Open Beer Review? What are you drinking now?

Nas!

Wait, what kind of beers are you drinking across the pond? I always imagined the taste is a lot different than ours, but never did I imagine them any less bitter than Stella. I've heard people around here (Eastern Europe) equate Stella to sugary carbonated water. The other 2 beers I listed (Staropramen and Kozel) are much more bitter than Stella. And if you spend some time on Czech Republic or the region you can find even more bitter brews ;).

^^^^

with an aftertaste of washed farts.

I'm in the cities. Fulton is the new young gun, but only a few varieties. Surly has been around for a few years now, tried expanding to Chicago, but couldn't keep up w/ the demand and had to remove their distribution to them. They've now expanded and may try it again, but they come out w/ some FANTASTIC beers. If you can find an 'Overrated' clone I'd HIGHLY suggest trying it out. It's damn good. Summit is the local powerhouse though. Been around for 25 years now and has been my brew of choice ever since I started drinking beer. They are somewhat national, so you can sometimes find them in other places besides MN. There was a long while when New Belgium and Summit were the only craft brews in the Midwest, which obviously ended a few years back when the craft brew craze really picked up.

Ah, I thought so. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for the "Overrated" brew. We've done Surly's "Bender" and "Cynic". I enjoy both Summit's and New Belgium's stuff. I'm in Bismarck, ND so things are still a bit slower to get here but we're getting there :)

That stuff is delicious. Don't drink it all the time, but a 6 pack every once in a while in the summer is great. I love taking one to a softball tournament since I know every one of the guys will take a Mich Golden over anything else 9 times out of 10. They hate it when I bring beer.

Like you, I don't drink shandies much but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. The Michelob Golden Draft thing must be pretty much a MN thing :) Whenever we get together with my wife's family from the Iron Range it's usually quite a beer drinking session where much Mich Golden Draft is consumed. Fortunately, my brothers-in-law like all different kinds of beer, though ;)

Ah, I thought so. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for the "Overrated" brew. We've done Surly's "Bender" and "Cynic". I enjoy both Summit's and New Belgium's stuff. I'm in Bismarck, ND so things are still a bit slower to get here but we're getting there :)

Like you, I don't drink shandies much but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. The Michelob Golden Draft thing must be pretty much a MN thing :) Whenever we get together with my wife's family from the Iron Range it's usually quite a beer drinking session where much Mich Golden Draft is consumed. Fortunately, my brothers-in-law like all different kinds of beer, though ;)

Oh man, you're missing out on the best Surly brews! If you like hoppy beers get a Furious clone (most are called Ferocious). It's a damn good beer. Overrated is still pretty new, so not sure if they have any of those available. The side of the can is really funny though and all tongue in cheek humor about the haters who think Surly brews bad beers. It's a 'beer for the fans' and it's great.

And the Mich golden draft thing, only a half dozen states even carry the stuff and it's pretty much at every event in MN. Once you get a taste for the nuances in beer it's really evident that there's a kind of 'sugary' taste to it.

Oh man, you're missing out on the best Surly brews! If you like hoppy beers get a Furious clone (most are called Ferocious). It's a damn good beer. Overrated is still pretty new, so not sure if they have any of those available. The side of the can is really funny though and all tongue in cheek humor about the haters who think Surly brews bad beers. It's a 'beer for the fans' and it's great.

And the Mich golden draft thing, only a half dozen states even carry the stuff and it's pretty much at every event in MN. Once you get a taste for the nuances in beer it's really evident that there's a kind of 'sugary' taste to it.

People think Surly brews bad beer? Oh well, like I was just saying to a co-worker: that's the beauty of beer, there really is something for everyone.

I liked the Surly "Bender" but I didn't think the "Cynic" was anything special. I prefer pale ales that are a bit more "malt-forward" than "Cynic" is. Also, yes, when we're drinking a lot of Mich Golden Draft it's not really for the flavor, etc. (there isn't much) but more for the extended "session-ability" of it, if you catch my drift ;)

People think Surly brews bad beer? Oh well, like I was just saying to a co-worker: that's the beauty of beer, there really is something for everyone.

I liked the Surly "Bender" but I didn't think the "Cynic" was anything special. I prefer pale ales that are a bit more "malt-forward" than "Cynic" is. Also, yes, when we're drinking a lot of Mich Golden Draft it's not really for the flavor, etc. (there isn't much) but more for the extended "session-ability" of it, if you catch my drift ;)

Oh yeah, lots of people hate on Surly because of it's popularity, especially other brewers, and doubly so after Furious won the best beer of the year award last year.

And why he drinks (well). He suggests you eat (well) to cleanse the poor taste.

We ordered in pizza from one of the local decent but unspectacular NY pie places.

And then we washed it down with some fucking awesome beers.

Miller High Life

Can a Mod please delete this thread? I'm feeling severe regret!

Had a pint of the Ninkasi "Lux" lager after a long, hot day of work. Perfect. Now I'm drinking some very fresh, very fine local "nano-brewed" ale and watching the France v Switzerland game which miraculously was not spoiled for me since. Life is good.

Jesus. Now I know how Mercenary Chef feels when he reads the cooking threads.

Why would you ever want to feel that bad? Just stay away.

And why he drinks (well). He suggests you eat (well) to cleanse the poor taste.

I tip my eight thousandth Sierra Nevada PA to you both. Please drink it for me. There's no other beer here.

Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed IPA, so so so good! This is one of my all-time favorite IPAs. I'm a sucker for robust juicy citra hop flavor, and this beer is all about pushing that flavor to its maximum. Tastes a little like SN Torpedo but sweeter, smoother, and even more packed with hops. In case you have not noticed, I LOVE this beer. My highest recommendation for a west-coast ale.

Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed IPA, so so so good! One of my all-time favorite IPAs. I'm a sucker for juicy citra hop flavor, and this beer pushes that style to its absolute maximum. It's kind of similar to SN Torpedo, but sweeter, smoother, and hoppier. I LOVE this beer. One of the finest examples of west-coast brewing style.

Archived