Characters that will possibly be cut

The King Of Cooked Steak

It looks like Dorne will be a major location next year but despite that I still suspect Arianne gets the chop. I imagine D&D won't care that Dorne has a different inheritance policy to the rest of Westeros - however interesting that is - so won't want to spend any time dwelling on that I feel. I think the Queenmaker plotline will pass instead to the Sand Snakes, perhaps in cahoots with Trystane - who could become a much more central and ambitious character. If he is indeed to be older (as prospective casting leaks suggest) then why would he not want his future bride (Myrcella) to claim the crown? If this was a scenario (obviously this is crazed speculation!) then Doran could still react angrily and imprison the Sand Snakes, even if ultimately making Myrcella queen is one of Doran's own plans - which he doesn't want pre-empted, in fear of drawing aggressive reaction from KL.

Obviously if Myrcella was to become Dorne's main power play in the Game of Thrones then this would mean (F)Aegon wasn't... I think if Arianne is cut then that is because Aegon gets cut too - meaning Aegon wouldn't be a major player in the series' final denouement. (And that means GRRM's, not just D&D's ... seeing as they know the endgame ... cutting Aegon would be a massive spoiler).

The Myrcella/Dorne storyline would gain extra importance once Jaime and Bronn were potentially brought into the picture too. There's little doubt in my mind that D&D are chiefly focused on the Lannisters and any story which brings them into play is instantly rendered more credible (in D&D's eyes!). Jaime could go to Dorne to check on little Myrcella to appease paranoid Cersei (after all they did 'make up' in the s4 finale - which riled me immensely, but hey ho, that's the way the show looks to be rolling with it, for now at least). Bronn might end up in a serious scuffle amidst foiling the Myrcella queenmaker plot (perhaps the desert 'fight' mooted in recent rumours, to be set in Spain?). Doran might well want to appear 'tough' on the Sand Snake(s) involved in trying to crown Myrcella, if only to convince Jaime that he himself is not party to such a conspiracy. Bronn might be key in finding out otherwise... OK, so I'm rambling/speculating wildly here, but as I think about how Dorne could play a major role in s5 I can't help but think that there are many ways to make them integral to the action - and likely the series' endgame - which don't actually involve Arianne or Aegon or, in all likelihood, Quentyn. (Indeed, if as some surmise, Quentyn's fate in Meereen is likely to anger Doran and alienate Dorne from Dany, then there is possibly even more reason for D&D to cut Quentyn).

I think Trystane will be a major character in Dorne and his relationship with Myrcella will be pronounced. It might be that she is torn between loyalty to Tommen and love for Trystane. Who knows where that might go...

Obviously if Aegon is cut then that's JonConn etc gone too. So what would Tyrion be doing? I reckon the boat trip will be scrapped (Tricky logistically and costly) and he will be dispatched to Dany in Meereen by Ilyrio and Varys and en route end up being abducted by Jorah - maybe something spurious like a bar brawl bringing the two together... They would be a fun double act for D&D to indulge in, as is their wont. They could be seized by slavers and taken to the siege of Meereen, pretty much as per book in terms of plot (but without Penny and Pig). Tyrion could still 'survive' Daznak's Pit (but not with Penny in tow) and I think Brown Ben Plumm will be cast and provide Tyrion with yet another sniping buddy double act. Tyrion outwitting Plumm and effectively taking over strategy for Plumm's mercenary militia could provide yet another showcase for Dinklage's politicking bravado. Lord knows what happens then... (well, I guess GRRM and D&D know the answers to that).

I imagine many of the Braavos characters will be cut... lots of Arya training with Jaqen (another sparring double act for D&D to indulge in), lots of temple work and 'assassination' practice.

No idea about The Vale... Has there been a sniff of casting spec for Harry the Heir? BWB still in play, but no LS. No siege at Riverrun - or at least no key focus.

As for the North - D&D have really dropped the ball on the Northern lords and the Wall, IMO. As pointed out up-thread, Stannis has the readies from Braavos to buy his army so doesn't need the Lords' support. (Though I doubt the show will resist the comic spectacle of Mark Gatiss trotting through blizzards in ridiculous headgear to speak with Stannis!) I can't see the Manderleys making the cut, (sadly). The key antagonists in the North have very much been set up as the Boltons and if (F)Arya is deployed (please, please, please) then Jon will be established as the chief potential adversary for Ramsey (with Stannis v Roose) - with all its obvious consequences. I desperately want the Ghost of Winterfell scenes to play out on-screen and for Theon to have his redemptive moment rescuing (F)Arya (doesn't matter in the show if she is Jeyne Poole or not - a vague lookalike will do). I also want Theon's prayer in the Weirwood and his reunion with Asha (Yara). But I won't get my hopes up just yet. The key battle of Winterfell won't revolve around major conspiracies or betrayals but will focus on a handful of pre-established personalities - the Boltons, a few random and not especially delineated bannermen, Stannis and his men and eventually/potentially Jon.

As for the Wall, Tormund will be a major character, and Mance and Melissandre.... Sam for a while (bet he leaves with Aemon and Gilly but no baby-swap)... Jon will be made to look increasingly friendless (even more so once Stannis etc leaves) so I bet no Val either. Ser Alliser will literally stick the knife in.

As for the Iron Islands.... absolutely no idea. Casting will depend upon what D&D know of the rest of GRRM's story.

Obviously all very wild and longwinded speculation! Apologies for length...

It looks like Dorne will be a major location next year but despite that I still suspect Arianne gets the chop. I imagine D&D won't care that Dorne has a different inheritance policy to the rest of Westeros - however interesting that is - so won't want to spend any time dwelling on that I feel. I think the Queenmaker plotline will pass instead to the Sand Snakes, perhaps in cahoots with Trystane - who could become a much more central and ambitious character. If he is indeed to be older (as prospective casting leaks suggest) then why would he not want his future bride (Myrcella) to claim the crown? If this was a scenario (obviously this is crazed speculation!) then Doran could still react angrily and imprison the Sand Snakes, even if ultimately making Myrcella queen is one of Doran's own plans - which he doesn't want pre-empted, in fear of drawing aggressive reaction from KL.

Obviously if Myrcella was to become Dorne's main power play in the Game of Thrones then this would mean (F)Aegon wasn't... I think if Arianne is cut then that is because Aegon gets cut too - meaning Aegon wouldn't be a major player in the series' final denouement. (And that means GRRM's, not just D&D's ... seeing as they know the endgame ... cutting Aegon would be a massive spoiler).

The Myrcella/Dorne storyline would gain extra importance once Jaime and Bronn were potentially brought into the picture too. There's little doubt in my mind that D&D are chiefly focused on the Lannisters and any story which brings them into play is instantly rendered more credible (in D&D's eyes!). Jaime could go to Dorne to check on little Myrcella to appease paranoid Cersei (after all they did 'make up' in the s4 finale - which riled me immensely, but hey ho, that's the way the show looks to be rolling with it, for now at least). Bronn might end up in a serious scuffle amidst foiling the Myrcella queenmaker plot (perhaps the desert 'fight' mooted in recent rumours, to be set in Spain?). Doran might well want to appear 'tough' on the Sand Snake(s) involved in trying to crown Myrcella, if only to convince Jaime that he himself is not party to such a conspiracy. Bronn might be key in finding out otherwise... OK, so I'm rambling/speculating wildly here, but as I think about how Dorne could play a major role in s5 I can't help but think that there are many ways to make them integral to the action - and likely the series' endgame - which don't actually involve Arianne or Aegon or, in all likelihood, Quentyn. (Indeed, if as some surmise, Quentyn's fate in Meereen is likely to anger Doran and alienate Dorne from Dany, then there is possibly even more reason for D&D to cut Quentyn).

I think Trystane will be a major character in Dorne and his relationship with Myrcella will be pronounced. It might be that she is torn between loyalty to Tommen and love for Trystane. Who knows where that might go...

Obviously if Aegon is cut then that's JonConn etc gone too. So what would Tyrion be doing? I reckon the boat trip will be scrapped (Tricky logistically and costly) and he will be dispatched to Dany in Meereen by Ilyrio and Varys and en route end up being abducted by Jorah - maybe something spurious like a bar brawl bringing the two together... They would be a fun double act for D&D to indulge in, as is their wont. They could be seized by slavers and taken to the siege of Meereen, pretty much as per book in terms of plot (but without Penny and Pig). Tyrion could still 'survive' Daznak's Pit (but not with Penny in tow) and I think Brown Ben Plumm will be cast and provide Tyrion with yet another sniping buddy double act. Tyrion outwitting Plumm and effectively taking over strategy for Plumm's mercenary militia could provide yet another showcase for Dinklage's politicking bravado. Lord knows what happens then... (well, I guess GRRM and D&D know the answers to that).

Dorne's power play in the preliminary stages was placing Myrcella on the Iron Throne. At this point in the story, they don't know about Aegon (I'm in the camp that he's legit). At least for now, he has nothing to do with Dorne.

Aegon is Varys' power play. Suspicion that Arianne is cut (I think she's still in) and Myrcella's 'bigger' role is not evidence that Aegon or Connington will be cut.

I imagine many of the Braavos characters will be cut... lots of Arya training with Jaqen (another sparring double act for D&D to indulge in), lots of temple work and 'assassination' practice.

No idea about The Vale... Has there been a sniff of casting spec for Harry the Heir? BWB still in play, but no LS. No siege at Riverrun - or at least no key focus.

As for the North - D&D have really dropped the ball on the Northern lords and the Wall, IMO. As pointed out up-thread, Stannis has the readies from Braavos to buy his army so doesn't need the Lords' support. (Though I doubt the show will resist the comic spectacle of Mark Gatiss trotting through blizzards in ridiculous headgear to speak with Stannis!) I can't see the Manderleys making the cut, (sadly). The key antagonists in the North have very much been set up as the Boltons and if (F)Arya is deployed (please, please, please) then Jon will be established as the chief potential adversary for Ramsey (with Stannis v Roose) - with all its obvious consequences. I desperately want the Ghost of Winterfell scenes to play out on-screen and for Theon to have his redemptive moment rescuing (F)Arya (doesn't matter in the show if she is Jeyne Poole or not - a vague lookalike will do). I also want Theon's prayer in the Weirwood and his reunion with Asha (Yara). But I won't get my hopes up just yet. The key battle of Winterfell won't revolve around major conspiracies or betrayals but will focus on a handful of pre-established personalities - the Boltons, a few random and not especially delineated bannermen, Stannis and his men and eventually/potentially Jon.

As for the Wall, Tormund will be a major character, and Mance and Melissandre.... Sam for a while (bet he leaves with Aemon and Gilly but no baby-swap)... Jon will be made to look increasingly friendless (even more so once Stannis etc leaves) so I bet no Val either. Ser Alliser will literally stick the knife in.

As for the Iron Islands.... absolutely no idea. Casting will depend upon what D&D know of the rest of GRRM's story.

Obviously all very wild and longwinded speculation! Apologies for length...

I reckon all of that is gonna be pretty close to what happens. And is mostly how I would see it 'going down.' No Brown Ben though. I think Tyrion and Jorah will be a fine double act.

So you think Varys supports Dany? What causes Varys to separate from Tyrion?

I wondered if Dario could merge with Plumm, but Dario knows Jorah so probably not. If Tyrion and Joran interact with mercenaries, my guess is that it would be mercenaries from Dario's company rather than introducing a new company. More interesting to flesh out Dario's company than to meet a new group.

In 4x10, I thought it made sense that Cersei made up with Jaime. She'd just gone into open rebellion against Tywin and was feeling vulnerable. She wanted to have Jaime on her side, so she told him what he wanted to hear. She did this earlier in the season to try to manipulate Tyrion's three judges. Nothing has really changed between Jaime and Cersei, and Jaime will realize she wasn't being honest as soon as Tywin is dead and she doesn't feel like she needs Jaime.

Book readers complain a lot about the show stripping out a lot of the book's nuance, but then when the show does something with an ounce of nuance, like Cersei lying to manipulate people to achieve her goals, it is very confusing to the audience. Characters lying on screen is tricky to pull off, especially with limited screen time per character.

So you think Varys supports Dany? What causes Varys to separate from Tyrion?

I wondered if Dario could merge with Plumm, but Dario knows Jorah so probably not. If Tyrion and Joran interact with mercenaries, my guess is that it would be mercenaries from Dario's company rather than introducing a new company. More interesting to flesh out Dario's company than to meet a new group.

In 4x10, I thought it made sense that Cersei made up with Jaime. She'd just gone into open rebellion against Tywin and was feeling vulnerable. She wanted to have Jaime on her side, so she told him what he wanted to hear. She did this earlier in the season to try to manipulate Tyrion's three judges. Nothing has really changed between Jaime and Cersei, and Jaime will realize she wasn't being honest as soon as Tywin is dead and she doesn't feel like she needs Jaime.

Book readers complain a lot about the show stripping out a lot of the book's nuance, but then when the show does something with an ounce of nuance, like Cersei lying to manipulate people to achieve her goals, it is very confusing to the audience. Characters lying on screen is tricky to pull off, especially with limited screen time per character.

- Book-Varys appears to support Aegon, but if Aegon is cut from the TV show then I can see the writers switching his allegiance to Dany instead - though how fervent that support would be... who knows? He clearly keeps tabs on Dany. She is part of the wider game. And he is seen to have a covert meeting with Ilyrio in s1. Even with Varys advocating Dany's death to Robert in s1 I've no doubt he could be shown by D&D to be a Targ-supporter all along if necessary, despite contradictory behavior. (Indeed, his contrariness was on full display when he dissed Tyrion during his trial and then helped to set him free). No idea how Tyrion and Varys would separate... I can more imagine Tyrion being separated by being taken by Jorah due to a chance encounter (similar to the book, of course).

- I also wondered about a Daario/Ben Plumm convergence, and also concluded that Jorah was a sticking point.

- The Cersei/Jamie seduction scene annoyed me because - as a book-reader obviously - I really liked the idea of Jamie coming to see, bit by bit, that Cersei was toxic. However, if I push those feelings aside, I agree that it made sense for Show-Cersei's character development at that point in the action - most particularly after alienating her father. And of course, as you point out, there is the very real possibility that Cersei/Jamie will fall apart post-Tywin. I also wonder though if their rekindling is nicely setting up Jamie's s5 arc; his trip to Dorne. A mission to both protect his daughter's interests and keep Cersei sweet. That would likely mean a major reconfiguring (or even elimination) of the Riverlands plot points from AFFC/ADWD.

- (Bit OT here, sorry)... You are right that lying is harder to portray on TV as we don't have access to a character's interior life (unless voiceover is used). Thoughts and feelings generally have to be vocalised and action speaks even louder than words. The show hasn't always done that well with 'nuance', IMO. I'm not dissing it out of hand here, as in many other respects the show has offered up sequences of well-orchestrated spectacle and some excellent character interplay. But D&D have struggled sometimes, I think, with revealing character motive (they aren't alone amongst tv/film writers in this, obviously) - for example, LIttlefinger's speech in s1 ep7 in the brothel explaining his past feelings for Cat etc was very crass and heavyhanded, and the show has never truly succeeded in bringing Jon Snow to life on-screen - despite having Sam and Ygritte to interact with at times - as his book-character is very much 'in his head' and he's not the chattiest chap.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry I meant Golden Company not Goldcloaks. Oops.

If the show wants to skip Aegon, Quentyn, and Arienne, the Dornish set up could be: Robert wins the war, Dornish are unhappy but there is nothing they can do about it at the time. Doran plots with Varys, Illyrio, and the Golden Company to take back the kingdom at some point when the time is ripe, and Doran quietly grooms his son Trystane to be the eventual king. Varys and Illyrio try to keep Kings Landing's paranoia focused on Dany so that Dorne stays under the radar. In season 5, Varys takes Tyrion to fetch the Golden Company together while Doran tries to keep control of the sand snakes so they don't blow his surprise invasion by doing something stupid with Myrcella. Eventually Doran regains control, the Golden Company arrives with Varys and without Tyrion, and the Dornish attack.

The show has possibly slightly set-up a Varys - Dornish alliance. Varys was awfully happy after Tyrion outed Pycelle by promising Myrcella to Dorne - perhaps some of his glee was related to Tyrion giving his allies the Dornish a trump card. And Varys and Oberyn sounded each other out in season 4 - possibly as people who knew they were allies but who hadn't properly met before.

I think Aegon will be cast more likely than not. The show is really quite faithful to the books. But I think within the realm of the show universe, where there are no Blackfyres, there is no reason that Trystane couldn't be Varys' plan.

That means no DoD2, which is probably a major TWOW plot point.

• 2 weeks later...

I desperately hope Wyman Manderely isn't cut. He has some great lines and I think a lot of the events around him have a large "revenge for the Starks" feeling which after 4 seasons of Stark misery seems like something that'd be good TV.

Something that I noticed in AFFC and ADwD is the general feeling in the North, how many families with affected by The Red Wedding and how much loyalty there was for the Starks. There's this underlying sense that Roose is on very shaky ground.

As long as that's conveyed then I guess I'd be happy even if they do cut Manderley.

There are a few characters who I wouldn't be unhappy to see cut, however I will be really annoyed if some of the bigger new characters are cut. Jon Connington, despite not being mentioned previously in the show, has just got to be in if they are going through to the Aegon storyline. I don't think I would be too sad if they cut or consolidated some of Aegon's other crew, like they could cut Yandry and Ysilla and have the Shy Maid captained by Connington, they could probably cut Duck as well and I wouldn't be that mad. But Aegon, Connington, Haldon and Lemore would work fine for me.

Highly doubt that all the Northern Lords are going to be kept, but if Manderly goes I'll be pissed. He's such an awesome character and White Harbour is so important for the North, it would be a real shame if he got cut. I think the most we can hope for is a couple of characters to represent the major houses that have already been introduced from the North. The Mormont's have been quite involved so Alysane and Maege may yet survive the cut. The Karstarks have been involved enough that Arnolf may be involved (though I doubt they'll include much more to his story than the idea of him being a Bolton loyalist). Galbart Glover and Mors Umber, maybe mentioned or in the background but not involved characters. More there to make up the numbers when Stannis is joined by the Northern Lords. Inside Winterfell, I doubt there is much hope for the Stouts, the Ryswells or Whoresbane, but I hope Manderly and Lady Dustin make the cut. Even if she isn't mentioned by name, her conversations with Reek/Theon are really interesting and offer an outside eye and context to the whole Manderly, pie situation.

Lots of cuts in Essos I think will be unsurprising. Especially around Dany. Yezzan has been cast, which is good, even though the actor looks nothing like how the character is described (but thats none of my business...). I don't think we'll see much of the pit fighters, it wouldn't surprise me if they leave out the connection between Hizdar and the pit fighters, leave out that storyline altogether and focus on the Harpies killing people and Dany trying to get peace in the city.

I'm of the opinion that if Arianne is cut, it's because they're going to distribute her characteristics between Trystane, the Sand Snakes and possibly Ellaria. Also, I imagine they want to give Myrcella much more agency in the plot surrounding her, which frankly would be awesome. I was left a little wanting by her under use in aFFC.

• 3 weeks later...

If they kill off Bronn at the hands of Areo Hotah i'm pretty sure most fans of the show (including me) will forever hate Areo Hotah.

In the books it showed his prowess with an axe, killing off a mostly unknown character, if they use him to eliminate an established character like Bronn i think it will cloud peoples opinion of him (and the Dornish)

Not saying Bronn is a 'good guy' - but he is liked!

If they kill off Bronn at the hands of Areo Hotah i'm pretty sure most fans of the show (including me) will forever hate Areo Hotah.

In the books it showed his prowess with an axe, killing off a mostly unknown character, if they use him to eliminate an established character like Bronn i think it will cloud peoples opinion of him (and the Dornish)

Not saying Bronn is a 'good guy' - but he is liked!

And of course claims of racism once again. A black guy killing a well-loved white guy.

Btw, if GOT is an adaptation and not fanfic (which I'm starting to doubt), then they can't kill Bronn, he has to take over Stokeworth.

And of course claims of racism once again. A black guy killing a well-loved white guy.

Btw, if GOT is an adaptation and not fanfic (which I'm starting to doubt), then they can't kill Bronn, he has to take over Stokeworth.

after season 4, it shouldn't be called an adaption anymore (imo).

after season 4, it shouldn't be called an adaption anymore (imo).

That's an interesting sentiment. Adaptation of long novels to the visual medium inherently require pairing down.

Would you consider the LOTR movies an adaptation? No Tom Bombadil, no Beregond and Bergil, no Dol Amroth force at Minas Tirith, Arwen's character romanticized and played up, no scouring of the Shire, all of Elrond's kids rolled up into Arwen or himself, overly exaggerated roles of Pippin and Merry in the Battle at the Black gate....the list goes on and on. And yet this is quite possibly one of the best adaptations of fantasy novels that we've seen.

This is because different mediums require different narrative elements. Don't get me started on HP, but those movies are undeniably adaptations. GoT is actually a fairly close adaptation given their budgetary and time constraints. But because they invented material to create more character buy-in for Yara and Bran, or made up a rejoiner for Loras at the Purple Wedding we should throw up our hands and declare it some sort of bastardization of Martin's work?

I love Arianne; she's my second favorite character. I love the Griffs, whose inclusions will be dubious at best. But I understand that everything I love in the books simply cannot make it to the TV. This is the version we're getting, and it's also the version that's likely going to take us to the end of the story first. So rather than bemoaning all changes and lost characters, maybe we should just strap in for what's likely to be a very interesting ride.

Archived