Do we need Jon's Point of View?

I think we may get one or two of Mel while Jon is in some kind of limbo, but I think GRRM will go with the character that has been built up since the beginning, and that when Jon is healed/revived, Mel will (a) die, (b) go somewhere else, or © just not be a POV anymore even if she keeps hanging around.

:agree:

The so far unique Mel POV was about Mel, we may get another but that one was about letting us know where Mel was coming from rather than where the story is going. I can see that another Mel POV might be useful depending on how things fall out, but not as a "replacement" for Jon.

If GRRM plans to keep Jon in a coma or dead for a while and still continue describing events at the wall he is going to need a POV. Melisandre has the virtue of while being at the wall also being able to tell us what she sees in flames, what happens in the queen´s court as well as amongst wildlings and NW. She is free to walk around and interact in a way that Shireen, Dolorous Edd or a queen´s man such as Axell Florent wouldn´t be. Also she can tell us more about her own intriguing past, shed some light on Essos and Westeros history.

GRRM is also fond of an unreliable narrator. I can hardly imagine anyone that will be more unreliable when it comes to wildling beliefs and lore, she will probably misinterpret everything related to the Others and the history of the north, weirwood traditions and children of the forest, and that will help the author in keeping things obscure and fuzzy for one more book.

I firmly believe Jon Snow will be back though as a character. But maybe not as a POV. (You never know... maybe we get a POV from within ghost).

Jon Snow is the ONLY POV in the series that has his eye on the true threat to Westeros and that has a chance to rally the realm to the cause of defending the realm.

Sam and Mel know the threat, but lack the leadership and tactical know-how to bring the realm together. Jon brought the wildlings to his banner and his cause almost casually. He's become the de-facto King of the Wildlings, and he himself doesn't even realize it.

The realm knows him as the last son of Eddard Stark even if the reader knows him to be much more through lineage, Royal Decree, and prophecy.

All of it adds up to make Jon the MOST essential POV in the series, at least until the Mother of Boring Dragons gets to Westeros, and likely even after.

Need it or not, we're getting it, probably starting with Jon recovering on a sickbed in Mel's chambers.

I just don't understand people who think that the end of Jon's chapter was anything other than a normal cliffhanger; that Jon's dead.

I'm pretty sure, that Jon isn't dead and that he will be a POV for at least one more book. At the moment, he is the only POV within the Nightswatch (with Sam being in Oldtown). Mel can not replace that, since she knows nothing about the NW - and what little she knows is obscured with her own believes. So she is an interesting POV concerning herself, the mysteries around her god and Stannis, but she would be useless for all things NW, wildlings and Others. And I think it's important to have a proper POV from inside the NW.

Sure, if you suffer from insomnia, it's invaluable.

Nah, that's anything in AFFC :p

OP: I don't see the books continuing without Jon's POV. We still have to find out about Jon's parentage, and I don't see Martin building it up like he has to never give us Jon's feelings on it when he finds out.

For me, the feeling that came off from reading that "he never felt" sentence wasn't one of finality. It really just seem like a cliffhanger. Both PoVs are so different, they really do each have their own merit.

I agree with Fylimar, Jon will be in at least one more book. Though I believe he will be in the final book in some form as well.

in my opinion, in this season Jon hasn't had a important part, because he isn't important for the story. As soon as George Martin will say at all that Jon is son of Ned's sister and of Rhaegar Targaryen, Jon will have certainly an important part ( at least I hope! ). He must have a part in a Games of Thrones!! Otherwise his character hasn't meaning to be there! :bang:

in my opinion, in this season Jon hasn't had a important part, because he isn't important for the story. As soon as George Martin will say at all that Jon is son of Ned's sister and of Rhaegar Targaryen, Jon will have certainly an important part ( at least I hope! ). He must have a part in a Games of Thrones!! Otherwise his character hasn't meaning to be there! :bang:

Season? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Even without the prophecy/secret lineage part of it, Jon is most definitely a main character. For a long time, he was our only POV at the Wall and North of the Wall. He's the one best equipped to handle the threat to the North right now, so no...he's not going anywhere.

I meant for this four season, he has made nothing to change the story, he has only been in the Wall ... Stop. I agree, but he can stand only at the Wall, he won't have future in the Westeros.

However, he has to begin to wake up and to make something, especially he has to study, because " you know nothing jon snow " :cool4:

I meant for this four season, he has made nothing to change the story, he has only been in the Wall ... Stop. I agree, but he can stand only at the Wall, he won't have future in the Westeros.

However, he has to begin to wake up and to make something, especially he has to study, because " you know nothing jon snow " :cool4:

I don't understand how Jon's location makes his story insignificant. He's in the place he is needed most- the place where the true threat to humanity is gathering. He's doing the work that must be done if humanity is to survive the coming war. If anything, everything happening at the Wall shows just how insignificant the Wot5K in Westeros really is. But Jon's story will only become more important as his lineage is finally revealed and he faces his destiny (as cheesy as that sounds). Will he leave the Wall? I think he will, but we will see.

Archived