Women as leaders of noble houses

Unless you're in Dorne, a woman wouldn't inherit even if born first (ex: Cersei & Casterly Rock, Catelyn & Riverrun).

Yes but they can inherit if they are single child.

Lady Jeyne Arryn, Lady Rhea Royce and Lady Sarelle Lannister agree.

I have another question though. Lady Jeyne died being a maid, Lady Rhea died childless and Lady Sarelle died in her minority. If Sarelle lived and married and born a son, would he still be Lannister by name?

If Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce had a child, would (s)he be a Targaryen or Royce?

If Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce had a child, he'd be named Targaryen. However, when that child inherited Runestone, he'd change his name to Royce. We learn that in the ACCOK Bran chapter where it is suggested thet Beren Tallhart would change his name to Hornwood (her mother's) if he was to be chosen as heir to the late lord.

In fact, this tradition to changing your name when you inherit anything through female line seems to be the reason why the names of many houses remain unalterable in Westeros after thousands of years.

Yes but they can inherit if they are single child.

Lady Jeyne Arryn, Lady Rhea Royce and Lady Sarelle Lannister agree.

I have another question though. Lady Jeyne died being a maid, Lady Rhea died childless and Lady Sarelle died in her minority. If Sarelle lived and married and born a son, would he still be Lannister by name?

If Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce had a child, would (s)he be a Targaryen or Royce?

It is possible to have a matrilineal marriage, where the children take the mother's name by agreement. I can't say for Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce, because the royal family might be a bit different, but Maege Mormont, Arwyn Oakheart, and Anya Waynwood's children all have their mother's name, and no indication that they ever had any other. If the girl is an heiress, then any marriage she makes will be done with the knowledge that her children keep the name. In the Hornwood case, Berena Hornwood wasn't the heiress, and so she had a typical patrilineal marriage, with her sons taking their father's name.

I know that a woman can be the head of her house if she is the first born.

But how did Anya Waynwood and Arwyn Oakheart become the heads in their houses.

Just wondering.

As far as I am concerned, Anya Waynwood and Arwyn Oakheart were born into the houses Waynwood and Oakheart respectively. Since they do not seem to have any brothers (they both have adult sons, but that does not matter in this case), they probably rule their houses by virtue of being eldest daughter of the last lord Waynwood and Oakheart respectively.

The same can be seen for instance when Cersei Lannister becomes head of House Lannister in AFFC due to being the only child, who has no obstructions to her inheritance like vows (Jaime took the vows of the KG) or anathemas (Tyrion cannot inherit due to King Tommen passing a bill that stripped him of all titles because he killed the previous king Joffrey).

ETA: Due to the civil war in Westeros, there are currently a lot of female head of Houses, since in many families the male heirs are dead

-Should Harrion Karstark, the current Lord Karstark, die his sister Alys becomes Lady Karstark due to being the only living sibling of him

-Brienne of Tarth is the only living child of Lord Selwyn Tarth, so if he dies, she becomes Lady of Tarth

-Jonelle Cerwyn is the head of House Cerwyn, since she is the only libing sibling of the former Lord Cley Cerwyn

-Eddara Tallhart is the head of House Tallhart, since she is the only living child of Lord Leobalt Tallhart

If Daemon Targaryen and Rhea Royce had a child, he'd be named Targaryen. However, when that child inherited Runestone, he'd change his name to Royce. We learn that in the ACCOK Bran chapter where it is suggested thet Beren Tallhart would change his name to Hornwood (her mother's) if he was to be chosen as heir to the late lord.

In fact, this tradition to changing your name when you inherit anything through female line seems to be the reason why the names of many houses remain unalterable in Westeros after thousands of years.

I didn't know that, now everything is explained. But when Tywin married Tyrion and Sansa, his plan was for the Lannisters to rule the North, wasn't it? So their heirs would be called Lannisters? Just wondering.

I didn't know that, now everything is explained. But when Tywin married Tyrion and Sansa, his plan was for the Lannisters to rule the North, wasn't it? So their heirs would be called Lannisters? Just wondering.

I think Tyrion's children would have adopted the Stark name for continuity reasons. Like I said, Lady Oakheart and Lady Waynwood probably did marry men outside their houses, but their children still are called after them because of tradition. Likewise, Harry the Heir would probably call himself Arryn if Sweetrobin died.

The Lannisters would have had Sansa and Tyrion's children take the Lannister name because of their pride and to grind House Stark into the dust for good.

The Lannisters would have had Sansa and Tyrion's children take the Lannister name because of their pride and to grind House Stark into the dust for good.

Tywin might have done that because of some misplaced Lannister pride, but it would have been pretty stupid to do away with Sansa's Stark heritage.

Archived