Wow, I never noticed that v. 6

The Titan of Bravos faces westeros ? what all that about Valyria and the slavers were there enemy shouldn't the Titan be facing East ?

I think it straddles the entrance to the harbor, which apparently faces west...

The parallels between Ramsey Snow and Aerys II. Insane, shockingly violent, get off on said violence, no-one wanted them to have power but they got it anyway, enemy of the Starks, fighting a Baratheon, abused their wives to the point Jeyne and Rhaella were covered in scars and considered sex a living nightmare. Ramsey burned Winterfell, Aerys tried to burn King's Landing.

Actually, the beginning of Aerys' reign was very promising, and he doesn't seem to have been that mad at all back then. Though we can't be certain about when he became mad, it seems to have been something from late in his reign. Jon Conningtons "even Rhaegar saw it in the end" does suggest that. What seems most likely, is that Aerys' developed some kind of trauma due to the Defiance at Duskendale, which occured around 276/277/278AC, which then grew explosively.

Ramsay, however, seems to have been cruel from almost the beginning..

She brought Lord Bolton a damp washcloth to wipe down his soft hairless body. "I will send a letter of my own," he told the onetime maester.

"To the Lady Walda?"

"To Ser Helman Tallhart."

A rider from Ser Helman had come two days past. Tallhart men had taken the castle of the Darrys, accepting the surrender of its Lannister garrison after a brief siege.

"Tell him to put the captives to the sword and the castle to the torch, by command of the king. Then he is to join forces with Robett Glover and strike east toward Duskendale. Those are rich lands, and hardly touched by the fighting. It is time they had a taste. Glover has lost a castle, and Tallhart a son. Let them take their vengeance on Duskendale."

"I shall prepare the message for your seal, my lord."

Arya X, Clash

Roose was passing off the order to kill the Lannister forces captured by Tallhart and to destroy Castle Darry as Robb's order but this was obviously after Roose had gone over to Tywin. Why would Tywin want his own men killed and the castle he had already given to Lancel destroyed?

Arya X, Clash

Roose was passing off the order to kill the Lannister forces captured by Tallhart and to destroy Castle Darry as Robb's order but this was obviously after Roose had gone over to Tywin. Why would Tywin want his own men killed and the castle he had already given to Lancel destroyed?

Well, Roose (and probably also Tywin) wanted Glover and Tallhart to go to Duskendale, since they have a rather big portion of Robb's force, which all is lost there eventually. Perhaps Tywin didn't mind sacrificing castle Darry and a small part of his soldiers in order to get Glover and Tallhart exactly where he wanted them..?

Well, Roose (and probably also Tywin) wanted Glover and Tallhart to go to Duskendale, since they have a rather big portion of Robb's force, which all is lost there eventually. Perhaps Tywin didn't mind sacrificing castle Darry and a small part of his soldiers in order to get Glover and Tallhart exactly where he wanted them..?

That's probably the explanation. It's not as if Roose could say "Let the prisoners have their (strategically important?) castle back and head to Duskendale" without arousing suspicions.

I'm gonna spoiler this as a courtesy in case anyone hasn't read the Dunk & Egg stories.

I know Dunk isn't a real knight, but until recently I thought the best evidence was his hesitance to knight Raymun and the line about telling a "monstrous lie." It's actually established right at the beginning of The Hedge Knight. Arlan is dead and Dunk thinks to himself that he could try to find another hedge knight to squire for.

That's probably the explanation. It's not as if Roose could say "Let the prisoners have their (strategically important?) castle back and head to Duskendale" without arousing suspicions.

But I had always assumed that Roose had told them to do it to sour feelings in the Riverlands toward King Robb (it was pretty harsh and rather wanton destruction of a perfectly good castle). It was only on my latest reread that I realized this order must have been connived with Tywin. Maybe Tywin didn't order it. Maybe Roose did it on his own?

I was reading through some of the appendices the other day and found this gem:

Rhaegar Frey has a son. Named Robert.

I have to wonder how old Robert is. Did Rhaegar have him before or after the rebellion?

I bet after. One of the things that's amusing to me about the Freys is the way their names evolve over time so that you can see who (besides Walder himself) they were trying to suck up to at any given time. :D

I was reading through some of the appendices the other day and found this gem:

Rhaegar Frey has a son. Named Robert.

I have to wonder how old Robert is. Did Rhaegar have him before or after the rebellion?

Yeah i read that the other day thought it was dead funny surprised that king Robert didnt say something

hey just reading AGOT and come past this bit of foreshadowing of Bran in a Jon chapter page 89 its when Brans in the coma and Jons saying goodbye

She was holding one of his hands. It looked like a claw. this was not like the Bran he remembered. The flesh had all gone from him. His skin stretched tight over bones like sticks. Under the blankets, his legs bent in ways that made Jon sick. His eyes were sunken deep into black pits; open , but they saw nothing. the fall had shrunken him somehow. he looked half a leaf, as if a strong wind would carry him off to his grave.

i think his hand looking like a claw is a reference to the children of the forest

"Their hands had only three fingers and a thumb, with sharp black claws instead of nails" from asoiaf wiki

I also think that his skin being stretched is a similarity to the three-eyed crow

A little skin remained, stretched arcoss his face, tight and hard as white leather(ADOD)

And then he mentions he looks like a leaf and they nickname one of the children leaf so there's that as well

This was inspired by Bloodraven. Why?

In the godswood she found her broomstick sword where she had left it, and carried it to the heart tree. There she knelt. Red leaves rustled. Red eyes peered inside her. The eyes of the gods. "Tell me what to do, you gods," she prayed.

For a long moment there was no sound but the wind and the water and the creak of leaf and limb. And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf. Gooseprickles rose on Arya's skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if she heard her father's voice. "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives," he said.

"But there is no pack," she whispered to the weirwood. Bran and Rickon were dead, the Lannisters had Sansa, Jon had gone to the Wall. "I'm not even me now, I'm Nan."

"You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the north. You told me you could be strong. You have the wolf blood in you."

"The wolf blood." Arya remembered now. "I'll be as strong as Robb. I said I would." She took a deep breath, then lifted the broomstick in both hands and brought it down across her knee. It broke with a loud crack, and she threw the pieces aside. I am a direwolf, and done with wooden teeth.

Arya X, Clash

As Arya made her escape from Harrenhal...

No one saw her, and she saw no one, only a grey and white cat creeping along atop the godswood wall. It stopped and spit at her, waking memories of the Red Keep and her father and Syrio Forel. "I could catch you if I wanted," she called to it softly, "but I have to go, cat." The cat hissed again and ran off.

Arya X, Clash

House Stark colors...

Archived