Quentyn Martell ADWD (spoilers)

Malkorion

I've seen other threads, and I don't understand why people think the Quentyn is alive. Switched places with the Tattered Prince? There is a line from Barristan Selmy: I want you to deliver a message to the Tattered Prince.

So then, what? They are going to see Quentyn?

And then I read theories about Viserion carrying off Quentyn. From which POV do we see THAT?

I found only hints pointing to something else:

“You did not know him, ser. He—”

“He’s dead, Drink.” Yronwood rose to his feet. “Words won’t fetch him back. Cletus and Will are

dead too. So shut your bloody mouth before I stick my fist in it.”

(Is he trying to cover something up here?)

“We were protecting Quentyn,” said Drinkwater. “We—”

“Be quiet, Drink. He knows.”

(again, cover up?)

“What happened when you tried to take the dragons? Tell me.”

The Dornishmen exchanged a look. (like they know that something is up) Then Drinkwater said, “Quentyn told the Tattered Prince he could control them. It was in his blood, he said. He had Targaryen blood.”

“Blood of the dragon.”

“Yes. The sellswords were supposed to help us get the dragons chained up so we could get them to the docks.”

Then … then things got bad.” (there is a pause)

I want you to deliver a message to the Tattered Prince. (what?!)

Drink will do it too.” He grinned. “He don’t know it yet, but he will.” (is there a subtle hint here?)

Are the quotes you are mentioning indications that he is in fact dead? I don't get your post.

I guess the theory is that he is alive because we don't actually see him die and because of the way Gerris Drinkwater and Yronwood reacts when questioned.

See this, in about 6:30=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPI5eDuFfAw. I don't agree with it but it presents the theory, amongst other things.

Are the quotes you are mentioning indications that he is in fact dead? I don't get your post.

I guess the theory is that he is alive because we don't actually see him die and because of the way Gerris Drinkwater and Yronwood reacts when questioned.

See this, in about 6:30=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPI5eDuFfAw. I don't agree with it but it presents the theory, amongst other things.

The quotes that I mention are (possibly) the only quotes that MAY refer to a fake Quentyn death.

The quotes that I mention are (possibly) the only quotes that MAY refer to a fake Quentyn death.

OK that's clear then. I think Martin has left a lot of things intentionally ambiguous and in the middle (Ramsay's letter, Quentyn, Daenerys, Jon, Brienne & Jamie, Bran's storyline, Victarion, what happens in King's Landing after Kevan's death etc), but all will be really cleared up in the next book. Most of the situations i suppose will be resolved as expected, but there will be some twists. I doubt that one of them will be that Quentyn is alive. I think Quentyn being alive is pretty useless to the story, unless he actually managed to steal a dragon in which case it is a big stretch. Barristan would know that a dragon is missing, therefore we would know through his POV. However with what we have from the text, it is not completely impossible that he is alive.

Quentyn is as dead as Ned. I think some folk think he's not because he was a PoV who didn't have any immediate overt effect on the story before he died so there has to be.more to it. When he was probably there to give a reason why Dorne would side with Aegon. It's better to have chapters filling in some characters motivations and stuff than random stuff just happening. To me Quentyn seems like a potential dues ex machinima or random decisions got made into a reasonably well rounded character.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't around at the time, so if someone could enlighten me:

Did people buy that Davos or Theon were dead before they showed up again in aDwD? Would it be so unprecedented if Quentyn turned out to be alive?

If quentyn is alive and stole a dragon then why are two dragons flying over Mereen?

You might as well ask: If Dany is alive, and stole a dragon, then why is Drogon flying over the wilderness?

The theory is, that Quentyn is in the abandoned pyramid occupied by Viserion. If Dany can survive on a rock overlooking the Dothraki sea, sharing Drogon's meals, then Quentyn should have a much easier time.

I've seen other threads, and I don't understand why people think the Quentyn is alive.

I've seen some pretty thorough threads discussing this issue, so I am not clear on what you are asking.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61463-the-dragon-rider-adwd-spoilers/

Switched places with the Tattered Prince?

The "Tattered Prince" is an identity-switch setup waiting to happen. He is a nondescript person known mainly by his distinctive tattered cloak, and usually seen only from a distance.

There is a line from Barristan Selmy: I want you to deliver a message to the Tattered Prince.

So then, what? They are going to see Quentyn?

They don't say. Whatever they are up to, Gerris does not know it yet, and Archie does not want to explain it to Gerris in front of Barristan ... or in front of the reader. But yes ... probably it involves looking for Quentyn .... if the theory is correct.

And then I read theories about Viserion carrying off Quentyn. From which POV do we see THAT?

We don't see it ... either way. We simply do not see Viserion leave the Pit. We do not see him leave with Quentyn. We do not see him leave without Quentyn. We simply do not see him leave. But when the guards arrive ... Viserion is gone. And (unless the burnt-beyond-recognition "prince" on the ground is really Quentyn) so is Quentyn.

I found only hints pointing to something else:

“You did not know him, ser. He—”

“He’s dead, Drink.” Yronwood rose to his feet. “Words won’t fetch him back. Cletus and Will are

dead too. So shut your bloody mouth before I stick my fist in it.”

(Is he trying to cover something up here?)

“We were protecting Quentyn,” said Drinkwater. “We—”

“Be quiet, Drink. He knows.”

(again, cover up?)

“What happened when you tried to take the dragons? Tell me.”

The Dornishmen exchanged a look. (like they know that something is up) Then Drinkwater said, “Quentyn told the Tattered Prince he could control them. It was in his blood, he said. He had Targaryen blood.”

“Blood of the dragon.”

“Yes. The sellswords were supposed to help us get the dragons chained up so we could get them to the docks.”

Then … then things got bad.” (there is a pause)

I want you to deliver a message to the Tattered Prince. (what?!)

Drink will do it too.” He grinned. “He don’t know it yet, but he will.” (is there a subtle hint here?)

Yup. Something weird going on there.

You might as well ask: If Dany is alive, and stole a dragon, then why is Drogon flying over the wilderness?

The theory is, that Quentyn is in the abandoned pyramid occupied by Viserion. If Dany can survive on a rock overlooking the Dothraki sea, sharing Drogon's meals, then Quentyn should have a much easier time.

No. Dany was seen by thousands climbing on a dragons back and flying away. No one saw a rider on the other two dragons. It would be nice if GRRM actually wrote in at least one of the forums bullshit crackpot theories, like Quentyn being alive, or Arthur Dayne being alive, or Rhaego being alive, or Ashara Dayne being alive, or Rhaegar being alive, or Ned being alive, or Gerold Hightower being alive, or Oswell Whent being alive. Oh wait he DID. Aegon VI is alive and well preparing to take Storms End wit the help of Jon Conington

IIRC, that last we get from Quent's PoV is the dragonfire melting his eyeballs away. I think it's pretty safe to assume he's, heh, toast.

That does not happen in Quent's POV. What happens in Quent's POV is that Quent seems to be able to see everything that is happening to him.

The person whose eyeballs melted is the person who dies on Dany's bed. But of course, that's the Tattered Prince.

That does not happen in Quent's POV. What happens in Quent's POV is that Quent seems to be able to see everything that is happening to him.

The person whose eyeballs melted is the person who dies on Dany's bed. But of course, that's the Tattered Prince.

The Barristan POV following the escape of the dragons begins with

The Dornish prince was three days dying

The Tattared Prince is Pentoshi, not Dornish.

The chapter is from Barristan's pov. Not only does he think the dying "prince" is Dornish, but he also thinks he is Quentyn.

Then he is Quentyn. Last we saw, Quentyn was on fire and staring at an angry dragon.

When he raised his whip, he saw that the lash was burning. His hand as well. All of him, all of him was burning.Oh, he thought.

Then he began to scream.

He's dead.

Archived