Areo Hotah

Ser Hugh BuckweII

I don't have any specific suggestions however we know that they are looking for him to be black. What we also know is that unless his character is significantly changed he is a very introspective character, with most of his characterisation being internal. With an already packed location in Dorne I don't think we'll spend a lot of time (at least this season) exploring Areo's character. Instead he'll be the badass looking dude in the background - the audience waiting for him to do something awesome and when he does it will be a really cool moment. With that in mind I don't think we'll be getting an actor, but rather a martial artist or an athlete, like how they cast Bjornsson as The Mountain. Obviously some ability to act would be required especially if he gets more screen/page time in S6/TWOW. But I think his martial prowess will be the primary consideration so if anyone knows any black martial artists that's probably what we're looking at.

• 5 weeks later...

They're going to make him black? Why the change, isnt he white in the books?

This will be a tricky character to nail as from what i recall most of his dialogue is in his inner thoughts and he rarely actually speaks - seems his main basis is to give a POV in Dorne so we (the reader) know what's going on. Most of the time he just sits behind Prince Doran looking menacing

I agree with the above post, this doesnt require a well known or even established actor, just someone who can nail the physical capabilities (like the season 4 Mountain) required

Oh seriously.. I dislike this guy already..

Also, they got two guys from PotC-CotBP? Okay then.. xD

For fuck's sake, why didn't you just type out Pirates of the Carribean? I had no idea what you were babbling about for several minutes. Is typing so hard?

Victarian - He's white in the books, yeah. I hate it when they do this. I'm just as pissed off whenever black characters are played by white guys. It disrespects the intentions of the creator. I don't think it makes much difference in this case though, as Areo is a non-character. They could just as easily have had him played by an enormous block of wood.

All of these look pretty cool. Castle-Hughes as Obara is particularly cool.

In regards to Areo being black, I'm suprised to actually hear people be upset. Having someone who's a playwright in the role may give him a slight edge on the introspective nature of the character, and really the lack of opportunities for actors of color is so immense that I'm glad to see the change made.

In Britain it isn't that way. But there's a fair amount of tokenism that still goes on in TV regarding black characters because of the prevalence of PC, so people don't want to give them possibly negative character traits, meaning no character traits at all. A notable exception was Alisha from Misfits, who I love. The BBC has come under a fair amount of flak for filling whole episodes of different programmes, repeatedly, with mostly black or other minority extras, which is improbable in terms of proportional representation and thus could easily be seen to qualify as reverse discrimination. This doesn't apply to the US, though Hollywood is still filled with cliched ethnic stereotypes of the sort that colour-blind casting could easily get rid of. So I'm actually not unhappy about the colour of the guy playing Areo Hotah. He's playing a not especially defined character, so if he's a good enough actor he can give more dimension to the guy and thus improve on the Hotah of ASOIAF.

When I was reading AFFC I thought of Areo as black. No particular reason. Same with Salladhor Saan. And it wasn't the show because I wasn't watching it at the time.

I love the character and I'm glad he's in at all, regardless of the skin color of the actor playing him. They could have hired someone who looks purple and I'd still be happy. Areo Hotah rocks!

Isn't Salladhor Saan black in the novels? For some reason, I'd thought while reading that Thoros of Myr was maybe black, then found he wasn't, but what chiefly weirded me out with Thoros in the series was his northern accent, considering he comes of course from Myr.

Isn't Salladhor Saan black in the novels? For some reason, I'd thought while reading that Thoros of Myr was maybe black, then found he wasn't, but what chiefly weirded me out with Thoros in the series was his northern accent, considering he comes of course from Myr.

Salla is tanned. He's from Lys and Lyseni look Valyrian.

Archived