Did Aemon want Jon to join Robb?

nat655

Firstly, apologies if there has been a similar post along the re read but I have done a brief scour and cannot find anything.

So, currently re reading AGOT. And got to the Jon chapter where he is given longclaw by Mormont before meeting Maester Aemon in the rookery.

Aemon says: "I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it all the rest of your days. As I have... *whisper* as I have"

Now it doesn't take a genius to read the subtext here. Aemon regrets not going when the banners were called both the first and probably second times. But is he telling Jon to go? For all the advice and defence he offers Jon, seemingly foreseeing his rise to lord commander it strikes me as a bit odd that at the end of AGOT Aemon would be urging Jon to break his vows? Or have I misinterpreted this entirely?

IMHO I think Aemon wanted Jon to stay for the good of the NW but, he wanted him to want to (if that makes sense). Aemon doesn't regret his decision per se but, he probably has that awful "What if" singing in the back of his mind. I don't think he wants Jon to stay or go. He wants Jon to choose and live with that choice but, he also wants Jon to know that regardless his choice will weigh on him for the rest of his life.

I hope that helps!

Archived