The significance of Sandor Clegane's 'Northern look'

I've been trying to find a post on this subject, but not succeeded, however if this discussion has been held before, please point me in the right direction people!

Something has struck me lately, when we see Sandor Clegane, we only seem to see his burns, but isn't it quite striking that he seems to have the same colouring as Ned Stark and Jon Snow?

The dark hair, the sharp features and especially the GREY eyes. In the world of GRRM a lot of significance is assigned to looks and colouring (the golden green-eyed Lannisters, the silver-gold hair and purple/indigo eyes of the Targaryens, all of the sand snakes have their father's eyes and so on). The colour of the characters hair and eyes seem to signify a belonging.

I know Sandor Clegane is said to have a Northern grandmother that might account for his look, but is it really that simple? And who was she?

Any thoughts?

I think its really that simple, she will have just been a daughter of a lower tier knightly Northern House.

I think the reason Sandor has the Northern look is to make the reader align him more with Starks, and therefore Sansa. He looks "right" for her/them. I do think he'll be team Stark by the end.

How do the typical northmen look like? Except Starks, Jeyne Poole, Boltons and the Reeds I do not remember exact description of any other Northman's colouring. There are not many blondes and redheads between the Wall and the Neck, it's known. The other Northmen described in the books are old and grey-haired, their original hair color is not known anymore.

Archived