Did the Mountain try to imitate Lord Tywin's "humour"?

Biter the Gallant

Int ACOK,we hear from Chyswick the horroristic story of the gang-rape of the daughter of an innkeeper, Layna. Ser Gregor Clegane adds a humiliating joke to it: "Ser looks her over and says, ‘So this is the whore you’re so concerned for’ and this besotted old fool says, ‘My Layna’s no whore, ser’ right to Gregor’s face. Ser, he never blinks, just says, ‘She is now’ tosses the old man another silver, rips the dress off the wench, and takes her right there on the table in front of her da, her flopping and wiggling like a rabbit and making these noises. The look on the old man’s face, I laughed so hard ale was coming out me nose. (...) And now here’s the best bit . . . when it’s all done, Ser tells the old man that he wants his change. The girl wasn’t worth a silver, he says . . . and damned if that old man didn’t fetch a fistful of coppers, beg m’lord’s pardon, and thank him for the custom!"

However digusting and rude,it is still a joke - and the Mountain is not really a man of wits and humour. What if it is an imitation? What if the Mountain was just repeating Lord Tywin's cruel joke with Thysa (with the "payment" for the gangrape) on his own way? (Like when a stupid mafia hitman tries to impress his subordinates with a joke he has heard once from il capo di tutti capi.)

Can it indicate that the Mountain was present at,or even had taken part in the raping of Thysa? (Perhaps it is an evident connection, but I haven't seen it being discussed anywhere yet.)

It wasn't a cruel joke with Tywin, it was cruel but I don't think he found it funny at all. Also as others have said Tywin probably kept it quiet since people might mock him if it was known his son married a commoner.

I don't think that this is about humour, but the scenes are parallels to each other. The point is that a fish rots from the head. Tywin has set an example of how to impress Lannister dominance through the punishment of Tysha, an example that Gregor is pleased to imitate just because he is annoyed. His men however find it funny. So there is a pattern of degradation here, from pointed and deliberate savagery as a response to what Tywin sees as an insult to Lannister prestige to random debauchery just because they have the force to take what they want.

We'll see the same point replicated on a larger scale when the invasion and rape of the Riverlands takes place, savagery becomes a way of life and an end in itself as opposed to purely an instrument of policy, but it is that decision by Tywin to use savagery for political ends that starts the process off.

Archived