Small questions v. 10084

Knight Of Winter

There's a "Follow this topic" button on the top right, once it's been clicked it logically says "Unfollow this topic". That's all I get out of it. To actually be shown updates in this thread I need to write an entry (which by now I have done).

re Mance.

Despite Jon's early childhood memory remembering Mance as a young Night's Watch man I insist he is "old", at least in his thirties.

(minimum 12 to leave the wall with other rangers) plus another 12 since the memory makes only 24. But still he has learned mastery in playing the harp and every song known in the seven kingdoms and beyond the wall will take a lot of time for travelling and practice.

Also his hair is greying, (the first time we see him, his hair is all grey,) the second time, his brown hair is greying. So in middle ages' terms, he is old.

I'd put him in his forties, even. 25 to 30 is still young (Lysa Tully is called young at 33), and 12 years later would give 45.

Also, the follow this topic button leads to you receiving an email when a post has been made in the topic you are following. When you "unfollow" a topic, you'll no longer receive emails.

I wonder: do the Norvoshi speak really, really slowly? Here's why:

In AFFC, "Alleras" is described as having "a soft Dornish drawl." (Samwell V)

In ADWD, Areo Hotah thinks to himself: " Dorne had seemed a queer place to him as well when first he came here with his own princess, many years ago. The bearded priests had drilled him on the Common Speech of Westeros before they sent him forth, but the Dornishmen all spoke too quickly for him to understand." (The Watcher)

So on the one hand, the Dornish speak slowly (having a "drawl") in Sam's estimation. On the other, they speak rapidly according to Areo Hotah. Is this just a case of Jeyne Westerling being described differently in different books or horses changing sex (ie, an oversight by GRRM)? Or do the Norvoshi speak slowly compared to Dornish (and, presumably, very slowly compared to people from, say, the Reach, like Sam)? Or -- perhaps most likely -- did the "bearded priests" speak very slowly when teaching Hotah the common tongue?

Ok couple of questions (hopefully they count as 'little' ones):

1) Whose corpses are being thrown at Mereen after the Green Grace returns from treating with them?

2) If Varys little birds are all mute how does the little lad make it known that Kevan is wanted by Grand Maester Pycelle in the epilogue of Dance

I wonder: do the Norvoshi speak really, really slowly? Here's why:

So on the one hand, the Dornish speak slowly (having a "drawl") in Sam's estimation. On the other, they speak rapidly according to Areo Hotah. Is this just a case of Jeyne Westerling being described differently in different books or horses changing sex (ie, an oversight by GRRM)? Or do the Norvoshi speak slowly compared to Dornish (and, presumably, very slowly compared to people from, say, the Reach, like Sam)? Or -- perhaps most likely -- did the "bearded priests" speak very slowly when teaching Hotah the common tongue?

When learning a strange language, you'll usually think natives talk fast when listening to them speak, whilst the natives won't think they speak fast at all.

I guess that's what happened here. Hotah could understand it whilst they spoke it very slowly to him, but once he found himself surrounded with regular speed speaking people, it became too fast for him. The rest of Westeros speaks the comin tongue as well, so they'd have less trouble understanding the Dornish.

Ok couple of questions (hopefully they count as 'little' ones):

1) Whose corpses are being thrown at Mereen after the Green Grace returns from treating with them? Both ridding the enemy of the corpses that can infect others, and bringing the disease inside the walls of Meereen.

2) If Varys little birds are all mute how does the little lad make it known that Kevan is wanted by Grand Maester Pycelle in the epilogue of Dance

1) IIRC, these are the corpses of those who've died of the bloody flux.

2) a written note, perhaps.

1) IIRC, these are the corpses of those who've died of the bloody flux.

2) a written note, perhaps.

1) I did think that it would have been people who rode the pale mare, just wanted to check :)

2) But that would mean the servin Girl would have the ability to read, do we know if servants of the faith are taught to read/write. (I realise i am totally over thinking this btw)

Just thought of another one (maybe been asked before had a look but was unable to find anything) who will Robert Strong face in the upcoming trial by combat? Will the holy faith choose a Champion (Knight of the Holy order maybe??)

1) I did think that it would have been people who rode the pale mare, just wanted to check :)

2) But that would mean the servin Girl would have the ability to read, do we know if servants of the faith are taught to read/write. (I realise i am totally over thinking this btw)

1) that's the most likely option, although some believe besiegers are throwing corpses of Dany's hostages.

2) servants don't usually learn to read (even some nobles don't learn it); but Varys' little birds do. I think it's mentioned in Tyrion's conversation with Illyrio that birds are thought to read a message/listen to a conversation, memorize it and report it.

2) but the kid was stopped by a KG knight. They should be able to read ;)

Just thought of another one (maybe been asked before had a look but was unable to find anything) who will Robert Strong face in the upcoming trial by combat? Will the holy faith choose a Champion (Knight of the Holy order maybe??)

Yes, Faith will choose a champion. We don't know who will that be, although Lancel and Sandor are most popular guesses. I believe is that Faith's champion will be completely new character.

1) that's the most likely option, although some believe besiegers are throwing corpses of Dany's hostages.

That's what i was trying to convince myself wasn't happening! Think it said there where 6 Trechbuchets (Sp) and arent there only 3/4 hostages left with the Yunkai? I am Still relying on the Dornishmen to rescue Dario and the others :)

Far out thought with no other places in the text to back it up: it makes sense that Varys will make use of children from KL to deliver spoken messages. Yes, not elsewhere in the text, but it makes sense.

2) but the kid was stopped by a KG knight. They should be able to read ;)

Why? Because Kings Guard once were the finest of chivalry. So Aerys' Kingsguard would have been readers, we know Jaime and Loras read if they must and do so ok, but the rest of the boy king's Kings Guard may or may not.

edit: tpyo

Why? Because Kings Guard once were the finest of chivalry. So Aerys' Kingsguard would have been readers, we know Jaime and Loras read if they must and do so ok, but the rest of the boy king's Kings Guard may or may not.

edit: tpyo

Most of the KG are sill highborns, so chances are big they can read. When thinking more along the lines of the Kettlebacks, then I doubt they can read.

Those people should read the Barristan sample chapter ;) the bodies hitting the ground are bodies of the flux victims.

Could some kindly soul point me in the direction of all the released sample chapters. Its past time i read them :)

Could some kindly soul point me in the direction of all the released sample chapters. Its past time i read them :)

Title chapters are sometimes spoiler material so here you go

Theon I - was on GRRMs website for a while. A quick google search should turn it up. I recommend the website Sribd. for that chapter

Arianne I - was on GRRM's website for a time. Again, a quick google search should turn it up.

Arianne II - There is a summary on the Winds of Winter subforum of this website. This one was only read.

Mercy (Arya) - Is currently on GRRMs website. Defintely recommend, and prepare for a bit of a :eek: moment

Barristan I and Barristan II - One of these was published in the US paperback version of aDwD iirc. The other was read out. Summaries available.on the Winds subforum.

Victarion - There is a video with a partial reading of the chapter on YouTube, and summaries of the full chapter on the winds of winter board iirc.

Tyrion I - is summarised on the Winds board

Tyrion II - is avaialable on the asoiaf app

Oh my. Thats more chapters that I thought...

Archived