Anyone else hoping that R+L=/= J?

King Chain

Does Howland know who Jon Snow's mother is?

The Shadow knows.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist. - AGOT Eddard X

Howland Reed will appear in TWOW, if not, in ADOS.

I think it is more meaningful if Jon really is Ned's boy. For both characters. I care a lot more about those two than Rhaegar and Lyanna.

I agree to an extent. I do care more about Ned & Jon than Rhaegar & Lyanna but I do want to hear R&L's full, true story whatever that may be.

I personally don't feel like it should matter if he's their bastard or not. But I'm not a fan of him throwing away the destiny he made himself follow as opposed to one that is forced upon him by his heritage. I hope R+L=J isn't true, mostly because I don't feel like it will, or should, make that much of a difference. But then again, I also am not a big fan of Dany. I used to be all for Robb, but now I'm rooting for Stannis or Aegon.

I personally don't feel like it should matter if he's their bastard or not. But I'm not a fan of him throwing away the destiny he made himself follow as opposed to one that is forced upon him by his heritage. I hope R+L=J isn't true, mostly because I don't feel like it will, or should, make that much of a difference. But then again, I also am not a big fan of Dany. I used to be all for Robb, but now I'm rooting for Stannis or Aegon.

To me, it looks like the destiny he chose and the destiny chosen for him have come to merge with one another. If indeed he is AAR/TPWWP because of his lineage, then it fits perfectly with what he chose for himself...being a man of the NW. Because of that, he has been perfectly positioned to be the one who leads humanity's fight against the Others...but he had to make it himself, it wasn't just thrust upon him. He had to make difficult choices and suffer through hardship to be in this position in the first place. And that's what makes him the perfect hand of destiny.

Yeah, sorry, but it is true. I do think it would be hilarious if we are all wrong, but we aren't. GRRM wouldn't do that to us. I think it will be revealed in WoW, because otherwise the show will get there first. And this has been set up for so long, I just can't see Martin letting the show spoil it for all of us.

Not that I know of. He did say that in the 6th book he was going to reveal the answer to the 'big mystery' that he had been setting up since the first book.

Not hard to guess what that 'big mystery' is :) He also says that even though some people had figured it out by the second book, he decided to stick with what he wrote because he wants all of his clues to make sense in the end.

I really hope the big mystery is that Hodor is a secret Clegane. I wouldn't put it past GRRM at this point to have it be where whores go ;)

Given how the universe works, I'd assume you have some company.

I'm aware of R+L=J and I do operate as if it is fact, but honestly I don't have an opinion positive or negative on it. I like Jon, I like Lyanna, I like Rhaegar, I like the title of this series. Putting those things together I don't have much of an opinion. I would be incredibly amused if Jon was actually never a bastard just because of how frequently it is brought up.

Even if Jon is the titular character, what does it do for him? I mean I think we all stopped believing he was dead for sure when G.R.R.M said "You think he's dead, do you?" during an interview and then we realize he has like six get out of death free cards. So post that, what does he have? Possibly a physical wreck, possibly less Jon than before, no real army.

If we were to place bets on who can get the IT at this point it's not looking like Jon. Personally as things stand it's looking like Aegon, even if I believe the unsullied are better than the golden company he has Varys on his side.

Planting all the hints and then not doing it would be poor storytelling. Fortunately, GRRM has stated that he won't change the story just because the fans have figured it out. Once he has fnished writing the books the online discussions don't matter anymore, anyway. People will just read them cover to cover without all that theorizing.

Well, no. I'm just hoping for a mind blowing twist. Like maybe Ashara Dayne is alive and she's raising Jon's twin sister somewhere. Incredibly unlikely but it's seems everything major about Rhaegar, Lyanna and the Tower has already been figured out. Shrug.

well i want R+L-J to be true.
but porberly not for the same reasons alot of others mite.
1 if its true im hoping we get a full account of what went down at the toj with the reveal of jons parentage that for me would be awesome.
2 i dont think its really going to be that big a game changer (dont get me wrong) i mean to jon himself.
sure hes going to go thoght some serious thoughts and soul sercing after all this major info.
but idk if it would really change him much.

unless for some reason he has to play a part as A/A or some other reason if theres not some reason that him being half stark/targ is important to the story i think he'll just go on being jon.

one other possible thing that mite make him diffrent when he gets this info is if his return to life has changed him in some way.
maybe he'll wake up and be a bad ass idk.

The mean girl inside me wants RLJ not being true only to see many people here jumping from cliffs and setting the board on fire.

:P

Dream on :P

Also:

Do you use to check the Internet forums in order to see the predictions made by your fans?

I am aware of the principal Internet forums about A Song of Ice and Fire and I really used to look at the American and English groups. Nowadays, the most important site is Westeros, but I started to feel uncomfortable and I thought it would be a better idea not to get to these sides. The fans use to come up with theories; lots of them are just speculative but some of them are in the right way. Before the Internet, one reader could guess the ending you wanna do for your novel, but the other 10.000 wouldn’t know anything and they would be surprised. However, now, those 10.000 people use the Internet and read the right theories. They say: “Oh God, the butler did it!”, to use an example of a mystery novel. Then, you think: “I have to change the ending! The maiden would be the criminal!” To my mind that way is a disaster because if you are doing well you work, the books are full of clues that point to the butler doing it and help you to figure up the butler did it, but if you change the ending to point the maiden, the clues make no sense anymore; they are wrong or are lies, and I am not a liar.

Have you ever change any of your ideas just because your fans got you?

I ultimately thought I don’t wanna change anything. What I have to remember is that if one person figures out the ending and 10.000 people read it, they will doubt and still, a 100.000 people won’t see the post on the Internet and they will be surprised. I have to say that for each correct theory on the Internet are at least 1.000 incorrect theories. People use to see shadows on the wall when there is nothing, but I am aware about that stuff. In fact, my wife Parris use to enter to those forums and apprises me if there is anything particularly important, but that’s it.

I prefer != , <> would be acceptable too

A programmer eh? Or possibly a mathematician, I suppose. Those fellers use all sorts of strange signs :P

Oh, and R+L = J. If it doesn't, and GRRM has somehow has it not being so make sense, I'll be perfectly happy with that. And to be honest, those are the only two scenarios I see (the former being by far the likelier in my mind). We're not going to get a hackish gotcha! change just because a minority has figured it out.

edit: what a terrible sentence, but I think it makes sense, if you read it a few times. Going to let it stay as is, as a lesson to myself

Archived