Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

You should be able to maintain a proper conversation while running, unless if you are doing interval training.

I took my medical this morning.

The results were pretty much expected - my body fat percentage is a bit higher than I'd like but other than that it's great.

It will be interesting to compare results when I do another in 6 months.

Hey Kikajon, another newbie here! Cheers!

I'm not even timing myself, so I try to avoid a rhythm that leaves me with my heart at my throat basically. I leave the sprints for when I have to chase buses.

It was 2 weeks from my last session, and today I was trying to hit the 8km mark (1.5 jogging, 6.5 walking), and at km 4 I was almost dying from the heat. I sacrificed some water to pour in my head and kept on. Finally when I was already done and stretched, and the sun was down, I met my mother at the park and we walked for another 2km, so it was not so bad as I thought it would be. I want to finish the year reaching the 10 km (2.5 jog/ 7.5 walking), so next year I can start running on a more sustainable base.

Baxus, good to know that everything's fine! A had medical tests a month ago more or less, and I was found a bit anaemic, but doctor said I shouldn't worry, everything else was on standards.

Good luck to everyone on your own endeavours!!

Hello everyone and thanks for the welcoming :)

I think I overdid already a bit and now I have an aching tendon in one foot..I don't believe it is serious enough to go to the doctor..maybe some days rest will do the job...Did ever happen to you?

I believe it is because of the way I position the feet, not perpendicular in asset, something like this..but I understood that can't be helped...

Have a nice day..raining heavily here..

Hey Kikajon, another newbie here! Cheers!

I'm not even timing myself, so I try to avoid a rhythm that leaves me with my heart at my throat basically. I leave the sprints for when I have to chase buses.

It was 2 weeks from my last session, and today I was trying to hit the 8km mark (1.5 jogging, 6.5 walking), and at km 4 I was almost dying from the heat. I sacrificed some water to pour in my head and kept on. Finally when I was already done and stretched, and the sun was down, I met my mother at the park and we walked for another 2km, so it was not so bad as I thought it would be. I want to finish the year reaching the 10 km (2.5 jog/ 7.5 walking), so next year I can start running on a more sustainable base.

Baxus, good to know that everything's fine! A had medical tests a month ago more or less, and I was found a bit anaemic, but doctor said I shouldn't worry, everything else was on standards.

Good luck to everyone on your own endeavours!!

It's always great to have new people on this thread.

Keep up the good work and I hope you'll share your success stories with us.

Hello everyone and thanks for the welcoming :)

I think I overdid already a bit and now I have an aching tendon in one foot..I don't believe it is serious enough to go to the doctor..maybe some days rest will do the job...Did ever happen to you?

I believe it is because of the way I position the feet, not perpendicular in asset, something like this..but I understood that can't be helped...

Have a nice day..raining heavily here..

I don't know how much you're hurting at the moment, but some aches and pains are to be expected since you're trying to get your body used to different kind of use. ;)

You should be careful though, because the line between "I'm just a bit sore" and "I got injured" can be rather thin at times.

I think my solo jazz dance class might be the toughest cardio workout I've ever had

I think that's partly because it's a great cardio and partly because you're not used to such activity.

At least that was the case with me and yoga. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

10 days without any comments?

Come on guys, isn't there anyone with a success story?

I'll be doing my first ever 8km erg test on Saturday and I really don't know what to expect.

Two months ago I did 5km test and it wasn't fun at all.

I'm hoping for similar result in this one, but as Mike Tyson said: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

Some of my recent erg sessions give me some confidence about this test but still....

Thanks for bumping the thread Baxus :) Went looking for it the other day and gave up after page 3 (never got accustomed to using search).

Do you do your erg tests for time? These are on the Concept2 machines with the digital monitor right? For a row this long do you download the session data afterwards to analyse split times & such? Anyway give it heaps!

As for myself, work sucked the life out of me a couple months back and I missed an entire month of gym work. Its taken a month just to get conditioning back. I joined our oly lifting club this week for the first time and picked up some valuable technical critique of my lifting form. Damn, should've have signed up for this class earlier. The finer details make all the difference. As always I will plan small increments for long term gain and will evaluate where I'm at in 3mths, then 6 and then 9ths.

Running a half-marathon next week -- first race since my bike accident last spring. I got into such a hole with training these last six months so I don't expect to beat my half PR, like not even close. But it'll feel good to race again.

And I'd like to give a shout out for my 7-year son who won first place OA today at his school's annual Thanksgiving run (1.5miles).

Do you do your erg tests for time? These are on the Concept2 machines with the digital monitor right? For a row this long do you download the session data afterwards to analyse split times & such? Anyway give it heaps!

As for myself, work sucked the life out of me a couple months back and I missed an entire month of gym work. Its taken a month just to get conditioning back. I joined our oly lifting club this week for the first time and picked up some valuable technical critique of my lifting form. Damn, should've have signed up for this class earlier. The finer details make all the difference. As always I will plan small increments for long term gain and will evaluate where I'm at in 3mths, then 6 and then 9ths.

Yeah, we do our tests on Concept2 machines with digital monitors.

We don't download sessions since it's not really of importance at the level I'm training at.

We check for coefficients - I don't know the exact formula, but it's a relation between your bodyweight, time and power you exerted during your test.

It's the best way to check how well you actually did because weight is not that much of a factor on an erg, but is very much a factor in a boat.

It's good to hear you're improving. Keep up the good work!

Running a half-marathon next week -- first race since my bike accident last spring. I got into such a hole with training these last six months so I don't expect to beat my half PR, like not even close. But it'll feel good to race again.

And I'd like to give a shout out for my 7-year son who won first place OA today at his school's annual Thanksgiving run (1.5miles).

Good luck on your half-marathon. Keep us posted how you did. ;)

Congrats to your kid, too.

I hit my goal weight last weekend. :) Trying to ease my body into eating maintenance now and not freak out about how I feel like I'm eating way too much.

Congrats on your achievement.

I love hearing/reading about people working hard and that paying off.

Thanks guys for making my day. :thumbsup:

I think I posted in this thread half a year ago or more so, though I just said I got my weight under control(lost 25 kg/50 lbs) after being fat most of my life. It was mostly a change in diet, or rather, I made myself eat less and check how much I'm eating. I'm actually a bit paranoid about that - I check my weight at least once a day.

I'm not that into fitness, actually. I do bodyweight exercises, using several different ones from the website neilarey.com which I found to be pretty good. The problem is that, although I want to do my best, even though I try, motivation evaporates sometimes as I'm doing that training, unfortunately. However, I think I'll put some more effort into organizing my training again, after not adjusting it to changed circumstances(basically, I had a training program which I mostly followed throughout the summer, but I failed to update it once I started college). I should also list my motivations for doing the training - I heard writing down our own motivations and projects and putting them out of our mind can be very benefitial to actually doing them, so that's what I'll do.

I'm actually training parkour(another thing I have to adjust in my training program) since the end of September, though it's rather hard considering I can do it only once per week when we all meet at Saturday because I don't live in the city where we train - I live in a much smaller town about 33 km away/40 minutes driving, and there's no real place there for me to train it here. Still, I enjoy the Saturday trainings, I've wanted to do it the moment I played Assassins Creed.

However, I'm shocked how weak my muscles actually are. I look much, much stronger than I actually am. I can barely do the kong when jumping on something, and not at all when I have to jump over a hip-height wall or something like that. I more-less mastered the technique, but my physique and psyche are getting in the way. I am improving, but slowly. The first training I went to, we were trying to do the vertical wall run on a 3-to-3.5 meters(10-11.5 feet) high wall, and I couldn't even really grasp it. On the fourth, I could grasp myself quite comfortably, though I couldn't get into cat and pull myself up or just pull myself up(and you must remember not to use your elbows or knees when doing that).

If I actually lived in the city, I'd train every day for at least an hour.

Archived