICTell - being short changed in terms of how many issues they thought they were getting to finish things.

The Wicked & Divine #5: Good stuff, sad we have to wait until January for it to start again. At the same time, a reread would definitely help me as I feel a little bit lost amidst the gorgeous art.

I'm amazed that multiversity has come out on time so far! Guess we haven't got round to the Frank Quietly issue yet though.

think I may try and dip into the lanterns for this new god event. It seems to be getting a bit of buzz in a "sinestro corps" sleeper event kind of way.

I haven't read AXIS but I do have to wonder if Remender is spreading himself a little thin. He's got 3 image monthlies, Uncanny avengers and Captain america (on a more than monthly schedule) and now an event book on top. His Black Science books is still good but utterly confusing and it doesn't sound like anyone here is enjoying AXIS.

AXIS #3 was better than the first two issues, but that isn't saying much. Or maybe it just gives you that impression because Deadpool is the primary character, and Remender can write him better than most other writers; plus, it's always fun to see villains being more competent at handling things than the heroes. Other than that, just like the previous unity felt rushed and unearned, the same can be said for the various break ups going on now. Funny that he almost managed to make Havok likable, though.

All-New X-Factor #15 was not one of their strongest issues, and it's frustrating that they dragged this title to AXIS and didn't even bother waiting to see if that would boost sales. I wonder how much of a closure, if any, we're getting in January.

She-Hulk #9 was sheer perfection and just helps increase even more the frustration at Marvel's recent decisions.

I wouldn't worry about Scarlet Witch. As soon as they demutant her (keep her powers just not have them being related to a Fox owned property) she'll be everywhere. If she doesn't have a solo there'll definitely be a Scarlet/Quicksilver book out in time for Avengers 2.

The big two are companies you should really only dip into as opposed to becoming entrenched in them :)

You're certainly right on both accounts. But it's still offensive that Squirrel Girl, Rocket Raccoon and Angela from Spawn are getting solo series by Marvel and the best we can hope for the second oldest female Avenger is for her to share an ongoing with her twin, who will probably get top-billing just like Vision did in the 80's (not to mention how, to this day, the oldest female Avenger, the woman who named the team, has never had a shot at one).

There's a lot of surprisingly good stuff at DC right now. Mark Doyle has been god-tier at revamping the Batline, with a lot of genre and tonal variety within the Gotham-centric books. And DC is also doing magical/metaphysical, which Marvel hasn't really touched since Gillen's JiM ended (and you'd have to pay me to pick up Spawn's Girlfriend, even with Phil Jimenez doing art).

And praise the lord and pass the ammunition, Tom Taylor is off Earth 2 as of January. Thanks for the bloat and the Superfamily characters, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, but the title probably won't be readable again until the weekly is over. It's hard being a JSA fan sometimes.

Also, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is ending soon and you should read it from the top when it does if you haven't already. It is near perfection, and I am totally following Steve Lieber over to 'Quantum and Woody Must Die!', speaking of hilarious comedy books. Valiant has some serious talent lined up.

DC also seems to do better in general with female solo titles. Catwoman. etc have been around for a long time by this point whereas Marvel solo characters are more "on and off". Captain Marvel is probably their strongest female solo character (in terms of having a solo book out most of the time) which says a lot about the state of that.

DC also seems to do better in general with female solo titles. Catwoman. etc have been around for a long time by this point whereas Marvel solo characters are more "on and off". Captain Marvel is probably their strongest female solo character (in terms of having a solo book out most of the time) which says a lot about the state of that.

Marvel is investing in a lot of female solos upcoming, but I don't wonder if some of them are stealth minis. I mean, Silk? Really? I guess they think some of the huge sales for Slott's ASM will rub off, but I'm seriously doubting it (and it hasn't been true historically--hard-core Spider-fans want Peter Parker, Spock sold thanks to rage and curiosity). And the Gamora solo--announced with no artist attached--is clearly attempted movie cash-in, and the influence of movie stuff on the comics has been, IMO, solidly negative and flattening.

I'd say that many of Marvel's best and best-known ladies are X-Ladies, and they've been pretty reluctant to solo any of them (Storm's current solo? her first). G. Willow Wilson taking over Adjectiveless is a good sign. Captain Marvel has the noisy Carol Corps, but as the A. V. Club says today in the "Save She-Hulk" article, "It’s become clear that online buzz doesn’t translate to print sales, and because digital sales numbers are kept a secret, there’s no way of gauging whether or not social media fervor has any impact on digital sales." Ms. Marvel sells well digitally--no numbers, but it's in the Top Ten on Comixology via that sidebar--but Captain...Marvel wants a Wonder Woman that they own for movies, and they want it badly.

:agree:

And while most of Marvel decisions have annoyed me lately, and I'm not a fan of KSD's Carol Danvers so I wish a different character would get that promotion even though I understand this choice, it's great that they are finally acknowledging the need for diversity in their line and trying to do something about it, and wish the MCU would do the same. Looking forward to GWW's X-Men.

Well, technically we haven't seen the effects of the inversion on the main series yet (unless Havok being reasonable was it. That would explain a lot, really), but I did enjoy the results of it in Deadpool and Hobgoblin. Simpler than I expected, but it leads to some interesting situations.

Well, technically we haven't seen the effects of the inversion on the main series yet (unless Havok being reasonable was it. That would explain a lot, really), but I did enjoy the results of it in Deadpool and Hobgoblin. Simpler than I expected, but it leads to some interesting situations.

So we haven't seen the effects in the main book?

Okay, thanks, that makes more sense. Remender might've explained better instead of padding the last issue with so much filler.

Can't wait until Axis ends so I can go back to (hopefully) reading a great Magneto title.

The first 7 or 8 issues of the title were really, really fantastic. Then it had to start tying into Axis, and while Bunn has done an admirable job of trying to make it interesting, it's just not. I'm so fucking tired of events killing the momentum of interesting titles. Magneto was a freight train of terror and intensity and then Marvel did what Marvel can't help but do.

Archived