The Knick (tv show) (Clive Owen/Steven Soderbergh)

AncalagonTheBlack

• 1 month later...

So, what'd everyone think?

The moment Cliff Martinez's score kicked in as Thackeray was driven across 1900 New York City, my jaw dropped a bit -- totally mesmerized by the incongruity of the electronic music over scenes from the turn of the 20th century. The surgery stuff is a bit too much for my own tastes -- I can be squeamish -- but the basic shape of the story looks really, really interesting.

I'm hatefully bitter that I don't have Cinemax for the first time. This looks really intriguing from a subject matter perspective plus the people behind it.

Lol, right there with you.

Is it about experimental medicine, or depravity?

Just watched it. Very, very good. Strong cast, great visuals and score, and some good scenes of dialogue (despite said dialogue being oddly sparse). A couple of the characters seem a bit stock at first glance, but we'll see how that develops as they get screentime.

Is it about experimental medicine, or depravity?

It's definitely about experimental medicine, but also has the early signs of the social and political struggles needed to keep that medicine going. In those 'fight for development' themes it's giving me a faintly Deadwood vibe, though it's unveiled them a lot quicker than Deadwood did iirc.

Incredibly, it turns out that I do actually have Cinemax. So while I'm still quite interested in this show, perhaps the more compelling question is how a creature such as I could be so oblivious.

Will probably watch tonight or tomorrow!

:lmao: I still can't tell if I actually have it, but I can watch the show on demand.

So, what'd everyone think?

The moment Cliff Martinez's score kicked in as Thackeray was driven across 1900 New York City, my jaw dropped a bit -- totally mesmerized by the incongruity of the electronic music over scenes from the turn of the 20th century. The surgery stuff is a bit too much for my own tastes -- I can be squeamish -- but the basic shape of the story looks really, really interesting.

It was rather shocking, but I loved it. The blend off humor was a nice touch too. This is more intense than GoT, Nip Tuck, Dexter, etc. etc.

Haven't seen it yet, but Owen's character is based on Halsted (sp) who was pretty well the first surgeon to start using gloves regularly instead of just having the surgical staff wash their hands with carbolic soap beforehand. I'm looking forward to catching up on it, as aseptic techniques are part of my subject.

I feel like 2014 is a little late to be jumping in on the whole "male antihero" thing. Feels like I've seen this guy before. *yawn* The surgery stuff was cool though.

Yeah, the main character so far seems a lot like a 100 years younger version of House. That said, the first episode was good, but I don't know if I'll be around for the long run.

I liked it, sure there's a lot that has been done before, but the show might branch out in the next episodes. As to the comparison with House, as long as Sarcoidosis isn't mentioned as a possible cause for any and all problems, I can't see it. Sarcoidosis was crucial to House :p

I feel like 2014 is a little late to be jumping in on the whole "male antihero" thing. Feels like I've seen this guy before. *yawn* The surgery stuff was cool though.

I feel like we literally need a Hitler series for us to finally cycle through the antihero thing and get back to heroes.

All the Reich Moves, anyone?

Archived