Martin Teases TWOW in EW....

Druze

Thank goodness by the end of season six the show will probably be well ahead of whereever Dany travelogues to for the next two-six books. (I've been here since 2001 or 2002 and I seriously doubt it will end in seven books, it will be many more than that, if it is ever finished, after so many years, I love the TV show is going to do the important bit of actually finishing the story, rather than drag it on with endless digressions to irrelevant locales and filler history).

Nothing like having Dany's storyline in TWOW be a reprise of Brienne, "oh noes the smallfolks is sad and mistreated by this fell beast War! Let us not tarry we must fly to another dozen villages that do not matter and hear the same tale repeated everywhere we go. Also, we may learn some delightful and irrelevant history so we can avoid any hint of plot in our meandering travelogue adventures, Huzzah!"

I'd watch Tyrion burn just to ensure a Arya and Jon reunion, I'd even throw Dany into the fire Just to appease the gods.

I still don't what the fuss is about, why are people so insistent on Tyrion and Dany meeting/ friendship BS. Her associating with Tyrion will only make her look bad in front of the Lord's of Westeros. If she took his head, it would be justice in the eyes of Westeros. =)

I must be in the minority that cares not if the imp lives or dies =( I just want Jon to survive!

Thank goodness by the end of season six the show will probably be well ahead of whereever Dany travelogues to for the next two-six books. (I've been here since 2001 or 2002 and I seriously doubt it will end in seven books, it will be many more than that, if it is ever finished, after so many years, I love the TV show is going to do the important bit of actually finishing the story, rather than drag it on with endless digressions to irrelevant locales and filler history).

Nothing like having Dany's storyline in TWOW be a reprise of Brienne, "oh noes the smallfolks is sad and mistreated by this fell beast War! Let us not tarry we must fly to another dozen villages that do not matter and hear the same tale repeated everywhere we go. Also, we may learn some delightful and irrelevant history so we can avoid any hint of plot in our meandering travelogue adventures, Huzzah!"

I think it will be a different type of meandering.

Dany in TWOW will be more of "take that, random, meaningless Essos baddie, as I smite you with fire and blood and my new Dothraki horde and my new Iron Born army, take that and that, meaningless Essos baddie that I will smite again for 2/3 of the book" and then, maybe will finally get to Westeros.

Thank goodness by the end of season six the show will probably be well ahead . . .

The interview seemingly indicates that both Daenerys and Tyrion will be making it to Westeros by the end of the book. At least that is how I read it.

My theory:

The Battle for Meereen will be finished long before Dany gets back, since she will be having significant interactions with the Dothraki. Among the important points here is that this limits her speed of travel to that of a trotting horse, not a flying dragon.

At some point, however, she will be wanting to get back to Meereen to see what has become of her other "children" (the dragons, and/or the Unsullied, or other freed slaves.) She may not like what she finds out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, back at Meereen...

...The battle will be over and done with. Victarion, right now, is arriving, and between them and the city's defenders, the *original* besiegers - the Yunkaii / Ghiscari alliance - will be smashed to bits. However, this does not necessarily mean that Victarion and Barristan will cooperate. Especially not with the Volantene navy bearing down, a possible outbreak of the bloody flux *inside* the city thanks to the plague corpses being sent in by trebuchet, Victarion and Barristan's past history of conflict, and the fact that Victarion is certainly not a ruler. If he tries to stay, then (1) he will be assaulted on land, his least favourite scenario, by a hugely numerically superior force, and (2) he will refuse to be a subordinate, be no good as a ruler, and almost certainly get murdered or driven off in short order, besides (3) his troops won't stay because of the plague. In short: Victarion is not coming to Meereen to stay.

So he will be long gone before Dany gets back, and his ships with him. The Yunkaii / Ghiscari people will no longer have ships, either, they too will all be either sunk or fled. Victarion will flee in defeat if he does not control a dragon, or victory if he does control one (and I suspect the horn will gain control of Rhaegal, who is reported in the Tyrion preview chapter as flying near the ironborn ships.)

The big, slow Volantene navy will be late to the battle. They will either get smashed up by Victarion on his way out, if he has control of a dragon, or have trouble of their own - slave soldiers attempting to desert to Dany's side. Possibly both will be true. The city itself, meanwhile, will be ravaged by plague, yet the invading army will now not be able to defect because the city cannot feed them if they stay permanently, so they will have to sack the city for food and either turn for home or turn on Yunkai and sack that. In either case they end up either getting destroyed, or turning for home with what is left of their fleet before Dany gets back. Neither of the two remaining cities in the region can *support* the population of an army that size, either to stay as refugees / defectors, or to despoil the surrounding countryside as besiegers: the Volantene army is, at best, looking for the same thing as Victarion, but without the dragons: in other words, "in, smash the place up, grab what we can, get back home pronto", and it's the ONLY choice they have. Their ships, like the ironborn's, will be either sunk or fled before Dany gets back.

Meanwhile it's been hinted by GRRM that Tyrion may end up as a dragonrider. Which means that he must spend some time in the proximity of at least one dragon that is not currently bonded to anyone else. If Rhaegal goes with the ironborn, this implies the horn will *only* control him, and leave Viserion free to meet Tyrion, since Tyrion is where Viserion is, and Drogon is far off with Dany.

It is also stated in this interview that Tyrion and Dany will cross paths in some fashion, but it does NOT say that they will team up outright: they will "intersect, in a way" rather than "join forces"

So, we get the following:

- Victarion, and what's left of the Volantis fleet after no more interaction between it and Victarion is possible, both come and go from Meereen before Dany arrives back, while she is off with the Dothraki. Dany will not meet them, or if she does, it will not be in Meereen.

- Tyrion, left behind by everybody (even if the Second Sons decamp with the remainder of the ironborn or Volantenes), will encounter Viserion the dragon, possibly injured.

- When Dany gets to Meereen, she and Tyrion will cross paths briefly, but something will have happened that will set her off again, finally on her journey to Westeros, *without* Tyrion at her side. Since she will not have ships, she will not be able to transport an army - she will have to travel on dragonback.

- I suspect that something will be the ironborn's successful theft of Rhaegal (whether he follows Victarion who is right there, or Euron who is back in Westeros and may still be the horn's recognised "owner"), and the fact that Viserion will be bonded to Tyrion by now, but may still be injured (after the Meereen battle) and unfit to fly. This would inspire Dany to pursue her stolen "child", the dragon she hatched, but have to leave the injured one behind in order to do so, and go alone since the Dothraki will *still* not cross the sea, either because of lack of ships or lack of willingness to board.

And if Tyrion gets left behind again... why he may be lucky, and meet with Archmaester Marwyn, coming eastwards to look for Dany, and either be able to take the dragon on board a ship that, unlike the Volantene navy, is a fast traveller (assuming the ship can still travel while the seasons are worse), or Marwyn may be able to heal the dragon or assist in the taming so that Viserion can fly again, and Tyrion ride him back belatedly...

It's interesting that he says there will be lots going on at the wall. Mel is the only POV there at the moment and I don't see GRRM giving her loads of chapters (it would kind of ruin her whole mysterious vibe). I wonder if we'll get any existing POV's heading to the wall?

Maybe Theon manages to escape and take the black. Or Arya gets sent there to assassinate Shireen or Mel.

I'd watch Tyrion burn just to ensure a Arya and Jon reunion, I'd even throw Dany into the fire Just to appease the gods.

I still don't what the fuss is about, why are people so insistent on Tyrion and Dany meeting/ friendship BS. Her associating with Tyrion will only make her look bad in front of the Lord's of Westeros. If she took his head, it would be justice in the eyes of Westeros. =)

I must be in the minority that cares not if the imp lives or dies =( I just want Jon to survive!

I haven't seen a lot of people claiming Tyrion and Dany are going to be friends. Half the people clamoring for them to meet want to see if she'll order him killed just for being Tywin Lannister's son. It's the potential for verbal fireworks I'm looking for there. And not just between him and Dany. Can't wait to see Barristan's reaction!

It's interesting that he says there will be lots going on at the wall. Mel is the only POV there at the moment and I don't see GRRM giving her loads of chapters (it would kind of ruin her whole mysterious vibe). I wonder if we'll get any existing POV's heading to the wall?

Maybe Theon manages to escape and take the black. Or Arya gets sent there to assassinate Shireen or Mel.

Hey, Jon is alive until TWoW says otherwise!

It's going to take a lot of pages to get Danny on that track in a believable way. She has to resolve her storyline in the Dothraki Sea, Solve the Merenese knot, get a navy, get to Valryia...all before setting foot in Westeros. Where does she go in Westeros? Every potential landing site creates added storyline to resolve.

I've seen the Vale suggested, as one of her ancestresses (Visenya?) did that.

Casterly Rock is another possibility. Tyrion can get them in through the sewers.

I've seen the Vale suggested, as one of her ancestresses (Visenya?) did that.

Casterly Rock is another possibility. Tyrion can get them in through the sewers.

I think that GRRM said that we will see Highgarden and CR in the next books.

People suggest that Dany will land at the Vale, because it is the place where Visenya went during the conquest.

At the time, Ronnel Arryn was the boy King and the de facto ruler was his mother, beautiful Sharra.

While Sharra and her army prepared to face the Targaryen army, all it took for Visenya to conquer them, was to take the King for a flight on her dragon.

The fact that the current Lord is SR and Sansa is by his side, makes people assume that history will repeat.

R+L=J isn't widely known on the outside. There are 'journalists' out there speculating that Daario and Benjen are the same based on some vague similarities in the actors' looks. I seriously doubt this article's writer is all that informed.

Not all of the readers (including me) believe in R+L=J.

Nope, I'm the same. I would give anything for a real Stark reunion. Tyrion meeting Dany would be interesting...Stark meeting Stark (or Jon) would be emotionally satisfying. I need some of the latter, damn it!

Not all of the readers (including me) believe in R+L=J.

Melisandre staring at Jon through the flames and Tormund saying that he could never be a kneeler again in the show pretty much confirmed it for me.

Nope, I'm the same. I would give anything for a real Stark reunion. Tyrion meeting Dany would be interesting...Stark meeting Stark (or Jon) would be emotionally satisfying. I need some of the latter, damn it!

:lol: :bowdown:

A Stark reunion has had a pin in it awhile now, I would love for Bran and Ayra to reunite..... Exchange some stories even. While new Sansa and Jon reunite..... I would love to read her interactions with him.

:lol: :bowdown:

A Stark reunion has had a pin in it awhile now, I would love for Bran and Ayra to reunite..... Exchange some stories even. While new Sansa and Jon reunite..... I would love to read her interactions with him.

"Hey Arya! Do you know what's awesome? I'm going to be a tree!"

"Oh, come on, that is so lame. I've been murdering people for the last three years and right now I'm training to be an assassin!"

Archived