Anyone else hoping that R+L=/= J?

King Chain

I would be ok if that isn't the case, but with all the foreshadowing leading up to it, it seems highly unlikely that R+L=/= J. I would accept an alternative parentage, though R+L is by far the most likely. That said, if he changes it from R+L just because some fans figured it out, I will lose a ton of respect for him as a writer. Basically, I'll be ok if we're just wrong, but not if George changes it because we figured it out.

I would be ok if that isn't the case, but with all the foreshadowing leading up to it, it seems highly unlikely that R+L=/= J. I would accept an alternative parentage, though R+L is by far the most likely. That said, if he changes it from R+L just because some fans figured it out, I will lose a ton of respect for him as a writer. Basically, I'll be ok if we're just wrong, but not if George changes it because we figured it out.

Does Martin not avoid the various forums these days precisely because of that? He doesn't want to end up changing too much just because the readers 'figured it out'. I don't think he'd change Jon's parentage - assuming R+L=J was/is the plan - just because the foreshadowing didn't go unnoticed. Especially as there will be more to it and connected to it, I reckon.

Dream on. I'm quite sure there are a few other delusional people who are with you.

Because I don't like how R+L=J is an "acccepted fact" and how there are at least 2 threads about this theory every day, and how I would think it would be funny if it turns out that it was incorrect, I'm delusional? Am I insane because I don't think Hodor is the father of Rickon, which is another theory?

I don't think it would be funny to see him destroy his life's work simply in order to spite his fans, no.

I'm not saying George should go back and not do R+L to spite his fans, but I am saying that if George actually intended for R+L not to be real, I would think it funny because most everyone accepts it like a fact, and those same people post about "How Jon will be king because he has the strongest claim!!! He'll marry Dany because Twilight! Happy ending!!"

Because I don't like how R+L=J is an "acccepted fact" and how there are at least 2 threads about this theory every day, and how I would think it would be funny if it turns out that it was incorrect, I'm delusional? Am I insane because I don't think Hodor is the father of Rickon, which is another theory?

Yes.

To be perfectly honest, when I first caught wind of the theory, I truly wanted R+L not to equal J. I didn't want to have already figured it out; I wanted there to be more to it than that. I spent a long time going through all the possibilities in my head seeing if there was some angle that could point to R+L=/=J.

But there's a reason why people on this forum treat it as an "accepted fact." The evidence is as overwhelming as it could be. I think the question isn't "Does R+L=J?", but "Should R+L=J be considered canon?"

I personally think the answer to both is yes, and I've never heard the Hodor is Rickon's father theory, but I'm sure it's probably up there with the "Ned is still alive" theories.

In short, hope that R+L=/=J is false hope. I'd rather hope for something that might actually happen.

Haha, you got me on that one :blushing:

Okay, I was a bit mean.

I honestly don't see the scenario in your OP happening. GRRM has stated that he will not change his story just because some may have figured out certain mysteries. The evidence for R+L=J is overwhelming yet, at the same time, far from obvious. R+L=J can be pieced together from AGoT alone, a book published in 1996. IMO, on forums like this one, the theory has become mundane leading some to believe that there must be something more. The truth is; this is it. Users of forums like this are the minority of the readership. I'm quite sure that the vast majority have not figured this one out.

Okay, I was a bit mean.

I honestly don't see the scenario in your OP happening. GRRM has stated that he will not change his story just because some may have figured out certain mysteries. The evidence for R+L=J is overwhelming yet, at the same time, far from obvious. R+L=J can be pieced together from AGoT alone, a book published in 1996. IMO, on forums like this one, the theory has become mundane leading some to believe that there must be something more. The truth is; this is it. Users of forums like this are the minority of the readership. I'm quite sure that the vast majority have not figured this one out.

This.

I did not read GoT until I had already watched something like 8 episodes of season 1 of the HBO show. As such, I was sort of speeding through the stuff that I felt like I already knew. I still read every word, but I didn't have the kind of discerning eye for reading GRRM's intricate style at that point, so like (I would guess) 90% of other readers, I did not piece together R+L=J on my own. Kudos to anyone that did, by the way.

R+L=J is old hat for us forum types, but the book series is also 18 years old, and I promise you, it's not old hat for people who read the books casually, like I did at first.

Really, at this point, I just want the damn 6th book out so that the debate can be dropped and we can move on with our discussions instead of endlessly arguing over whether it's true or not.

I think a better question really is whether Jon's actually a bastard or if he could be legitimate, and how that will affect the story going forward. There's just so many interesting things that could be discussed instead of people constantly attacking each other because they do or don't want something to be true.

It's even stranger that people just want it to not be true to 'show up' others. This isn't a sporting event, it's literature.

/yes, it's true

//not a fanatic

///just too much overwhelming evidence to think anything else at this point

Really, at this point, I just want the damn 6th book out so that the debate can be dropped and we can move on with our discussions instead of endlessly arguing over whether it's true or not.

I think a better question really is whether Jon's actually a bastard or if he could be legitimate, and how that will affect the story going forward. There's just so many interesting things that could be discussed instead of people constantly attacking each other because they do or don't want something to be true.

/yes, it's true

//not a fanatic

///just too much overwhelming evidence to think anything else at this point

:agree: . Did George actually say that we're going to meet Howland Reed?

:agree: . Did George actually say that we're going to meet Howland Reed?

Not that I know of. He did say that in the 6th book he was going to reveal the answer to the 'big mystery' that he had been setting up since the first book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAGknnoRio

Not hard to guess what that 'big mystery' is :) He also says that even though some people had figured it out by the second book, he decided to stick with what he wrote because he wants all of his clues to make sense in the end.

Actually, he did at one point:

"He will appear eventually" -GRRM

That was off of the Howland Reed page on the wiki

Thanks. I looked around and couldn't find it, appreciate the help ^^

Archived