Should films like The Interview be sanctioned? And now the Sony Hack

Fragile Bird

I used the word sanctioned because I have not come up with a satisfactory word - allowed? censored? banned? criticized? tolerated? judged? Ignored for what it is?

The movie, a Seth Rogen - James Franco comedy, is about a celebrity interviewer and his producer landing an interview with the leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-un, and the CIA asking them to assassinate him.

North Korea has already announced they consider the film a terrorist act.

The North Koreans have reacted with their usual bluster, calling the movie an act of war and flinging threats at the Obama administration, which it implied had masterminded the film to undermine their nation.

If the United States administration tacitly approves or supports the release of this film, we will take a decisive and merciless countermeasure, a spokesman for its Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

From The New York Times.

Shades of Benghazi?

Would it be funny if the Chinese made a movie about a couple of trade emissaries being asked to assassinate Obama?

Freedom of speech is a powerful freedom that needs to be supported, but is this just a really stupid idea?

The trailer.

I don't know; I think that if (hypothetically, not necessarily for this movie in particular) there is any concern that it might cause serious damage to a nation's foreign relations (not that the US is all chummy with North Korea, by any means), I think censorship might be warranted. Obviously, it would have to be a very extreme case, though, and it does leave a sour taste in my mouth suggesting this, but in certain cases I think it would be justified.

Would it be funny if the Chinese made a movie about a couple of trade emissaries being asked to assassinate Obama?

...maybe? Depends on if it was actually, ya know, funny. And China actually has a relationship with the US, which makes it an apples and oranges comparison.

The idea that the US Government should get involved in censoring movies because North Korea might throw a hissy fit is ridiculous. North Korea already made a movie (and yes, I mean the state, not a few people in the country) about US cities being destroyed in a North Korean nuclear attack, and what a good thing that would be. They do not have the moral high ground.

...maybe? Depends on if it was actually, ya know, funny. And China actually has a relationship with the US, which makes it an apples and oranges comparison.

The idea that the US Government should get involved in censoring movies because North Korea might throw a hissy fit is ridiculous. North Korea already made a movie (and yes, I mean the state, not a few people in the country) about US cities being destroyed in a North Korean nuclear attack, and what a good thing that would be. They do not have the moral high ground.

"Like" and agree.

I won't go to see the movie because it doesn't sound like something I'd be willing to spend my money on, but they shouldn't be censored.

Heard about this yesterday and..... NO. The answer is no. We have the first amendment here to protect unpopular speech. Its an American movie made by Americans and falls under the protection of the first amendment. If North Korea doesn't like it, then fuck 'em.

Obviously I wouldn't want there to be a war over a stupid movie, but for all the big talking we do about our 'freedoms'... well this is actually one of the ones I'm willing to accept the consequences for.

I don't even think this is a good example of something to consider censoring (if the government were going to do so). If someone wanted to do a remake/update of Natural Born Killers that would be something I personally would consider irresponsible, because so many stupid young people cannot understand satire and think that the two murderers in the movie are pretty great. There's over a dozen different incidents (including Columbine) where the killers were inspired/influenced by that movie.

I remember creating a thread about Natural Born Killers, and whether the stupid reactions that people have to violence puts some responsibility on the artists making it to be careful. I think that it does. However, that needs to come from the ARTISTS not to carelessly produce things that are inflammatory, not on the government.

And in the case of this silly movie, I don't think I would even call it inflammatory. The North Korean government is always pissed off about something because they love the attention.

To the OP, no. Censorship should be reserved for the rarest of circumstances, such as when a film could actually incite violence or cause crimes to be committed. Even then, how on earth do you prov something will be damaging unless the damage has already been caused? Without proof of good reason, censorship is a very steep and slippery slope that does not benefit anyone except regulators in need of work.

No, not films like The Interview.

The only films I'd support censoring are those directly attempting to incite violence within the US, or films that (somehow) are actually disclosing US secrets like including a step-by-step guide on how to break into the Pentagon or something. Beyond that, we've got the first amendment for a reason.

Consider the premise for Dr.Strangelove. Nuclear war ensues after politicians and militaries on both sides act like idiots. There is nothing funnier than good satire, but nothing worse than bad satire.

Heard about this yesterday and..... NO. The answer is no. We have the first amendment here to protect unpopular speech. Its an American movie made by Americans and falls under the protection of the first amendment. If North Korea doesn't like it, then fuck 'em.

Obviously I wouldn't want there to be a war over a stupid movie, but for all the big talking we do about our 'freedoms'... well this is actually one of the ones I'm willing to accept the consequences for.

Consider the premise for Dr.Strangelove. Nuclear war ensues after politicians and militaries on both sides act like idiots. There is nothing funnier than good satire, but nothing worse than bad satire.

Don't forget The Great Dictator. One of the best comedies of all time.

Archived