More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

I'm pretty confident that Satin is gay. Also I consider the feminine descriptions equating a more feminine gay, compared to the growing overly masculine archetype gay.

Even then, he's still thus far been written as a person rather than just a stereotype, which I like in general.

I'm hoping he doesn't die trying to defend Jon from the members of the Watch who attacked him at the end of Dance.

I have the impression that being effeminate in Westeros would carry more of a stigma than being an actual homosexual. I am fairly sure that when Jon called Satin pretty as a girl, he did not mean it as a compliment.

That makes sense.

This is said a lot but I don't see any evidence that being gay is a ok in westeros. The people of westeros aren't nearly as pious as we where in the Middle Ages, so they may not act so viciously an anti homosexuality written in the faith. With the surge in piety who knows how it may change. Also, many characters seem to have a distaste for being gay, even if they ignore when nobles do it.

This is said a lot but I don't see any evidence that being gay is a ok in westeros. The people of westeros aren't nearly as pious as we where in the Middle Ages, so they may not act so viciously an anti homosexuality written in the faith. With the surge in piety who knows how it may change. Also, many characters seem to have a distaste for being gay, even if they ignore when nobles do it.

Actually, I think people in Westeros just think of homosexuality as a kind of weird thing not unlike Manderly being enormously fat (which is very weird in a medieval setting, btw), if we look at the little Renly jokes.

Unlike a bunch of real world religion the Faith doesn't care about what people do with their genitals unless it's incest.

Really? I was under the impression they considered it a depravity. Though I may be mixing up the books and the show.

To feed the fanfiction ofc!

GRRM doesn't like fanfiction of his work, it seems. As fans, I think we should respect that.

But really, to be OT, I don't see why should be "more homosexuality" in the series when the one we have already makes little difference for the characters.

Renly's plot was about him taking the crown from his older brother and rebelling. He even married Margaery due to an alliance with Highgarden.

Loras being gay affects little the plot except that he joined the KG due to grief for losing Renly, but to be honest, he could have joined simply for being a high honour for a knight and to be close to his sister.

Oberyn it's often called being bisexual but as far as we know, it could be a rumour based on his dark reputation. Only Jaime and Tyrion had said he beds young men and their context was to explain he was "dangerous". The only "known" male lover of him is in one of Arianne's chapters and even that it's very ambiguous.

Connington's motivation is love, yes, but if you switch Rhaegar with Elia makes no real difference. Personally, I'm more interested on how he plans to take Storm's End than who he is bedding.

And that's only the "main" characters who are known homosexuals.

The question of Satin's sexual preference is a mutifaceted one to me.

Before the wall, preference probably didn't factor much into what Satin was expected to do. He was raised in a brothel, likely groomed to become a whore so he could pay his expense of living there. The idea of sexuality he has is likely more pragmatic than most, being accustomed to seeing sex as merchandise, and not necessarily a byproduct of attraction.

Not to say that he didn't enjoy his encounters, I'm sure it would be impossible to do his "job" if he didn't to some extent, but at the wall he has complete ownership of his body, for probably the first time in his life. Up until now, the question of having sex with someone simply because they were attractive would most likely be seen as a bad thing. He'd be handing out valuable merchandise for free.

I'm interested in seeing if\how this character develops from here.

Don't get me wrong, we all want characters to be far more than their sexuality. However, it doesn't mean that having more gay characters would cheapen the seriousness of characterisation. Homosexuality is a big part of humanity so it's only right to make it a part of the world of ASOIAF

Because representation is important? You know it's nice for LGBT people to read stories that aren't chock full of heterosexual characters. It helps enrich the experience for some if there is actual representation of their sexualities.

Might be. But ASoIaF per se is not big on sexuality. Introducing characters whose only purpose is to play the token LGBT of choice... not good. Neither for the books nor for LGBT themselves.

Because representation is important? You know it's nice for LGBT people to read stories that aren't chock full of heterosexual characters. It helps enrich the experience for some if there is actual representation of their sexualities.

But there are homosexual characters in the books and they are very diverse. And in books, which were written in the 90s, there are better characterized than whatever HBO has done with them now in 2014.

“Is it true, m’lord?” said Three-Finger Hobb.

“Who is it?” asked Owen the Oaf. “Not Dywen, is it?”

“Nor Garth,” said the queen’s man she knew as Alf of Runnymudd, one of the first to exchange his seven false gods for the truth of R’hllor. “Garth’s too clever for them wildlings.”

“How many?” Mully asked.

“Three,” Jon told them. “Black Jack, Hairy Hal, and Garth.”

Alf of Runnymudd let out a howl loud enough to wake sleepers in the Shadow Tower. “Put him to bed and get some mulled wine into him,” Jon told Three-Finger Hobb.

I think Alf of Runnymud and Garth were lovers.

Again. Gay people more than anyone want characters like us to be more than their sexuality. But most characters have a balance of having a purpose to the story, but also discussing their sexuality and desires.

Might be. But ASoIaF per se is not big on sexuality. Introducing characters whose only purpose is to play the token LGBT of choice... not good. Neither for the books nor for LGBT themselves.

Nobody is saying that Martin should introduce characters just to say he has gay characters. He creates great new characters every book and I'm not against him making a few of those characters homosexuals or bisexual.

Archived