Your favorite character TV/Book ? Why

lancelot97

Tyrion's my favorite but I really want to see Dany ride into KL dragonback and set things straight.

Both in the books and the show, Tyrion has the best dialogue and it's not even close. But Dany has a fantastically epic story with mythic elements out the yazoo. That story demands a dramatic wind-up: I wouldn't be surprised if she perishes in flames, but if she does it will be the climax of the story. I would be beyond shocked if Dany dies prior to the last 1/4 of the last book.

After the show's portrayal it's the Hound, hands down.

From the books it was Robb, then Tyrion and Jon. Jon has faded on me over time. Tyrion had shifted but is still probably #1. I actually have begun appreciating the newer Jaime more and more. Not sure what to make of that. Dany feel off hard in ADWD. Still very much like Arya. Brienne is another that the show improved greatly. I like Brienne.

You really have to hand it to Rory McCann. The Hound's an interesting character in the books, but not in my top 10. In the show, he's right up there with the most interesting characters.

Damn shame they didn't even try to get an Emmy nod for him this year. He richly deserves a nomination (although I'll be shocked if Dinklage doesn't walk away with it).

You really have to hand it to Rory McCann. The Hound's an interesting character in the books, but not in my top 10. In the show, he's right up there with the most interesting characters.

Damn shame they didn't even try to get an Emmy nod for him this year. He richly deserves a nomination (although I'll be shocked if Dinklage doesn't walk away with it).

The Hound (book) was just another character for me. Season 4 was just nailed completely by McCann. They did him an injustice not pushing his name more on the Emmy side, I agree.

I have a bunch of favourite characters and the order of them changes daily, but my absolutely most favourites will always be:

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Stannis Baratheon

3. Jaime Lannister

4. Theon Greyjoy

(3.&4. sometimes change)

Others on my Top-10-list: (5.-10., but in no particular order)

- Jon Snow

- Asha Greyjoy

- Brienne of Tarth

- Roose Bolton

- Ned Stark

- Oberyn Martell

(And rather small characters I love:

- Wyman Manderly

- Rodrik Harlaw

- Justin Massey

- Tormund Giantsbane)

Don't care if in the books or on the show, I always love them!

(So far, I had actually much luck with my favs, or my favs just had much luck; besides Ned and Oberyn they are all still alive... Although I know that TWOW will change this :( Roose's death is the only one of them I'd (happily) accept, but I want to enjoy him as long as he lives, and gets a showdown with Stannis.)

Oh, and about "why", well, ...

... Stannis and Jaime and Theon are all wonderfully grey; have the best developments, IMO; they are learning and changing, which I adore and have exciting and interesting arcs; I love their flaws actually maybe even more than their talents/qualities; I find them incredible complex and well-written; they grew on me with every book; they remind me of people in Real Life; maybe the most important aspect:

I can understand them and their behavior. Maybe not understand as in "I'd do the same if I were in their shoes", but as in "I see where you/it comes from". I understand their personalities and past, the struggles with their families, identities, duties, wishes, rises and falls, aso. and the very different conflicts in all of them. The choices they made/make and the things they have done/do are all realistic for me and I really see their problems and love so much how they and their storylines developed through every book; I love that these characters got their losses and defeats and low points (with Blackwater, Hand, Reek), and that they experience ups and downs; have realizations and have actually all to decide at some point "What kind of man/king do I want to be?". And the "range" isn't that large for them since they have limits given (by others, their power, their past, the circumstances, even by themselves), but become all, somehow, each in his own way, better men; they were, are and will always be fantastic book-characters!

I could really, really write thousand of sentences about each character, but these are things I love about them which they have in common. Plus: Dillane, Coster-Waldau and Allen are absolutely brilliant!

... and to Davos... he's Davos!

/end

(Okay, the "why": I can't believe how somebody could not love, or at least like, Davos. I love everything about him: His POV, his chapters, his past and how he became a knight/lord/hand, his whole story from being born in Flea Bottom to the siege-rescue to now; his honesty, his honor, his bravery, his undying loyalty to Stannis and love for his family, he's so ordinary and humble, honest and caring and so damn refreshing in this story full of schemers, liars and murderers. He understands people more than anyone, he wants to do the good, but sees himself and everyone as grey and just imperfect human, he's really clever and intelligent and does everything to become/be a good Hand. His honesty and loyalty are his biggest qualities, but maybe also biggest flaws; he constantly says the truth even it's hard or it brings him in danger; is the opposite of a Yes Man, he believes in Stannis, his cause and his justice, fights for him, serves him, even goes to a place full of Freys and cunning Northmen or now cannibals for him; he complements his king; he knows his limits and sees his mistakes or failures. He's a family-man, he really understands his king and can speak with the king's voice, he knows that he has to save Stannis sometimes from himself. He's honest as Ned was, but he also knows all the dodges. He's a realist, can be passionate, but at the same time very reasonable, he survives against all odds, every time; he isn't naive, he can be badass and sly and set against orders when he wants to do the right thing; he was once a criminal and knows the world's bad and darkness and evilness; people like LF climb the ladder by scheming and with murders and intrigues, he did it with service, honesty and loyalty. Almost nobody in Westeros will ever recognize it, but his doing and deeds changed so many things already and put so much in effect. He stands up against people like Mel or Freys, he grows more and more in his position as nobleman and Hand. And one of the most important things: He'll never ever forget where he came from, what he owns Stannis and will always be thankful. He will always remember that he was once a smuggler from Flea Bottom, never saw himself as a knight, will maybe never see himself as a lord, but really began to see himself as the king's Hand and knows his duties as that. And he always kept the finger joints as a reminder of his origins, but also Stannis' justice. He's a true hero, IMO, in ASOIAF and I can't not love him!)

In no particular order, because I still can't decide what that order is:

Davos

Jon

Tyrion

Ned

Arya

Tormund

Dolorous Edd

Blackfish

New. Jaime

Varys (because I am still not sure who he is with and who he is helping)

Stannis

Blackfish, Stannis, Tormund and Edd are all based on the books more than the show, Sandor because of the show more than the book. Arya, Jon, and Davos are my favorites in both versions.

My username and profile pic say it all haha. Young Griff, Jon Snow, Ygritte, Tormund, and Victarion are also ones I like too, both their show (if applicable) and novel characters.

Aerion as was unjust as he was unworthy of his dragon blood. :whip: :commie:

Arya, Theon, and Sam I love on both the show and in the books equally.

TV Hound made me appreciate Book Hound a lot more and I grew to love him as much as show Hound on the re-reads. Same happen with Brienne, actually.

I love Book Tyrion so much more than TV Tyrion... I hate the whitewashing, they're messing with a wonderfully complex character.

Oh, and about "why", well, ...

... Stannis and Jaime and Theon are all wonderfully grey; have the best developments, IMO; they are learning and changing, which I adore and have exciting and interesting arcs; I love their flaws actually maybe even more than their talents/qualities; I find them incredible complex and well-written; they grew on me with every book; they remind me of people in Real Life; maybe the most important aspect:

I can understand them and their behavior. Maybe not understand as in "I'd do the same if I were in their shoes", but as in "I see where you/it comes from". I understand their personalities and past, the struggles with their families, identities, duties, wishes, rises and falls, aso. and the very different conflicts in all of them. The choices they made/make and the things they have done/do are all realistic for me and I really see their problems and love so much how they and their storylines developed through every book; I love that these characters got their losses and defeats and low points (with Blackwater, Hand, Reek), and that they experience ups and downs; have realizations and have actually all to decide at some point "What kind of man/king do I want to be?". And the "range" isn't that large for them since they have limits given (by others, their power, their past, the circumstances, even by themselves), but become all, somehow, each in his own way, better men; they were, are and will always be fantastic book-characters!

I could really, really write thousand of sentences about each character, but these are things I love about them which they have in common. Plus: Dillane, Coster-Waldau and Allen are absolutely brilliant!

... and to Davos... he's Davos!

/end

(Okay, the "why": I can't believe how somebody could not love, or at least like, Davos. I love everything about him: His POV, his chapters, his past and how he became a knight/lord/hand, his whole story from being born in Flea Bottom to the siege-rescue to now; his honesty, his honor, his bravery, his undying loyalty to Stannis and love for his family, he's so ordinary and humble, honest and caring and so damn refreshing in this story full of schemers, liars and murderers. He understands people more than anyone, he wants to do the good, but sees himself and everyone as grey and just imperfect human, he's really clever and intelligent and does everything to become/be a good Hand. His honesty and loyalty are his biggest qualities, but maybe also biggest flaws; he constantly says the truth even it's hard or it brings him in danger; is the opposite of a Yes Man, he believes in Stannis, his cause and his justice, fights for him, serves him, even goes to a place full of Freys and cunning Northmen or now cannibals for him; he complements his king; he knows his limits and sees his mistakes or failures. He's a family-man, he really understands his king and can speak with the king's voice, he knows that he has to save Stannis sometimes from himself. He's honest as Ned was, but he also knows all the dodges. He's a realist, can be passionate, but at the same time very reasonable, he survives against all odds, every time; he isn't naive, he can be badass and sly and set against orders when he wants to do the right thing; he was once a criminal and knows the world's bad and darkness and evilness; people like LF climb the ladder by scheming and with murders and intrigues, he did it with service, honesty and loyalty. Almost nobody in Westeros will ever recognize it, but his doing and deeds changed so many things already and put so much in effect. He stands up against people like Mel or Freys, he grows more and more in his position as nobleman and Hand. And one of the most important things: He'll never ever forget where he came from, what he owns Stannis and will always be thankful. He will always remember that he was once a smuggler from Flea Bottom, never saw himself as a knight, will maybe never see himself as a lord, but really began to see himself as the king's Hand and knows his duties as that. And he always kept the finger joints as a reminder of his origins, but also Stannis' justice. He's a true hero, IMO, in ASOIAF and I can't not love him!)

:bowdown: on both counts :bowdown:

Book:

Arianne

Oberyn

Jon

Dany

Sansa

Tyrion

Theon

TV:

Oberyn (the tv show made me love him even more, the actor did a great job)

Jon

Tyrion

Arya

The Hound

Brienne

Olenna

Theon

**I actually really disliked Theon at first, but the TV show has made him grow on me. I seem to appreciate his story a lot more now on the reread.

:bowdown: on both counts :bowdown:

Thank you ^_^

I love these four so much... I predict they'll all die, besides Davos (who just CAN'T die! So many almost/fake executions/deaths in the past, now I don't think we'll die really), but the rest is going to bite the dust :(

Maybe that's better in some chases... Stannis dying heroically in the fight against the Others instead of, Idk, living as lord under the regime of some Targ; Theon finding peace in death instead of feeling pain the rest of his life [i actually maybe really think that after: "Death did not frighten Theon Greyjoy. Death would mean an end to pain." in his sample chapter]... But it will be still very, very horrible...

Robert Baratheon because he got me interested in reading the books to get more info on his past (the rebellion). A drunk, womanizing, x-warrior dickhead always interests me.

Robb Stark because my non book reading wife and friends ate his good guy/hero story right up. TV Show Stannis because of how he was first off the boat, first up the wall and had to be dragged away.

And finally Oberyn (book and tv show) because he was the definition of vengeance for not just his character but for me as a reader. He was supposed to be the savior and then...the fuckin Mountain happened.

Archived