More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

I saw an old joking thread about the possible undertones of attraction that Jon gives towards Satin, and thought I'd make a serious one. As a gay man it means a lot to me to see gay characters and I loved Renly and Loras being a thing. Although it's a little presumptuous, if Jon is alive I'd love him and Satin to have a sexual/romantic encounter. I'd really like to see a lesbian character, not just a woman having an experimental moment. Which is fine, and I praise Martin for it, but a lesbian character confident in her sexuality would be cool. So what you all think. Should we have more gay. And even if it's a little silly, Jon and Satin :)

Lol I was just reading about Jon x Satin when I saw this new thread XD. On a more serious note, I would love to see one of the main character go homosexual(or bi). Possible homosexual pairs I can see:-

Jon and Satin

Dany and Missandei

Tyrion and Bronn(heck why not)

I saw an old joking thread about the possible undertones of attraction that Jon gives towards Satin, and thought I'd make a serious one. As a gay man it means a lot to me to see gay characters and I loved Renly and Loras being a thing. Although it's a little presumptuous, if Jon is alive I'd love him and Satin to have a sexual/romantic encounter. I'd really like to see a lesbian character, not just a woman having an experimental moment. Which is fine, and I praise Martin for it, but a lesbian character confident in her sexuality would be cool. So what you all think. Should we have more gay. And even if it's a little silly, Jon and Satin :)

I don't think there is supposed to be anything there between Jon and Satin. Without being rude, I think that's more a case of folk wanting it to happen*. I read Jon's repeated noting of Satin's looks as Martin's way of emphasising that he's a good looking fella. He's protective of him but some members of the Watch dislike Satin because of his past, and Jon identifies with - and wants to help - outsiders.

As a straight man I don't have any issues with more gay or lesbian - or bisexual - characters, so wrong as they're well written. Everyone likes to see themselves represented or characters they identify with, so why not?

Renly & Loras was well written. We've also got a bit of a bad ass in The Blackfish who may well be homosexual too, and Oberyn lay with men as well as women. None of those characters are written as a gay stereotype and their sexuality isn't the only noteworthy thing about them. I think that's important. There's got to be more to a character than the sexuality - no matter which way they swing.

*There must be some man-on-man lovin' at The Wall though.

I think that's homosexuality on the wall has kind of been lost as a topic because of the all the other crazy shit going down. Obviously there's moles town and stuff but I imagine that not everyone can get away with a going there, and need to get their kicks else where. I think Jon having a Bi experience would be an interesting plot point, too show that anyone can have a Lilly's curiosity in them. I always imagine Dany and missandei as sisters, and isn't she like ten??

I also like Satin because he's a more feminine gay. I live gay stereotypes being broken down, but we can't pretend that all gays are rough and tough men. It's nice to show that Martin writes them as people not fem gays or Macho gays, but a mix.

Ehh well, I always thought Dany and Missandei were almost of an age. And besides, there's theories that she's a CotF XD And hence way older than she seems~

I agree about the Wall though. No time for love!

We've also got a bit of a bad ass in The Blackfish who may well be homosexual too

What?? When?? How?? How did I miss that??? :stunned:

I also like Satin because he's a more feminine gay. I live gay stereotypes being broken down, but we can't pretend that all gays are rough and tough men. It's nice to show that Martin writes them as people not fem gays or Macho gays, but a mix.

We don't know if he's really gay though. He might just be doing it for the money.

I have the impression that being effeminate in Westeros would carry more of a stigma than being an actual homosexual. I am fairly sure that when Jon called Satin pretty as a girl, he did not mean it as a compliment.

What?? When?? How?? How did I miss that??? :stunned:

We don't know if he's really gay though. He might just be doing it for the money.

I think Brynden Tully refusing to marry - despite his brother's wishes - was supposed to leave it somewhat ambiguous as to whether he just wouldn't marry for political reasons (only for love) or because he's gay.

Is Satin actually gay, though? I know he was previously a whore and is a bit feminine, but again, I wasn't 100% convinced on first read that he's gay. Then again, Martin doesn't outright tell us with Renly & Loras either in ACOK.

OK, so by "homosexual" you didn't mean anything sexual. You can see how i would make that erroneous assumption.

I think the 'sexual' we're talking about are two different thing. HomoSEXUAL is one's sexuality. Missandei doesn't need to have sexual thoughts about Dany to know that she likes her as a woman. And even if she does, doesn't mean they engage in such activities. I expressed that ship for future possibilities.

In case you were unaware, Connington is also almost certainly homosexual (far more certain than the Blackfish.) and in love with Rhaegar.

Robert Baratheon had been hiding somewhere in the town, wounded and alone. Jon Connington had known that, and he had also known that Robert’s head upon a spear would have put an end to the rebellion, then and there. He was young and full of pride. How not? King Aerys had named him Hand and given him an army, and he meant to prove himself worthy of that trust, of Rhaegar’s love.

Edit: there are also gay characters in The Princess and The Queen and The Rouge Prince, and of course Daemon II Blackfyre from the last Dunk & Egg story

Archived