July 2014 reads

mashiara

I'm starting Unclean Spirits: Book One of the Black Suns's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover. It was was highly recommended on the urban fantasy/paranormal romance thread so I'm pretty excited about it.

I need a suggestion from my July read. I am on my college vacation so I got plenty of time. I read in two months the three books of the gentlemen bastards series. So I read all ASOIAF thus far, the whole first law trilogy, the King killer chronicles released thus far, the Prince of thorns trilogy. Hunger games. Warlord chronicles. Robopocalypse. The demon cycle. American Gods. Mongoliad book one. Alright so I guess you can see what genres I like based from what I wrote. I have the night angel trilogy sitting on my epub library, ocean at the end of the lane, the grim company and the passage all sitting there. I really have no idea what to read for July. Help me guys. Please

You could start by looking at the recommendation thread pinned at the top of this Literature forum.

I need a suggestion from my July read. I am on my college vacation so I got plenty of time. I read in two months the three books of the gentlemen bastards series. So I read all ASOIAF thus far, the whole first law trilogy, the King killer chronicles released thus far, the Prince of thorns trilogy. Hunger games. Warlord chronicles. Robopocalypse. The demon cycle. American Gods. Mongoliad book one. Alright so I guess you can see what genres I like based from what I wrote. I have the night angel trilogy sitting on my epub library, ocean at the end of the lane, the grim company and the passage all sitting there. I really have no idea what to read for July. Help me guys. Please

Read Shogun by James Clavell, man. I haven't read it yet but it's the next book I'll read. I've heard so much good things about it and think it's right up my alley. And yours too going by the books you mentioned.

Shogun is political intrigue, struggles for power and grey characters. A bit like asoiaf but in a history setting of feudal japan.

Man i should really get started with the book soon.

Read Shogun by James Clavell, man. I haven't read it yet but it's the next book I'll read. I've heard so much good things about it and think it's right up my alley. And yours too going by the books you mentioned.

Shogun is political intrigue, struggles for power and grey characters. A bit like asoiaf but in a history setting of feudal japan.

Man i should really get started with the book soon.

I heard a lot about this book last year. I will definitely read it once I finish Robogenesis which I started today and I am already 60% in it.

Halfway through Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs. Beautifully written, if a little slow to get going, this is quality stuff. Thing is, Tower Lord is going to drop onto my kindle in about 40 minutes, so I think I'll have to park it for a few days while I find out what Vaelin's been getting up to.

Halfway through Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs. Beautifully written, if a little slow to get going, this is quality stuff. Thing is, Tower Lord is going to drop onto my kindle in about 40 minutes, so I think I'll have to park it for a few days while I find out what Vaelin's been getting up to.

City of Stairs was so damn good. The protagonist's secretary would eat Vaelin for dinner. Don't switch horses mid stream!

City of Stairs was so damn good. The protagonist's secretary would eat Vaelin for dinner. Don't switch horses mid stream!

You know, you're probably right. It took me a little while to get into it, and now that I'm enjoying it I should really just kick on.

And yeah, Sigrud totally rocks.

Managed to finish Brooks Landover series last night and then started on Eddings Elenium, its been a few years since I read it so I'm looking forward to it :)

This despite my aim to read more new stuff rather than re-reads this year, but to be fair I had only read Landover once before last month, so it's kind of new lol

Gorst and Calder were my favorite POVs in that book

Calder is deffinetly one of my favourites! Its not that I don't enjoy Gorst, its just that I'm not super excited to get to his next chapter. Maybe he gets better as the book goes on!

Craw so far is probably my favourite! And I love both Whirrun and Wonderful! Looking forward to continue this book, but I'm having finals at school so 👎

At the moment I'm not quite yet in half of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.

So far I like it more than Gone Girl, so I suspect I may belong to the camp, who enjoys Flynn's two earlier novels more than the very popular GG. Hmmm, if this one ends to my satisfaction, I might be forced to eventually pick up Sharp Objects, but, given its contents, ugh, I'm not sure I want to.

I like all of her novels, but Gone Girl is probably my favourite. Sharp Objects is disturbing, but worth a read if you can :) Hope you enjoy Dark Places!

I'm just about to start Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, which turned up this morning (and is still £5 on Amazon I believe). I really like Abercrombie, so I have high hopes for this one.

I finished Ian McDonald's Planesrunner. It was entertaining, but doesn't really compare to his some of his other SF works. It felt a bit lacking in depth compared to his non-YA works, particularly in terms of characterisation, Everett is too perfect a protagonist to really be interesting and aside from Sen most of the others didn't get more than a couple of character traits each. The pacing keeps it moving along nicely, I like the steampunk parallel universe and there's occasional flashes of how good McDonald's writing can be but it feels like it could have been a lot better than it was.

Also read the nominees for the Hugo Short Story, or three of them, I'm not sure if there was meant to be a fourth? They were all OK, but none of them felt particularly noteworthy.

Will probably read Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Seal of the Worm next, assuming I find time to go to a bookshop to get it.

I like all of her novels, but Gone Girl is probably my favourite. Sharp Objects is disturbing, but worth a read if you can :) Hope you enjoy Dark Places!

I'm just about to start Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, which turned up this morning (and is still £5 on Amazon I believe). I really like Abercrombie, so I have high hopes for this one.

Glad for you! My Half a King copy is going to arrive on the 24th of July *cries*

In the mean time I'll continue with The Heroes and then move on to Red Country

Glad for you! My Half a King copy is going to arrive on the 24th of July *cries*

In the mean time I'll continue with The Heroes and then move on to Red Country

I struggled a bit with The Heroes - I guess everyone has a book they think is the weakest - but Red Country was fantastic.

So far so good with Half a King. It may just be me, but it almost reads with a different voice. I'm really liking it so far though.

Reading A Handmaid's Tale at the moment, which I can't seem to put down. It's really good so far. I will likely read Night after that and then the last volume of Y: The Last Man

HA!

So glad I took your advice. What a book. It took me a few days to get to the halfway point, but from the point of the

warehouse fire, and Sigrud's epic battle with the kaiju-thingy

I just couldn't put it down. Brilliant setting, brilliant characters, and an amazing payoff.

One of the best books I've ever read.

Archived