Knights in Shining Armour - Rereading the Kingsguard.

HexMachina

Hello everyone, and welcome to the re-reading the Kingsguard project. :)
The aim of this is to delve into the PoVs of our various Kingsguard to compare and contrast their views of their duties and vows. At this stage, I am simply recruiting volunteers and deciding how broad to make the interpretation (e.g. can I include Sandor's interactions with the Stark girls? Rolly Duckfield?). Currently, I have the three main re-read characters as Brienne, Jaime and Barristan, but this could of course be broadened.
If you think you would be interested in joining this re-read project, please PM me. Deciding who shall look at each chapter can be decided once we have sufficient numbers.

Chapters to read: (subject to change)

A Game of Thrones:

Eddard X, a Game of Thrones - The Tower of Joy - Booknerd2

Sansa V, a Game of Thrones - Barristan's Dismissal - HelenaAndTheMachine - 22/07/2014
Sansa VI, a Game of Thrones - No True Knight - Sapphireghost18 - ????

A Clash of Kings:

Sansa I, a Clash of Kings - The Nameday Tourney - Sapphireghost18 - ????
Sansa III, a Clash of Kings - The Kingsguard Beating - Booknerd2 - 03/08/2014
Tyrion IX, a Clash of Kings - The Riots (with particular regard to how the Kingsguard deal with this threat to the royal family and the other nobility) - DogLover - 19/08/2014
Tyrion XIII, a Clash of Kings - The Hound's desertion - Doglover - 26/08/2014
Tyrion XIV, a Clash of Kings - The Kingsguard in Battle - 02/09/2014
Sansa VII, a Clash of Kings - The UnKiss (I feel this is relevant to Sandor's character as and him as a Kingsguard) - DogLover -09/09/2014

A Storm of Swords:

Arya VI, a Storm of Swords - The Hound and the Brotherhood - DogLover - 14/10/2014
Arya IX, a Storm of Swords - The Hound and Arya I - Sapphireghost18 - 04/11/2014
Arya X, a Storm of Swords - The Red Wedding I - Sapphireghost18 - 11/11/2014
Arya XI, a Storm of Swords - The Red Wedding II - DogLover - 11/11/2014
Arya XII, a Storm of Swords - The Hound and Arya II - HelenaAndTheMachine - 08/12/2014
Arya XIII, a Storm of Swords - Fight at the Crossroads - DogLover - 22/12/2014

Jaime, aSoS through to aDwD:

A Storm of Swords:
Jaime I - A Run in with Ryger - Dreamsongs - 16/09/2014
Jaime II - The Inn of the Kneeling Man - Dreamsongs - 23/09/2014
Jaime III - Capture by the Bloody Mummers - Dreamsongs - 30/9/2014
Jaime IV - Arrival at Harrenhal - Dreamsongs - 7/10/2014
Jaime V - The Truth About the Kingslayer - Sapphireghost18 - 21/10/2014
Jaime VI - The Bear and the Maiden Fair - Sapphireghost18 - 28/10/2014
Jaime VII - The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard -Ser Gerold Dayne - 18/11/2014
Jaime VIII - The White Book - Wolf Dreams - 25/11/2014
Jaime IX - Oathkeeper - HelenaAndTheMachine - 1/12/2014

A Feast For Crows:
Jaime I - Vigil over Lord Tywin - Wolf Dreams
Jaime II - History of the Kingsguard - Sapphireghost18
Jaime III - A Triumphant return to Harrenhal - WilliamWesterosiWallace
Jaime IV - The Pious Lord of Darry - WilliamWesterosiWallce
Jaime V - "Tyrion is Tywin's son" - WilliamWesterosiWallce
Jaime VI - The Fall of Riverrun - Wolf Dreams
Jaime VII - Deaf to her pleas - Ser Gerold Dayne

A Dance with Dragons:
Jaime I - At Raventree Hall - WilliamWesterosiWallace

Brienne, A Feast for Crows:
Brienne I - The Hedge Knights - The Crow's Third Eye
Brienne II - Arrival at Duskendale - The Crow's Third Eye
Brienne III - Nimble Dick - Booknerd2
Briene IV - The Whispers - Booknerd2
Brienne V - Return to Maidenpool - Booknerd2
Brienne VI - The Quiet Isle - DogLover
Brienne VII - The fight at the Crossroads - DogLover
Brienne VIII - "She screamed a word..." - DogLover

Barristan Selmy:

A Dance with Dragons:
The Queensguard - Ser Gerold Dayne
The Discarded Knight - HelenaAndTheMachine
The Kingbreaker - Ser Gerold Dayne
The Queen's Hand - Wolf Dreams

Other:

Ser Arys Oakheart, The Soiled Knight - HelenaAndTheMachine - 15/12/2014

Participating so far:
HelenaAndTheMachine
The Crow's Third Eye
WilliamWesterosWallace
Sapphireghost18
Father of Hostd
Danelle
Wolf Dream's
Ser Gerold Dayne

Stannis of House Baratheon
Doglover

Booknerd2

Dreamsongs

I'd like to point out to everyone that this will still be going ahead, but will be delayed slightly, as I go on holiday this Sunday for one week. One of our volunteers has agreed to recruit others whilst I am away so hopefully once I am back we can start quite quickly.

I'm always up for a re-read involving Jaime.

Me too! This sounds like a very interesting project and I would like to participate.

Thanks to all who have volunteered (and wifi hotspots in bars!). OP has been updated with names. From Sunday I will start allocating chapters so have a think about your preferences. Also, if you think of any other notable Kingsguard chapters (dismissing Barristan, possibly the KL riots?) please let me know

I think that the Arya chapters with Sandor should be considered, yes, because he is more honorable than half the knights in the current Knigsguard, even if he isn't an annointed knight. And, I'd like to suggest a Novellas reread, the Tales of Dunk and Egg. We all know that Ser Duncan was LC of Aegon V's Kingsguard, and the novellas are short and really cool.

Ok, the OP is fully updated with all of the relevant chapters thus far. I want to start allocating chapters, so please PM me with your preference of chapter/chapters in a message entitled Kingsguard Re-read as soon as possible. Your task with the chapters you are given will be to gain an insight into the attitudes, functions and ideals of the Kingsguard, and to see the differences in how serious each of them take their vows.Submit this in any format you wish, but a useful way of doing this is a brief summary of what happens in the chapter, highlights of relevant points about the Kingsguard/their vows and any other comments on this. Dates for these to be submitted to the re-read project will be given when enough chapters are allocated - analyses will be in chronological order (i.e. GoT, then CoK, SoS etc)

We should pay attention to Sansa in ACOK too, she is the one with the biggest contact with the White Knights and how they take their vows, and their actions towards her are really different. Take for an example how Ser Meryn beats her out of pleasure, Ser Mandon out of Duty and Ser Arys only after the King forces him to do so.

Ladies and Gentleman,

We have 11 chapters left to allocate, but we now have sufficient readers (thank you Dreamsongs!) to begin. I will be sending out dates to turn in your chapter analysis later tonight. One thing I decided was that Eddard X, the Tower of Joy, should be done last, since its such an iconic chapter.

How long between chapters would you all like? One week? Two? Three? Please tell me what you would all prefer :)

Archived