More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

Yeah, not only are the gay characters sex machines but also, they're dumb as fuck :lol:

Ugh, yes. Loras spilling the beans to that same dumb prostitute-squire (known as male Ros in some circles) was just the worst

^Whatever their reasons are, they are more like the greeks. The Reach was pretty much like "who the hell cares if Renly likes men, as soon as him being King is a good thing for me". I wish many people could be like that in modern times about gay politicians. "Oh, he's gay... who cares as long as his work benefits me and our community".

To be fair, too many people decide whether they "like" a politician based on their political party or whether they look good in a suit. The British media went crazy over François Hollande's affair last year, and they seemed totally baffled by the French people they interviewed more or less saying "I don't vote for him based on his sex life though".

To be fair, too many people decide whether they "like" a politician based on their political party or whether they look good in a suit. The British media went crazy over François Hollande's affair last year, and they seemed totally baffled by the French people they interviewed more or less saying "I don't vote for him based on his sex life though".

They did ? That's..weird.

I agree it should be like this, but I still think people have some serious bias when it comes to this kind of thing : as soon as someone is known as gay, you'll always have a good deal of people reacting differently to him/her, or judging him/her differently.

Yeah, not only are the gay characters sex machines but also, they're dumb as fuck :lol:

Not sure if it was the character who needed it spelled or some viewers :devil:

Well, since this is about characters we think might be gay, when I first read the stories I honestly thought Ned and Robert might be secretly gay, and all the comments about them being 'closer than brothers' were met to hint at that, as well as Robert clearly hating his wife.

The reason I thought that though was more from what I heard a few co-workers saying about the GOT TV series before I read the books. I heard them talking about Renly and Loras and the differences from the books. I recalled them saying something along the lines of "the TV series opens with 2 of them openly in bed together, while the books are more subtle at hinting that he might enjoy his company more than his own wife's". When the book opened with Robert and Ned together, I assumed they had met the TV series opened that way in the first episode, and Ned and Robert were who they were referring to.

It wasn't until halfway through GOT that I started to doubt that Ned and Robert were really gay, when it was clear that Robert frequented brothels and fathered lots of bastards. That and Ned showed no sign of dissatisfaction at being married to Cat.

Robert? Well, indeed you read on. The guy fathered a dozen bastards and couldn't keep it in his pants. He took refuge in a brothel during the Battle of the Bells and, my didn't the cat get the cream! He fathered Mya Stone when he and Ned were both fostered at The Eyrie so it wasn't Ned he had his eye on.

Friendship is alive and well I'm pleased to report, it's not all repressed attraction.

i have no problem with gay characters in the series but adjusting them from book to tv to be gay will dilute the story and will just be an episode filler to add an element of forbidden on unnatural love to the story, missandei and greyworm

Dude missandei and greyworm is totally redic, can't beleive it. And if they end up boinking.... ugh

Dude missandei and greyworm is totally redic, can't beleive it. And if they end up boinking.... ugh

While I agree that it is a filler, and IMHO an unnecessary one, I don't think it's ridiculous, tragic is rather the word that comes to mind. And, it is even based on the text: "Even those who lack a man’s parts may still have a man’s heart".

While I agree that it is a filler, and IMHO an unnecessary one, I don't think it's ridiculous, tragic is rather the word that comes to mind. And, it is even based on the text: "Even those who lack a man’s parts may still have a man’s heart".

I could take it or leave it, but I just figured it was like a less depressing version of Stalwart Shield

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this would be wise at all. Whatever people do in the privacy of their own homes is one thing but this is based of a medieval society where gay people would be very much in the closet. Having them just openly flaunt it would be about as realistic as darrio's hairstyle. As long as their has been human beings there have been homosexuals but like I said openly homosexual characters, particularly main characters at this point would knock the series off balance. Lets not turn this into a gay pride parade. There is one thing being confident in your sexuality and another being confident in it within a world where it would get your genitals cut off and stuffed down your throat.

Lol @ the More Gay Characters Would Be Unrealistic Argument in regards to a series revolving around a medieval zombie apocalypse that also features dragons.

It's a completely valid argument. Having magic and dragons doesn't mean that the rest of the series can't be realistic.

Just because Satin was a whore that doesn't mean he was gay or liked what he was doing- it also doesn't mean he didn't- I always took it that people treated him poorly because of what he was-through no fault of his own- which is why Jon sympathizes with him-

sex- whether it is gay or straight -adds nothing to the story- The only sexcapades that matter to the plot is the twincest- I don't need people representing or mirroring my sexuality in this book- I don't need more or less LGBT - I don't need to read about people mashing their parts together-regardless of the parts they have- I know how it all works- it doesn't really need to be spelled out (imo). I also don't pay much attention to the all the 'roasted squash laced with the Tears of Lys' either- I also know what food is and don't require much description-

Yes but it is a fantasy novel. Not a homoerotic romance novel. For characters to have hidden gay relationships hinted at is fine because it would be realistic within the social norm but openly gay characters turning up at this point would open up a can of worms that would seriously slow it down by changing the full dynamics of the series just when we need to move towards closure.

I don't think this would be wise at all. Whatever people do in the privacy of their own homes is one thing but this is based of a medieval society where gay people would be very much in the closet. Having them just openly flaunt it would be about as realistic as darrio's hairstyle. As long as their has been human beings there have been homosexuals but like I said openly homosexual characters, particularly main characters at this point would knock the series off balance. Lets not turn this into a gay pride parade. There is one thing being confident in your sexuality and another being confident in it within a world where it would get your genitals cut off and stuffed down your throat.

At this point I'd see it out of tone for the book to give more light to homosexuality.

But had it been handled more prominently from the beginning it would have been no different from incest.

Yes but it is a fantasy novel. Not a homoerotic romance novel. For characters to have hidden gay relationships hinted at is fine because it would be realistic within the social norm but openly gay characters turning up at this point would open up a can of worms that would seriously slow it down by changing the full dynamics of the series just when we need to move towards closure.

Yeah its not a romance novel of any kind, and yet there's no shortage of pointless hetero sex scenes.

I don't think homosexuality is quite as stigmatized as you seem to think it is in Westeros. We don't have any examples of violence against gay people, do we? Laenor Valeryon was gay and nobody seemed to have a problem with the idea that he would become king consort. Thousands of people flocked to Reny's cause even though by rights Stannis was ahead of him. Daemon II Blackfyre's supporters also didn't seem to mind the idea of installing a homosexual king.

Archived