Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

In fairness, the 8 sessions aren't all on the water. He's included erg sessions, weights sessions and even a weekly yoga session in that - we'd only actually be doing 3 or 4 water sessions a week.

Either way, I agree that we're talking 10-15 hours minimum here.

I still think that 10-15 hours is not a realistic estimate.

You might actually get away with 15 hours, if you do 3 water sessions and are very efficient.

10 hours a week for all that would be impossible.

Indeed. Right now I work out a lot because I really enjoy it for some odd reason, but once that has passed, as all things do, I'll keep it up because I like the results.

Don't be so sure it will pass at all.

It still hasn't for me.

I see a lot of fitness stuff online saying how fitness should be about health and goals and the appearance is just a happy byproduct if it happens. Which is sound advice, I guess, but it makes me feel guilty for caring more about the appearance part!

Why not both?

I've been considering Yoga, I recently added just a few stretches everyday and was surprised how much difference they made. But I worry I'll be seen as some kind of pervert...

I go to a lot of classes which are primarily or entirely female. I like seeing the guys join in, although they hardly ever seem to stay (we're not that scary, are we?). We can tell who's perving and who isn't, I'm sure they'll be happy to have you.

On an unrelated note, an important general public service announcement: when you're going to the gym, please try not to drown yourself in deodorant/cologne/perfume first. It doesn't actually stop your sweat from smelling, it just adds another strong smell over the top. When you sweat a lot, these two smells can combine to form a kind of nauseating, almost-visible fug that hangs around you and makes everyone in your vicinity feel ill.

A normal amount of deodorant is considerate to the people around you, but it is totally fine to smell like sweat at the gym. It's not fine to smell like BO meets the Chelsea Flower Show, but three weeks after all the flowers have died and been rotting in the sun.

I've been considering Yoga, I recently added just a few stretches everyday and was surprised how much difference they made. But I worry I'll be seen as some kind of pervert...

I've been to some yoga classes with two of my coworkers one of which is a woman and so is our teacher/instructor/whatever.

Of course I look at them during class, but it's to see what should be done and how, not to check out their asses or whatnot.

Do the same and you won't have any problems with other people's perception of you ;)

While it's not any of us (that I know of), the Crossfit Games are going on and are really pretty amazing examples of what overall fitness can provide. definitely extreme examples, but still examples.

Well done Leap, the first race is always the hardest except for all the races afterwards!

Sub-30 is a solid effort for a 5k, especially considering you exceeded your own expectations!

Cracking weekend so far - today we and a few other crews rowed about 12km out to a reef/sand bar for a beach BBQ and a few beers, watched the world go by and then rowed back. Was a gentle pace so distance no problem!

Tomorrow we're rowing to a different beach for a BBQ - this time on-island so the significant others can join us!

Great result Leap!

Injuries suck! I had an achilles tendon injury happen on a rest day! Still have no idea how it happened. Kept me away from workouts for a week. Then when I was well enough, I warmed up, did some skipping then went for a run and felt really good about it until the end when the achillies of the other foot became sore. Another week out. The malaise that set in during this time was awful - ended up reverting to some poor food choices to 'compensate'. But now I'm back into it, 5am wod this morning was scaled back but it felt good none the less.

Just had a heavily spiced bowl of ramen for dinner, without the ramen - just broth, veges and slices of roast beef an loads of chili. And lounging on the couch, I crunched over the bowl in admiration of the feed to come and inadvertently inhaled through my nose, right to the sinuses, a good whiff of the chili laden aroma and this caused me to suddenly snort and then sneeze. The immediate result (apart from the mess) was that my abs cramped up! Specifically the left side of the 2nd brick of my six pack. Now, I can't see my six pack, its behind an inch of stubborn insulation, but jeeeezus the pain when this one brick cramped up was both excruciating and a wonder. I can feel you brick, and now I'm determined expose you. Could take a couple years, or maybe more, but I coming for you and your upstairs & downstairs neighbours.

Woah. I went through my big pile of too-small jeans, and discovered every single pair fits. Woot! No need to go clothes shopping for, like, ever now. There's totally benefits to this healthy living business.

Woah. I went through my big pile of too-small jeans, and discovered every single pair fits. Woot! No need to go clothes shopping for, like, ever now. There's totally benefits to this healthy living business.

Awesome! congrats DP!

Archived