Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

The race went really well!! Perfect weather, beautiful course with changing leaves and small-town scenery, and randomly seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years. Also the running part was great too, and I clocked in at 56:03! I've only done one other timed 10k and that was 56:53, so I was quite happy. :)

The race went really well!! Perfect weather, beautiful course with changing leaves and small-town scenery, and randomly seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years. Also the running part was great too, and I clocked in at 56:03! I've only done one other timed 10k and that was 56:53, so I was quite happy. :)

Great job! :thumbsup: :cheers:

Sounds like a perfect run!

I got a major cold last week so I haven't worked out. Feeling mostly better, just a lingering sniffle/sore throat, so hopefully will do something tomorrow.

Looked at the full results list for my 10k and I was 17 of 48 total (it was a small race!), 9 of 37 females (where are the males at?!), and 6 out of 16 for my division (female age 20-29). So feeling pretty good about that--don't want to fall out of shape so need to make sure I get a new routine going. It is a lot easier for me to stick with something when I have a goal/timeline (like training for a race), so right now I'm kind of like "eh, I'll do something", but it may not be that effective. And I still need to lose 6 more pounds before my bf comes home!

Strength gains are looking good. Still need to get my 1.5 mile time down around 10mins. Still about 100 kilos (my body seems to like that weight), and I'm looking for any advice on how to pick my speed up. Fartlak? Please don't drop the lose weight line. I'm a big fella, that's not gonna change.

@peterbound:

It seems to me that intervals are the thing for you.

Run several short distances fast, with a couple of minutes rest (walk) between them.

For example, do 4-6 500m laps with 2-3 minutes walking pauses.

It's a tool used for increasing speed in distance running but it should work for 2k as well.

Putting a hold on the weights for a month or so. I am trying to get ready for a brown belt test, so taking extra karate classes (4 nights a week instead of 2). Test is in a month, but I only have 2 weeks to convince my primary instructor that I am ready (and to get permission to test). I am about 90% sure I will be allowed to test, but if I am not, the next chance will be in the beginning of March (and I am 100% sure I would be judged ready then).

Way to go Starkess! :)

@peterbound, in addition to baxus' suggestion, I think it would also be helpful to pick a day to stretch out your longest distance, while slowing down your pace a bit. Distance will help speed.

My marathon is this Sunday... I'll be a bag of nerves all week.

Sounds like a perfect run!

I got a major cold last week so I haven't worked out. Feeling mostly better, just a lingering sniffle/sore throat, so hopefully will do something tomorrow.

Looked at the full results list for my 10k and I was 17 of 48 total (it was a small race!), 9 of 37 females (where are the males at?!), and 6 out of 16 for my division (female age 20-29). So feeling pretty good about that--don't want to fall out of shape so need to make sure I get a new routine going. It is a lot easier for me to stick with something when I have a goal/timeline (like training for a race), so right now I'm kind of like "eh, I'll do something", but it may not be that effective. And I still need to lose 6 more pounds before my bf comes home!

I liked everything about this post except for that last line. :(

@HairBearHero:

Welcome to the world of rowing ;)

And the answer is: "No, you can't get strong (the kind of 'strong' rowing requires) doing one thing and fit another"

Dubious. An actual strength-focussed program will get you stronger, faster, whilst surely hitting the ergs hard will give you a good enough fitness baseline?

I fail to see why waving dumbells around in 15 different movements for a minute at a time will improve my fitness more than just monstering an erg session.

EDIT: I understand the benefits of HIIT, I just don't see why we have to faff around with a billion different exercises. Additionally, unless you're counting how many reps you do of each exercise week on week, it's very difficult to get any measure of progress when doing circuits. I prefer measurable stuff - last week I did 2k in 3:40, this week I did it in 3:35 style of thing.

@HairBearHero:

Feel free to try it your way, while your teammate who achieves similar test results at the moment does circuit training.

Compare results in 2-3 months and get back to us on that. ;)

Half Marathon update:

I ran 8.7 miles today (according to my Nike Run App). I felt fantastic, and I could have gone on to run all thirteen. My problem now is that I pulled a muscle in my back a week in a half ago playing basketball. Around mile 7, I really felt sore in my upper back and felt the need to swing my arms around for about a quarter mile. I was planning on doing 10 miles on Friday, but now I'm not sure if I should just rest, or do a 5-6 mile run, or go on ahead with my 10 mile run. I was planning on running 4 miles next Monday and Wednesday, and then 3 on Saturday. The race is on Sunday the 19th. Advice?

I would try it your way Hair Bear. It will work fine. Most sports training ideas are super outdated and need to get with the times. It's like when all boxers go for 5-10 mile runs constantly, totally bloody pointless for their sport yet most boxing coaches still fucking recommend it.

Archived