Small questions v. 10084

Knight Of Winter

Skimming through one thread, I found this quote:

As for what is out there [west of Westeros], an ironborn explorer in AFFC says he found another landmass out there which he things the ironborn should migrate to. Whether that's a big island or a whole new continent is unknown.

So, can anyone kindly provide an exact quote from the books?

Skimming through one thread, I found this quote:

So, can anyone kindly provide an exact quote from the books?

The Drowned Man (aka, The Kingsmoot)

Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans. The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea.

Lord Gylbert began to speak. He told of a wondrous land beyond the Sunset Sea, a land without winter or want, where death had no dominion. "Make me your king, and I shall lead you there," he cried. "We will build ten thousand ships as Nymeria once did and take sail with all our people to the land beyond the sunset. There every man shall be a king and every wife a queen."

(emphasis mine)

From Eddard I

Now it was perfume that clung to him like perfume, and he had a girth to match his height. Ned had last seen the king nine years before during Balon Greyjoy's rebellion, when the stag and the direwolf had joined to end the pretensions of the self-proclaimed King of the IronIslands.

Title chapters are sometimes spoiler material so here you go

Arianne I - was on GRRM's website for a time. Again, a quick google search should turn it up.

Arianne II - There is a summary on the Winds of Winter subforum of this website. This one was only read.

Oh my. Thats more chapters that I thought...

The wiki currently calls GRRM's website chapter "Arianne II", but it should be "Arianne I", right?

Not that I remember from the text, but according to the wiki they are sworn to House Reed, so they would be in the crannogs area, even if they are not crannogmen. Could be in the borderlands between the Neck and the rest of the North.

That's what I'm wondering about, actually. It makes sense that House Marsh would be from the Neck, but it is still unconfirmed. They are not listed in ADWD as crannogmen attacking the ironborn, so it's also unconfirmed that they are sworn to House Reed like the wiki currently states.

The wiki currently calls GRRM's website chapter "Arianne II", but it should be "Arianne I", right?

That's what I'm wondering about, actually. It makes sense that House Marsh would be from the Neck, but it is still unconfirmed. They are not listed in ADWD as crannogmen attacking the ironborn, so it's also unconfirmed that they are sworn to House Reed like the wiki currently states.

Well that Arianne chapter is taken down now anyway :) But yes, reading the summary it appears that way. The one on GRRMs website was set in Dorne, the summary is in the Stormlands (I just read the complete summary yesterday, as it seems to be burried right in the middle.of the discussion thread

Just had a thought on House Marsh - is it perhaps info from the App?

Just had a thought on House Marsh - is it perhaps info from the App?

Not that that I can find. The Bowen Marsh entry just states "Origin / Place of birth: North" and the Neck entry doesn't list any of the houses.

2) but the kid was stopped by a KG knight. They should be able to read ;)

From the passage where Arya overhears Varys and Illyrio, we know that Illyrio send Varys young children with their tongues cut out but who can read and write.

Yes, Faith will choose a champion. We don't know who will that be, although Lancel and Sandor are most popular guesses. I believe is that Faith's champion will be completely new character.

There's some speculation that we could see a trial of seven.

Who would have jurisdiction over the Riverlands?

I expect if the Riverlands were threatened or invaded from theeast it would be the Warden of the East. But if the threat came from the west it ought to be the Wicked Witch, I mean the Warden of the West.

In the Hedge Knight Aerion requests a Trial by Seven. I thought it was the duty of the accused to request Trial by Combat. Am I wrong in this? Or is it the fact that Aerion was a Prince he could do what he wanted?

Archived