What happens next with Theon?

Ser Jonny Loker

Theon's chapters, aside from Jon's, were the most enjoyable for me in DwD. I wanted to smash his head in after his move in CoK, but I do understand why he might have done that to appease his father. At any rate, I have come to like Theon again, and I am curious how his story arc will play out.

I take a major issue with the "Stark lens" (since when is it unreasonable to read a story from the POV of your favourites and want the best things for them & worst things for those who hurt them??) and "two stupid farmboys" (a comment which I sincerely hope was a joke) but I agree with ghosts in winterfell about Theon being too useful of a character. Even those who hate him (like me) can't deny that his ADWD chapters were amazing, and that he's a very well written character.

I admit that I initially had the "Theon will be sacrificed in front of a heart tree to resurrect Jon" idea when I first read ADWD, but now it seems far too obvious and dull for someone like GRRM to play out. I still believe that Jon will be resurrected (if he's truly dead) and that the Old Gods will play a part in Theon's storyline, though it will not be as clear cut as "lol bye Theon, hi again Jon."

I like the idea of Theon being the Severus Snape of ASOIAF, in a way that he's been misunderstood by all the characters in the series, and will go out with a bang in the end. (Though I dislike Theon just as I disliked Snape, I think Theon deserves a heroic ending as well, after ADWD.)

I have this half-formed theory about Theon eventually meeting up with the real Arya Stark at least one last time before he dies. It might be a stupid theory, but I reckon there's been too much "Arya" in Theon's storyline. I found myself especially endeared to the idea after I read the "The real Arya Stark would have spat in his face" line. Though I doubt Arya would consider it a happy reunion. (But this is all for naught, as I'm just talking about crack theories with no proof or foreshadowing.)

Theon's chapters, aside from Jon's, were the most enjoyable for me in DwD. I wanted to smash his head in after his move in CoK, but I do understand why he might have done that to appease his father. At any rate, I have come to like Theon again, and I am curious how his story arc will play out.

Yes. He was in a huge dilemma. It was either choose father and family or those that held him hostage for years and killed his brothers. Either way, he becomes a turn cloak. He chose his blood. The only way out that I could think of was for him to lay down his sword and refuse to fight for either side. The thing I had against him was his vigorous ambition when serving his father against the Starks. I think he could have made a conscious effort to tone things down and try to do as little as possible. Winterfell?!?!? And even worse, it was his own idea. I really enjoy his POV's though, and hope they go on for as long as possible.

I take a major issue with the "Stark lens" (since when is it unreasonable to read a story from the POV of your favourites and want the best things for them & worst things for those who hurt them??) and "two stupid farmboys" (a comment which I sincerely hope was a joke) but I agree with ghosts in winterfell about Theon being too useful of a character. Even those who hate him (like me) can't deny that his ADWD chapters were amazing, and that he's a very well written character.

I admit that I initially had the "Theon will be sacrificed in front of a heart tree to resurrect Jon" idea when I first read ADWD, but now it seems far too obvious and dull for someone like GRRM to play out. I still believe that Jon will be resurrected (if he's truly dead) and that the Old Gods will play a part in Theon's storyline, though it will not be as clear cut as "lol bye Theon, hi again Jon."

I like the idea of Theon being the Severus Snape of ASOIAF, in a way that he's been misunderstood by all the characters in the series, and will go out with a bang in the end. (Though I dislike Theon just as I disliked Snape, I think Theon deserves a heroic ending as well, after ADWD.)

I have this half-formed theory about Theon eventually meeting up with the real Arya Stark at least one last time before he dies. It might be a stupid theory, but I reckon there's been too much "Arya" in Theon's storyline. I found myself especially endeared to the idea after I read the "The real Arya Stark would have spat in his face" line. Though I doubt Arya would consider it a happy reunion. (But this is all for naught, as I'm just talking about crack theories with no proof or foreshadowing.)

Are you arguing that we should be able to dislike the characters who harmed the Starks? If so I agree, ;).

Spoilers about HP if you haven't read it.................

I also agree that Theon's chapters were amazing. I don't quite see him as Snape though. Snape was misunderstood because nobody, aside from Dumbledore, knew his secret. Theon, I don't think, has anything mysterious secret about himself, and he made a really dumb move, but not without good reason. If there is a similarity, it is with the end result. Snape, as Potter finds out, actually cared about him, etc, and then changed his entire view of Snape. Theon, I think, will come to realize how Ned was a real father too him, and may sacrifice his life to save the Starks or a Stark. Not, "ok kill me so Jon can live", but something more fitting. As a consequence, his actions may be forgiven by the Starks, perhaps he rescues Bran/Rickkon....No idea.

Yes. He was in a huge dilemma. It was either choose father and family or those that held him hostage for years and killed his brothers. Either way, he becomes a turn cloak. He chose his blood. The only way out that I could think of was for him to lay down his sword and refuse to fight for either side. The thing I had against him was his vigorous ambition when serving his father against the Starks. I think he could have made a conscious effort to tone things down and try to do as little as possible. Winterfell?!?!? And even worse, it was his own idea. I really enjoy his POV's though, and hope they go on for as long as possible.

And this is why I despised Theon, but now I sort of see a boy who wanted to please his father too much for his own good.

I hate Theon.

I don't pity him but I understood where he was coming from, I don't forgive him tho and I hope he dies.

Also Jon doesn't need anybody to be sacrificed for him who comes up with these theories?

Are you arguing that we should be able to dislike the characters who harmed the Starks? If so I agree, ;).

Spoilers about HP if you haven't read it.................

I also agree that Theon's chapters were amazing. I don't quite see him as Snape though. Snape was misunderstood because nobody, aside from Dumbledore, knew his secret. Theon, I don't think, has anything mysterious secret about himself, and he made a really dumb move, but not without good reason. If there is a similarity, it is with the end result. Snape, as Potter finds out, actually cared about him, etc, and then changed his entire view of Snape. Theon, I think, will come to realize how Ned was a real father too him, and may sacrifice his life to save the Starks or a Stark. Not, "ok kill me so Jon can live", but something more fitting. As a consequence, his actions may be forgiven by the Starks, perhaps he rescues Bran/Rickkon....No idea.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if that was unclear, it's almost 2 am here and I'm messing up my eyes by reading ASOIAF theories and discussions :D To be more clear, I really loathe the way some people dismiss certain opinions by calling them "Stark filter" or "Stark lens." Apparently liking Starks is too "mainstream" for some... or something. For the life of me, I can't think of a reason why it's so unreasonable or weird for people to pick a favourite character and/or a family and root for them intensely. It's totally okay for others but when a Stark fan does it, it's suddenly a "filter" or a "lens."

Anyway, rant over, moving on...

I agree that Severus Snape/Theon Greyjoy example doesn't work out perfectly, I just meant that I would love for Theon to go down just as heroically. I think "Theon, King of the Iron Islands lived until he was old and was happy yays" theories are way too optimistic, and I really want Theon to have the last laugh (by royally screwing over Boltons, preferably) before dying. I also agree with the "I'm sacrificing myself for Jon" thing being too far-fetched. Even though Theon does feel wretched about what he'd done, there was never any warmth between Theon and Jon for him to pull something like that.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if that was unclear, it's almost 2 am here and I'm messing up my eyes by reading ASOIAF theories and discussions :D To be more clear, I really loathe the way some people dismiss certain opinions by calling them "Stark filter" or "Stark lens." Apparently liking Starks is too "mainstream" for some... or something. For the life of me, I can't think of a reason why it's so unreasonable or weird for people to pick a favourite character and/or a family and root for them intensely. It's totally okay for others but when a Stark fan does it, it's suddenly a "filter" or a "lens."

Anyway, rant over, moving on...

I agree that Severus Snape/Theon Greyjoy example doesn't work out perfectly, I just meant that I would love for Theon to go down just as heroically. I think "Theon, King of the Iron Islands lived until he was old and was happy yays" theories are way too optimistic, and I really want Theon to have the last laugh (by royally screwing over Boltons, preferably) before dying. I also agree with the "I'm sacrificing myself for Jon" thing being too far-fetched. Even though Theon does feel wretched about what he'd done, there was never any warmth between Theon and Jon for him to pull something like that.

Ahh that is what I thought.

I am hoping for the same thing. I am not certain Theon will live this out, but I do see him making one last attempt to honor the Starks. Sure his family lost in the rebellion, but as far as we know, Ned treated him well. If anyone has been in his position or knows someone who has, it is easier to be sympathetic with Theon. At least understand his position. I would definitely like him to have a shot a redemption, on the level of Boromir, sort of. Or as you suggest Snape.

Man, I really really really hope Theon doesn't die. And he is unarguably the #1 most interesting character in ASOIAF.

He strikes me more of a Gollum of the series rather than a Snape. Snape was secretly a good guy while Gollum was never a good guy but always pitiable.

I judge people whom hate Theon & assume they grew up in a lovely nuclear family &'ve generally lived a charmed life.

People who come from a broken home GET Theon. People who have ever been homeless GET Theon. People who have ever had to make a decision in an IMPOSSIBLE SITUATION GET Theon. People who have identity problems & don't fit nicely into some classification GET Theon. People who have felt held prisoner by circumstance & then finally get a chance to break free & be their own person GET Theon.

Some say he is a cocky douche but if you looked a little closer you'll see a lot of that is classic overcompensating for being made to feel powerless (being a a lothario w/ the one thing he had agency over). Being a prisoner (he was a child hostage people) for most of your natural life will build up resentment okay.

Theon was 10 years w/ the Greyjoys, 10 years w/ the Starks when GoT starts (& not incidentally). Besides the redemptive arc, Theon is like Snape because he is smack dab in the middle of two worlds & cannot win b/c of it, and that is inherently tragic.

Besides his IMPOSSIBLE SITUATION, yea, in order to salvage himself & his men's hold on Winterfell he listened to the advice of ReekRamsay (who some people think is a great guy for some reason) & had two peasant children killed. A LOT worse has been done in ASOIAF & no one is innocent.

Archived