your ASOIAF books ranking

NorthRememberz

1. A Clash of Kings

2. A Game of Thrones

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Dance With Dragons

5. A Feast for Crows

AFFC is my bottom one, but I just finished a re-read and found I liked it more than the first time I read it. I think it improves as more books come out and I can see how AFFC fits into the series more. With that said, there were still chapters that I felt were dull and made the book drag. However, the final POV chapters for Cersei, Jamie, and especially Arianne are great.

I find that the first three are really hard to rank because while my favorite chapter overall is in aCoK (HotU chapter), my second favorite character, Dany, is given less to do, but my favorite character, Tyrion, is given tons to do. aGoT will always be pretty spectacular. The second half of aSoS is so good that it almost gets #1 just because of that alone, but there are moments I disliked as well.

1. A Storm of Swords - Still the best, after all these years.

2. A Game of Thrones - I have one or two quibbles with GRRM's writing here, but this is still one of the strongest novels in the series, and with the most concentrated and coherent plot, before the epic sprawl fully set in.

3. A Feast for Crows - The most controversial book in the series, based on the rankings, but I'm a big fan. Slower than the preceding novels, most definitely, but I think the key character work and worldbuilding work very well, and unlike its successor novel, it feels like a whole book.

4. A Clash of Kings - This and AFFC are probably about even, honestly.

5. A Dance with Dragons - Has many extremely strong sequences, including pretty much the entire Northern plot, but the book is a complete mess, structurally. The idea of splitting the POVs by region makes sense, but Martin randomly discards that about 2/3 of the way through in order to bring in a bunch of one- or two-chapter POVs from people who were in AFFC, and then cuts off before the ending. The various character threads are now in wildly different places, temporally, as we wait for the sixth book.

1. Storm of Swords

2. Dance with Dragons

3. Feast for Crows

4. Clash of Kings

5. Game of Thrones

Despite the structural issues of FFC and DWD, context-wise I find the storylines going on in both to be a hell of a lot more genuinely interesting and engaging than those in GOT and COK. Not to say the latter two aren't fine on their own, because they most certainly are, but for me there's just no comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

1. A Clash of Kings

2. A Game of Thrones

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Dance With Dragons

5. A Feast for Crows

AFFC is my bottom one, but I just finished a re-read and found I liked it more than the first time I read it. I think it improves as more books come out and I can see how AFFC fits into the series more. With that said, there were still chapters that I felt were dull and made the book drag. However, the final POV chapters for Cersei, Jamie, and especially Arianne are great.

I find that the first three are really hard to rank because while my favorite chapter overall is in aCoK (HotU chapter), my second favorite character, Dany, is given less to do, but my favorite character, Tyrion, is given tons to do. aGoT will always be pretty spectacular. The second half of aSoS is so good that it almost gets #1 just because of that alone, but there are moments I disliked as well.

I'm currently re-reading AFFC and I definitely agree that it is better on a second read, especially when you're more familiar with the Martells and Ironborn.

ETA: In fact now that I'm almost through with my reread I have to say that I have really enjoyed AFFC the 2nd time through. It is still arguably at the bottom of my list, but I've found it to be a lot more entertaining than on the first read.

1. Storm of Swords

2. Dance with Dragons

3. Feast for Crows

4. Clash of Kings

5. Game of Thrones

Despite the structural issues of FFC and DWD, context-wise I find the storylines going on in both to be a hell of a lot more genuinely interesting and engaging than those in GOT and COK. Not to say the latter two aren't fine on their own, because they most certainly are, but for me there's just no comparison.

Yep. Exactly the order that I was going to post. I'm glad there's a kindred spirit out there!

For me Dance and Feast are pretty close. Dance takes the 2 spot for me on the strength of the Theon chapters. But I really don't get all the Feast hate I see on these boards. It's a phenomenal book. Brienne's and Jaime's chapters in particular are awesome. I love Sam's, too.

Archived