Football LXXIX: We Didn't Want That World Cup Anyway

Inigima

How would Arsenal play him? As a central striker?

Likely. He has such versatility, able to play as a winger, central striker or 2nd striker with Giroud that it'll probably depend on the team and situation. If we sign him though, it'll be as a striker first, winger second. I can't see them signing another striker.

How would Arsenal play him? As a central striker?

Arsene seems to be comfortable with a system of just one up front, supported by a swarm of attacking midfielders and wingers. However I could see him changing for Sanchez. After all he did employ Bergkamp as a second striker for many years, although Bergkamp was a rather unique sort of talent.

Sanchez is too small to be a lone striker, and I don't see him relegating Giroud to the bench, so I think it is more likely he would play as a second striker behind Giroud. If we sign him it could turn into a good partnership - Giroud the more direct, aerial threat, while Sanchez is speedier and can latch onto through balls or follow through on Giroud's knockdowns. To think of both of them being on the end of Ozil/Ramsay/Cazorla's supply line is mouth-watering.

Anyway, what am I saying...Wenger isn't going to pull this signing off, I'm setting myself up for disappointment!

LFC just have to play hardball here.You are not getting Suarez unless we get Sanchez.Simples :drunk:

Reports are saying Barcelona has tried to force Sanchez to go to LFC but he's balked. Ultimately, it's up to the player, not the team. Has nothing to do with LFC or the price agreed but more with Sanchez not wanting to play in Liverpool.

Reports are saying Barcelona has tried to force Sanchez to go to LFC but he's balked. Ultimately, it's up to the player, not the team. Has nothing to do with LFC or the price agreed but more with Sanchez not wanting to play in Liverpool.

Hard to blame him IMO

I've always wondered why this doesn't seem to be an issue for players. Why would you want to live in Liverpool, or indeed, Manchester when you could live in London?

Of course he also had Turin as an option, with it's tree lined boulevards, elegant gardens, rococo architecture and ornate palazzi. So actually why would he opt for London?

I know.Sigh.Wishful thinking.

I've always wondered why this doesn't seem to be an issue for players. Why would you want to live in Liverpool, or indeed, Manchester when you could live in London?

Of course he also had Turin as an option, with it's tree lined boulevards, elegant gardens, rococo architecture and ornate palazzi. So actually why would he opt for London?

Mostly due to money, coaching, facilities and team.

Though I do agree about Turin. Beautiful city. Not a lot to do there compared to somewhere like London but man is it gorgeous.

On the cards to be confirmed today, apparently

We'll see. I've seen the whole "he's coming to London to have medical/sign" before with Higuain. I'm sure this will happen, but I need to see it reported by more than the Metro. Once Ornstein reports it, I'll believe it.

LOL PSG are supposedly preparing a 60m bid for Angel di Maria. Bearing in mind they've already spent more than their entire transfer budget allowed under FFP on David Luiz this could be a laugh.

I hope they do it, just to see what will happen

LOL PSG are supposedly preparing a 60m bid for Angel di Maria. Bearing in mind they've already spent more than their entire transfer budget allowed under FFP on David Luiz this could be a laugh.

I hope they do it, just to see what will happen

What the fuck? I don't get how they're allowed to do this.

Because all the London clubs put together have won less European Cups than Nottingham Forest, whereas Lancashire (if you count Liverpool and Manchester within that, which I know isn't formally the case these days) is probably the single most successful region in the history of football.

What the fuck? I don't get how they're allowed to do this.

Probably nothing. Would Platini actually bring the hammer down on a french club? Otoh, if it were an English club, the witch hunt would be on.

Don't forget Platini's son works for them!

Mostly due to money, coaching, facilities and team.

Though I do agree about Turin. Beautiful city. Not a lot to do there compared to somewhere like London but man is it gorgeous.

Not sure the Juve setup is going to be that much below Arsenal. Neither is Barca standards anyway so it'd be a step down whichever. If he did choose between those two I guess it's because he'd rather play in the Premiership. And the money'd be nice too no doubt.

Because all the London clubs put together have won less European Cups than Nottingham Forest, whereas Lancashire (if you count Liverpool and Manchester within that, which I know isn't formally the case these days) is probably the single most successful region in the history of football.

Well, again, Italy is the most successful nation in club football if he wants to look to history. And I'm pretty sure Madrid alone is more successful than the whole of Lancashire too.

Not sure the Juve setup is going to be that much below Arsenal. Neither is Barca standards anyway so it'd be a step down whichever. If he did choose between those two I guess it's because he'd rather play in the Premiership. And the money'd be nice too no doubt.

I think with Barca, it was mostly due to not enough playing time and Barca wanting to sell him to pay for Suarez.

As for Juventus, they can't afford his wages compared to what Arsenal can afford (roughly 140k pounds/week). That's probably more the issue than anything. He'd have a hell of a time playing with Vidal/Pogba in Juve if he went there.

Archived