Tom Wlashiha (Jaqen) returning

BlackTalon

Maybe Jaqen is like to Arya what Harry was to Dexter? When Arya begins training in Bravos he comes back sort of like a ghost in her mind during her beginning stages of training to become a faceless woman? Which is a way to possibly remind viewers that Jaqen is still out there and when we see him next with his face that he changed into last (possibly killing Balon, or Pate in Oldtown) will not come as a shock to show only viewers?

Exactly this seems unbelievably sloppy to me. What is the point of saying "Jaqen is no more" and changing his face, if he is just going to reappear with the same face? I'm not understanding this at all.

Maybe make Arya feel more comfortable with the transition to a FM. I am in favor of the idea.

There's this recent post from poster soppster91 in another thread, but I think it belongs here:

Today it was announced here in Germany, that Tom Wlashiha ( the Actor who portrays Ja´qen Hgar) will be recast for Season 5 in a mayor role and will appear in at least 6 Episodes. That pretty much means that he will replace the Kindly Man, doesn´t it? Another possibility would be for him to stay book canon but with his "old face" and play a role in Oldtown, though I highly doubt that they will not go for the Arya&Ja´qen Reunion.

Six episodes? Sounds like a KM replacement to me.

Yeah, if Arya is only in 7 or 8, KM could definitely only appear in 6.

At the same time, if he kills Balon & Pate, each of those could easily be 3 episodes (depending on how in depth they go with Balon). Stil, at 6 it seems KM is more likely.

At the same time, if he kills Balon & Pate, each of those could easily be 3 episodes (depending on how in depth they go with Balon). Stil, at 6 it seems KM is more likely.

Killing Balon taking 3 episodes? You're kidding, right?

Killing Balon taking 3 episodes? You're kidding, right?

End of episode 1, one of the final scenes, Balon isn't dead, we get Jaqen infiltrating Pyke.

Episode 2, he kills Balon.

Episode 3, we get Jaqen getting the fuck out of Pyke.

Episode 6 we get Jaqen in Oldtown. etc.

End of episode 1, one of the final scenes, Balon isn't dead, we get Jaqen infiltrating Pyke.

Episode 2, he kills Balon.

Episode 3, we get Jaqen getting the fuck out of Pyke.

Episode 6 we get Jaqen in Oldtown. etc.

No way. If we get to see Baln's death at all it will be one single scene in a single episode.

Regarding the kindly man: A big problem is the fact that he is not just Arya's teacher, but also the boss of the Temple. I think Jaqen is just too young for that to play the role credibly. We may get a nameless extra for the kindly man with just a few lines and Jaqen will be Arya's mentor, similar to how in "Nikita" Tcheky Karyo was charged with being her mentor, but not the boss of the secret service.

No way. If we get to see Baln's death at all it will be one single scene in a single episode.

Maybe, but why? Balon's death happens "off camera" in the books, so it's not like there's something to faithfully adapt here. Hell, we don't even know for sure he was murdered, it's just inferred (rightfully so IMO) from a vision. If they do show his death, though, and reveal that it was a Faceless Man, then it's essentially original material. Why not flesh it out? Would be pretty random to just have Jaqen randomly show up on a bridge, kill Balon, and then disappear again. And if its not Jaqen, wouldn't even necessarily be clear it was a Faceless Man who was the assassin, unless they did some cheesy reveal or had the person who hired the assassin admit to it on screen elsewhere.

Like I said earlier, if he's in 6 episodes I think it's likely he's in Braavos with Arya to give the viewer another familiar face with her. But there's definitely possibility there for them to do a parallel thing where we see Arya training in Braavos and Jaqen putting that same training to work in Westeros. There's plenty of room for it around Balon's death & with Pate

Maybe, but why?

I'd like to see it the way you described, but what I meant is there is no way they can find the time for such an elaborate setup. Everybody - including D&D themselves I am sure - is already wondering if tehy can finish the story in seven seasons, and like you said Balon's death wasn't even "truly" described in the books.

I'd like to see it the way you described, but what I meant is there is no way they can find the time for such an elaborate setup. Everybody - including D&D themselves I am sure - is already wondering if tehy can finish the story in seven seasons, and like you said Balon's death wasn't even "truly" described in the books.

Ah, that's a fair point. I have a feeling this season is going to look very different from the books though, and am guessing the focus will remain primarily on the Starks, Lannisters, and Dany, with a little Stannis on the side. Purist heads will explode, no doubt, but I think we'll probably see a lot of cutting of material, though to be fair to D&D, a lot of what ends up getting cut probably wasn't even in the 1st draft (with the 5 year gap) anyway.

edit:

Seems contradictory then to think they might expand Jaqen's plot but not if you consider it tied to Arya, as a sort of characterization by extension.

Still, you're right, most likely scenario is he's in Braavos. I'm not complaining, I love the character and actor.

Smart move on their part. As has been said, he was popular and they have one less character to introduce (and spare themselves having to repeat the exposition on the FM). Only downside I see is that Arya being "all alone in the world" won't come across as well. Then again, IMO they conveyed that well enough in S4 and I think they can do that in S5 with stuff like Arya being thrown out into the streets, lots of unfamiliar sights in quick montage and her turning back to find the door closed (or somesuch) easily enough. Sure, there's a difference between "belonging" to cult of killers who are strangers and having a known killer who is friendly on the surface back at HQ (though I'd be hard pressed to describe exactly what that difference is.) But then again, without interior monologue the nuances are likely to get lost anyway. Which is to say, even if the KM was someone else, there's no guarantee their relationship would be exactly like in the books and thus it remains to be seen, what, if anything, will be lost here.

I don't know where this Balon / Jaqen things comes from, there is only a hint in the books of an assassin , and that assassin need not be a FM , or a particular FM.

In fact it seems as if Balon may really have died in an accident.

Regarding the kindly man: A big problem is the fact that he is not just Arya's teacher, but also the boss of the Temple. I think Jaqen is just too young for that to play the role credibly. We may get a nameless extra for the kindly man with just a few lines and Jaqen will be Arya's mentor, similar to how in "Nikita" Tcheky Karyo was charged with being her mentor, but not the boss of the secret service.

Actually , in the books, we never find out if he is really in charge of the House of Black and White, the KM seems some kind of Zen Master instructor.

In fact in the books seems the only 'full time' Faceless persons in the House of Black and White are The Kindly Man and the Waif , there are acolytes about, we never seem to really meet any of them, and it seems, that a full FM 'priest' comes by sometimes as 'tour guides'.

When we do meet a set of FM Guild members they don't seem to live at the House of Black and White, we don't know how many are on the road.

By the books whenever Arya is staying at the House of Black and White she seems to have only the KM, the Waif (who are FM) and the cook (who is not , supposedly, a FM) to interact with, except for random people coming in ... and acolytes (who doesn't seem to interact with)...except for one scene it's going to be a small cast there.

I don't know where this Balon / Jaqen things comes from, there is only a hint in the books of an assassin , and that assassin need not be a FM , or a particular FM.

It's a pretty good hint, and the person who paid for it.

Actually, the High Heart's vision is specifically of a man without a face...the vision might be wrong, but it points pretty clearly to a faceless man if it is an assassination. Point being, if they're going to show a FM killing Balon, Jaqen makes more sense than rando other FM

It's a pretty good hint, and the person who paid for it.

It's a pretty VAUGUE hint, and nothing really explicit about Balon's death is on the page , except he fell off a bridge during a storm.

Archived