Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

That's pretty cool mate. Good luck.

The rugby season proper starts this weekend which I'm really looking forward to. We've had a couple of decent wins in preseason games but it'll be good to just go out and play a proper game rather than rotating on and off in a game were the result doesn't really matter. I'm also starting to feel fairly good about how we might do in the league this year after having an opposed training session against a local side in the league above and it going really well.

Cheers! I'll be the smallest guy there by about 70lbs so at least it will be pressure free.

I really do miss playing rugby. Hows your fitness?

Yeah, not too bad. It's not perfect, I haven't had a lot of time to go running/to the gym with work and stuff but I've done most of the preseason training sessions so it's probably good enough. I'll find out on Saturday I suppose.

Extended lineout session at training tonight as that's been probably the one poor aspect of the preseason games so that should be fun. (I actually do kind of like lineout sessions because I'm a bit weird)

Cheers! I'll be the smallest guy there by about 70lbs so at least it will be pressure free.

Me too.

I've been giving some thought to playing for the fire department team here in Denver, pretty sure I'm too old for all that nonsense thought

Got a last minute invite to a British level heavyweight comp in 2 weeks. I am so not prepared :lol:

Top 5 qualify for a big comp in the US next year though so I feel obligated to do it!

Good luck!

Went for a run today for the first time in over 2 weeks (boooo moving). It felt good!

Also I am doing a 10k in 4 weeks. :uhoh:

4 weeks is plenty of time to get ready for a 10k but you would have to run a bit more often than once every fortnight ;)

Did circuit training yesterday and am feeling very faint aches all over my body. It's a nice feeling, as weird as it may sound.

Today after work, I'll have a yoga class after a month or so and I'm eager to see how my increased fitness level will affect my performance :)

Training schedule for tomorrow says I'll get to run some 11-12km in hilly terrain. That won't be easy but running in a group after quite a while should be fun.

Back on the wagon with daily home yoga practice as of this morning. I've been going to class every week (or close to -- work interferes sometimes) but I dropped the ball on the home practice for a while.

So, I think I am done with my bike for the season. It turns out that I do need surgery to repair the broken bones in my face. Yet another reason to never trust anything they say in the ER... Hopefully the plastic surgeon will say it's okay to use my elliptical.

My yoga class had to be cancelled because we got stuck at work and couldn't make it :(

On a more cheerful note, I ran the hills yesterday and did 11.5km in 1h 6 minutes which pleased me very much.

I haven't run in hilly terrain for a year and a half at least so I was rather worried how my body'd take it but it was more than ok.

Plus I don't have any significant soreness, aches nor pains this morning which is always a good sign :)

So, I think I am done with my bike for the season. It turns out that I do need surgery to repair the broken bones in my face. Yet another reason to never trust anything they say in the ER... Hopefully the plastic surgeon will say it's okay to use my elliptical.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully, you'll get back to 100% soon.

Hello all,

I am asking for advice related to running.

How do you prevent feet nails to blacken and fall?

I bought shoes and socks on a running shop but nevertheless I cannot exit this infernal loop..

Thank you for any advice

Thank you! Yes I was measured etc.

I will check the lacing, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, how is vaseline supposed to work?

Generally to keep the skin soft? Do I have to use it before the run?

Thank you again

Finished up one week of training for my upcoming race. Got lost during my long run yesterday so it ended up being only 4 mi instead of 4.5, but since I had to scramble out of a canyon on a tiny foraged trail, I was just happy to find my car again. :)

Nice running :o. Hills are one of the more unpleasant aspects of running around here. It's not the going up, it's the coming down that hurts. :s

I was given an advice about hill running a few years ago and it has worked for me so far.

You try to keep your steps per minute at the same number all through the run, you just cut your stride a bit short on the uphill parts and make it a bit longer on the downhill parts.

Don't overdo it either way, just adjust it a bit.

I haven't had problems since I started doing that.

My 5k erg test went rather well, according to my pre-test expectations - I did it at 24 strokes per minute (which I never thought I'd be able to do) and averaged 2:00.6 per 500m (my target zone was between 2:00 and 2:05).

Still, as is often the case with erg tests, you get the feeling you should've done better despite barely being able to get of the machine after finishing :lol:

Now I have a good baseline for my future practices and to monitor progress so it will be interesting to see how I do over this autumn/winter.

@ljkeane

You're not the only one. I enjoy lineout sessions - there's something immensely satisfying about a well-functioning set piece.

Had a good first proper training session back yesterday after a pre-season friendly on Sunday. Coach was trying to introduce a few simple backs moves to all of us - with varying results, as our training attendance generally skews towards forwards - then did some lineouts before finishing up with half an hour of fitness, which was grim.

It's distressing how quickly my rowing fitness has declined. Still, I'm ~1kg down since getting back on the health/fitness wagon so it's going OK.

@Luke

Good luck in the comp!

@Leap

Nice work, almost at that 10km mark - only a little bit to go!

So my current struggle is the fact that my personal trainer made me promise not to weigh myself (since it becomes a huge obsession). Instead I've been casually measuring myself and and happy to see some results without the ups and downs of weight fluctuations.

This is actually really good advice (and the advice I always give my friends when they are trying to lose weight)

I have to see my doctor every 3 months for meds, so I use that as my weigh ins. I have also removed the batteries from our scale to avoid the daily temptations. I have once or twice hunted down some batteries for it, but for the most part this works for me.

On a different note, I am looking for some critiques/useful opinions on this (same as I posted on fb, so sorry for those seeing it twice)

I went hunting for reviews on the Jillian Micheals "Shred it with weights" after the young Asian med student in my karate class said he had heard some of her workouts were dangerous (didn't know which ones), to try and find out if this was one of them. I certainly don't want to injure myself.

Why can't people be specific when they right reviews? "Her form was bad" is not helpful to me if I don't know which form or in what way. "level 3 could even be dangerous" is worse when there are only 2 levels. (beginners seem to universally love it though). General comments on Level 1 seem mostly ok, but "she calls things by "different" names." (also not exactly helpful)

I am by no means no an expert when it comes to weightlifting form, and know zero about kettlebells, but I THINK that after 4+ months of at least once a week (twice a week the past month) I can say while she might call things by different names (according to one reviewer) the basic level one workout seems to not be "dangerous" (not counting the wanting to throw up or pass out from the "squats with rotations"). Most of the moves are rather basic and I am looking up the swings to double check them.

The only thing that has ever hurt doing this work out is my knees a little with so many squats (and really, not always, so I suspect my own form the once or twice that it did happen).

Afterwards, I have had some sore muscles, as in they felt well worked out, but never any sore joints (excepting the knees mentioned above and that was only while doing it, not afterwards)

If anyone has any actual specific critiques of it, I would love to hear them. I don't care what she calls the moves, I care that I will not be causing myself any lasting harm. I am doing this workout twice a week, and honestly, I love it. I am using a 10 pound dumb bell and still doing level 1 (which is on youtube, so can be reviewed without having to buy the dvd.)

What I would like to know is if a specific form/exercise is dangerous the way she does it, how can I correct it and do it properly. If the move is not dangerous, but not what she calls it (I have heard this on the Turkish getup especially) then I am fine with that.

here is level 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2ssgjdIts

Do you play in the Welsh leagues HBH? When does your season start?

We won my first game of the season last weekend which was good. It was mainly down to the backs destroying their backs though so I spent most of my time running up and down the pitch after them, it was a bit too warm on Saturday for all that clean breaks and sprinting bollocks.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the second game of the season because my cousin's getting married in Ireland. It's going to be a fun weekend and I do feel a little guilty about it but I am a bit irritated with the timing, after working my nuts off all summer I'm probably going to lose my place given the level of competition. I mean who gets married during the rugby season? :dunno:

Archived