College Basketball - Season Kick-off and Larry Brown Maths Edition

Ded As Ned

That's because in nearly every instance the mid-major fades because the coach bolts for a better gig at the first opportunity.

That happens a lot, but there are plenty of examples of coaches who didn't strike while the iron was hot and then got passed up. Larranega is about the only one I can think of that got a chance a few years later.

I am wondering what job is holding out for. Maybe an NBA gig like Stephens?

Could be. He could have had the UCLA gig last year. If you're going to turn that one down, there's not a lot of college jobs that are going to be on par. I suppose if Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky came calling it might be a different story. :dunno: Although its interesting that we don't give much credence to the possibility that he just wants to stay at VCU.

As for Stephens, I don't think he's long for the NBA. I think Crean gets his walking papers after this year (no way he lasts beyond next year at this rate) and IU goes after him.

ETA: Speaking of the NBA... Eric Bledsoe says Kentucky could "definitely" beat the Sixers in a seven game series. And so it begins... :lmao:

I watched it off and on, it was on at the gym when I was on the treadmill and then I watched some of the second half at home. Looked to me like Duke had control of the game the whole time.

Huh, I was watching Kansas/Kentucky on the treadmill.

That's because in nearly every instance the mid-major fades because the coach bolts for a better gig at the first opportunity.

We got our coach when he bolted for a much worse gig.

That happens a lot, but there are plenty of examples of coaches who didn't strike while the iron was hot and then got passed up. Larranega is about the only one I can think of that got a chance a few years later.

Could be. He could have had the UCLA gig last year. If you're going to turn that one down, there's not a lot of college jobs that are going to be on par. I suppose if Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky came calling it might be a different story. :dunno: Although its interesting that we don't give much credence to the possibility that he just wants to stay at VCU.

As for Stephens, I don't think he's long for the NBA. I think Crean gets his walking papers after this year (no way he lasts beyond next year at this rate) and IU goes after him.

ETA: Speaking of the NBA... Eric Bledsoe says Kentucky could "definitely" beat the Sixers in a seven game series. And so it begins... :lmao:

Kansas isn't opening any time soon. The only way Kentucky or UNC open is if they get nuked by the NCAA, at which point they become much less desirable jobs.

As for the Sixers thing, he may be right. Unlike when thsi comes up in the NFL every year, the Sixers roster isn't full of NBA players. They're full of a bunch of guys that were chosen because they frankly aren't NBA caliber players.

Also, that Sixers tanking thing is an embarrassment to the league, and it's not even working. They don't have a single player on their roster with all-star potential, outside of Embiid, who is more likely to end up in a wheelchair in 5 years than actually fulfill that potential. The best player in this year's draft is a center, a position tehy've already taken in the top 5 of the draft two years in a row.

The NBA already took one team from an owner, they ought to do the same.

I'm not sure Shaka Smart is waiting for a specific gig. He's only 37 years old, is worshipped in Richmond, has a wife who's embedded in the community and keeps getting solid recruiting classes (15th ranked in 2014 and 24th in 2015). Additionally, he gets a new contract every year due to all of the noise around him leaving so it's not like he's hurting for money. It's not on par with some of the major schools, but as was mentioned, he turned down UCLA and Marquette, two jobs that would be very enticing for him (one because it's UCLA, the other because he's from Madison, Wisconsin). I keep hoping that he realizes he has a good gig at a school that's cash rich and will continue to pay him. He'll obviously move on for a new challenge at some point, I just don't think it's going to be in the very near future. I really do have high hopes for VCU's potential now that they have a shooter (Melvin Johnson) next to Weber's ridiculous defense (9 steals last game) and Graham's all around game.

Kansas isn't opening any time soon. The only way Kentucky or UNC open is if they get nuked by the NCAA, at which point they become much less desirable jobs.

I wonder what UNC fans think about how long it will be before Roy retires? He's aged quite significantly over the past several years, and I never thought he'd be one of those guys coaching into his 70s. He's what, 63, 64 now? I'm not sure I see him coaching more than 3-4 more years.

I'm not sure Shaka Smart is waiting for a specific gig. He's only 37 years old, is worshipped in Richmond, has a wife who's embedded in the community and keeps getting solid recruiting classes (15th ranked in 2014 and 24th in 2015). Additionally, he gets a new contract every year due to all of the noise around him leaving so it's not like he's hurting for money. It's not on par with some of the major schools, but as was mentioned, he turned down UCLA and Marquette, two jobs that would be very enticing for him (one because it's UCLA, the other because he's from Madison, Wisconsin). I keep hoping that he realizes he has a good gig at a school that's cash rich and will continue to pay him. He'll obviously move on for a new challenge at some point, I just don't think it's going to be in the very near future. I really do have high hopes for VCU's potential now that they have a shooter (Melvin Johnson) next to Weber's ridiculous defense (9 steals last game) and Graham's all around game.

I don't know why he would want to leave at this point. He might be wanting to try and become the next Jim Calhoun. Building a national power out of nothing. Very admirable if he can do it.

God, Pitino is such a dinosaur... In the lead up to Cuse v. Cal, ESPN just showed a bit of a panel moderated by Bilas. Featured Boeheim, Coach K, Roy, and Ricky P.

First question, "How has the game changed?"

Pitino jumps in first and spends a minute and a half bitching about social media.

Probably the first time that Ive really been absolutely thankful that we dont have him. Talk about a guy who has let society pass him by.

God, Pitino is such a dinosaur... In the lead up to Cuse v. Cal, ESPN just showed a bit of a panel moderated by Bilas. Featured Boeheim, Coach K, Roy, and Ricky P.

First question, "How has the game changed?"

Pitino jumps in first and spends a minute and a half bitching about social media.

Probably the first time that Ive really been absolutely thankful that we dont have him. Talk about a guy who has let society pass him by.

Very few coaches don't hate Social media. They do it because they have to, but very few of the older crowd actually embrace it. I know Bob Stoops complains about it all the time.

But honestly, it's mostly just headaches for the coaches. Their players say stupid crap on it that causes distractions and ends up with them having to deal with it.

Cuonzo Martin's Cal team is looking really good against Syracuse in the first half.

Very few coaches don't hate Social media. They do it because they have to, but very few of the older crowd actually embrace it. I know Bob Stoops complains about it all the time.

But honestly, it's mostly just headaches for the coaches. Their players say stupid crap on it that causes distractions and ends up with them having to deal with it.

And therein lies the problem. They don't understand it and how to use it, so they fear it. On the other hand Calipari actually has classes with his players on how to use social media to build their brand. He is proactive and players respond to that. Other coaches could do that and the headaches would mostly go away.

Cuonzo Martin's Cal team is looking really good against Syracuse in the first half.

And therein lies the problem. They don't understand it and how to use it, so they fear it. On the other hand Calipari actually has classes with his players on how to use social media to build their brand. He is proactive and players respond to that. Other coaches could do that and the headaches would mostly go away.

They know how to use it, they just don't like it. And I'm sure every big time program now has "classes" on social media for their players. Not to build their brand (as that only makes sense if you're actively running your program as a 1 year NBA boot camp like Cal is), but to learn how to not get suspended for doing something stupid.

Kentucky held Montana State to 28 points. That's the fewest in Rupp Arena since the advent of the shot clock. (MTST scored 78 on future UK opponent UCLA.)

Average margin of victory on the season is now north of 30 PPG.

In today's AP poll, UK received all but 3 of the first place votes (Wisconsin got those). Which begs the question: Have those three voters been living under a damn rock?!!?

VCU v Villanova should be a good game tonight. Thought about going but it's so damn expensive. Still, I'm curious to see if VCU can handle a top 15 team even though they're ranked there.

Saw that on tonight's line-up as well. I'll certainly be watching that instead of a below average Saints team on MNF.

In today's AP poll, UK received all but 3 of the first place votes (Wisconsin got those). Which begs the question: Have those three voters been living under a damn rock?!!?

Nah, they've just got the cheese lobbyist coming at them hard. Hard like a caso bolo mellage!

Nah, they've just got the cheese lobbyist coming at them hard. Hard like a caso bolo mellage!

Damn Wis-cahn-sin. If only essentially the same Kentucky team minus a few more Mickey D's AA's could have beaten essentially the same Badgers team last year to demonstrate their objective superiority...

Kentucky held Montana State to 28 points. That's the fewest in Rupp Arena since the advent of the shot clock. (MTST scored 78 on future UK opponent UCLA.)

Average margin of victory on the season is now north of 30 PPG.

After the UK/KU game I started to joke that Vegas needs to lay odds on Kentucky holding an SEC team under 30 points this year. Probably not so funny now that I think about it.

Hell, given how haphazard Ole Miss is on offense it could very well be us. :crying:

I am so glad we only have to play you guys once.

Watched WVU beat the crap out of George mason earlier in the week, but unfortunately missed the win against UCONN last night. Mountaineers are 5-0 to start the season, not too shabby. It's early, but some positive signs for a return to the NCAA tourney this year.

Watched WVU beat the crap out of George mason earlier in the week, but unfortunately missed the win against UCONN last night. Mountaineers are 5-0 to start the season, not too shabby. It's early, but some positive signs for a return to the NCAA tourney this year.

They looked very impressive yesterday. Their pressure was causing fits to all the Uconn guards and in the 2nd half everytime Uconn got close, they had an answer. Juwan Staten was killing us and him and Boatright were getting chippy all game so you gotta love that confidence(although Boatright's block of him on a fast break was #2 on the top 10 plays). They moved into the top 25 and look to have a pretty decent squad, I love teams that press a lot.

Archived